Page 4 of 464 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 ... LastLast
    Quote Originally Posted by Bean View Post
    2WD with studless snows is more capable than AWD with all-seasons. A good all-season with sufficient tread is only marginal in any sort of snow or ice. Now go and put some good snow tires on a Subaru and you've got yourself an unstoppable I-70 cruiser (until a bunch of idiots start crashing in to each other - or you).
    We're running snows (no studs) on my wife's subaru. "Unstoppable" is not the word I'd use to describe it. It's the only vehicle I have ever gotten stuck. Sure I was trying to drive through a 2' deep wind drift but it still didn't make it. For plowed roads it does fine but really no better than my truck, does better on fuel though so for long trips it's a little nicer.

Quote Originally Posted by GPP33 View Post
    We're running snows (no studs) on my wife's subaru. "Unstoppable" is not the word I'd use to describe it. It's the only vehicle I have ever gotten stuck. Sure I was trying to drive through a 2' deep wind drift but it still didn't make it. For plowed roads it does fine but really no better than my truck, does better on fuel though so for long trips it's a little nicer.
    Fair enough, "unstoppable on moderately maintained roads" might have been more appropriate. Not much tires can do when you get high centered, especially if you have open differentials (as things are going these days).
    "High risers are for people with fused ankles, jongs and dudes who are too fat to see their dick or touch their toes.
    Prove me wrong."
    -I've seen black diamonds!

throughpolarizedeyes.com

In order of most importance to least in snow driving:

DRIVER
    Tires
    Drivetrain

Regardless, the point isn't which is better, the point is that we should have a law that results in tickets/big fines when someone is stuck on I-70 and has inadequate equipment. So, if you have mad skillz and a RWD with bald tires but never get stuck, you won't ever get a ticket.
    "fuck off you asshat gaper shit for brains fucktard wanker." - Jesus Christ
    "She was tossing her bean salad with the vigor of a Drunken Pop princess so I walked out of the corner and said.... "need a hand?"" - Odin
    "everybody's got their hooks into you, fuck em....forge on motherfuckers, drag all those bitches across the goal line with you." - (not so) ill-advised strategy

this is probably the most obvious statement in this thread.

DUH.

Hey, Consumer Reports sez the Tesla is the best overall car, so, no problem. Pass a law that requires Teslas, not chains.

Chains for all 2WD, you fwd guys can suck my balls.

You know damn well if you leave the door open for fwd, it will get abused just like it is now.

Quote Originally Posted by bamboocoreONLY View Post
    this is probably the most obvious statement in this thread.

DUH.
    You'd be amazed how many times I hear them referred to as snowmobiles. There's really nothing too special about them.

Have they ever put a price tag on 3 lanes both directions, IS to US40 junction?
    About 20 miles total of roadway to upgrade to 3 lanes, improve interchanges and redesign some of the curves.

You'd be amazed how many times I hear them referred to as snowmobiles.
    I coined this term back in the early 2000s. And it wasn't any Subaru; it was specifically a WRX with snow tires. The "special" includes manual transmission, symmetrical AWD and the limited slip differential.
    "Can't vouch for him, though he seems normal via email."

I really think I70's main problem is too many cars on the road. Add in any weather and it's a flat out mess. Tire condition, driver and type of drive system impacts the conjestion I assume, but just too many cars on the road.

I don't know what a solution could be and I think it is going to get worse before it gets better. I doubt Colorado has the money for a major capcity change to I70.

MPG. FWD is hands down the winner. For what Colorado has to offer, unless you're running a snow plow business, FWD with snow tires and a little bit of brain function will get you through just fine. If you don't mind the noise of studs and staying on maintained roads then you can probably even turn off that brain function.

We often roll up I-70 in my friends Jetta TDI pulling down 50 MPG. Can't do that in my truck. She's never had a problem and she runs non-studded snow tires. She's the exception though.

My reasoning isn't for accidents, you can't fix stupid. It's for getting started once you have to stop on an incline. Accidents kick off the clusterfuck, spinning tires keep it going on for hours.
    Certainly MPG is a valid reason.
    So then if money were no object you would drive an awd or 4wd?
    So we're traffic jamming to saving a few dinosaurs and letting people save a bit on gas?

And a Jetta against a 4wd truck is not a fair mpg comparison.
    I have a friend with a compact Nissan where you can flip a switch for fwd or awd.
    I have not looked, but there have to be a lot of those options out there.

So anyway, fwd fan or not. If the message board said chains or snow tires ALL vehicles, you can choose to carry them or not. Mess up, get a fine. Don't mess up, oh well.

Seems like it would have some positive effect and is free to implement.

What other free ideas are on the table?

Quote Originally Posted by Rideski View Post
    What other free ideas are on the table?
    Stay home.
    Is it radix panax notoginseng? - splat
    This is like hanging yourself but the rope breaks. - DTM
    Dude Listen to mtm. He's a marriage counselor at burning man. - subtle plague

Probably should earmark the weed taxes collected directly into I70 solution, who needs schools anyways?

Quote Originally Posted by MakersTeleMark View Post
    Stay home.
    Financially feasible, mentally moronic.

I had a nice ski day today, and a week day or two each week all season, but hey if it snows on Saturday and I want to ski...

eta:
    Here is the suggestion page:
    http://www.cotrip.org/contactUs.htm
    Last edited by Rideski; 03-11-2014 at 03:24 PM.

Dumping east of the tunnel...multiple car accidents and I70 closed, of course. Can anyone fucking drive in snow anymore??!!

Quote Originally Posted by The SnowShow View Post
    Dumping east of the tunnel...multiple car accidents and I70 closed, of course. Can anyone fucking drive in snow anymore??!!
    No.

It will the same for downtown Denver. My 20 minute commute home will become 30-40 due to the weather. Everyone could have AWD, FWD or 4x4, dog sled, artic cat or snow cat, but it's just too many vehicles on the road, and add in weather and it's a cluster.

I cannot remember a year where I70 has closed so often, every time it snows. Even in '11.

Looking at cotrip.org, it has this for 285: "Chains, snow tires or 4wd all vehicles and chains all commercial vehicles". I've never seen that before.
    "fuck off you asshat gaper shit for brains fucktard wanker." - Jesus Christ
    "She was tossing her bean salad with the vigor of a Drunken Pop princess so I walked out of the corner and said.... "need a hand?"" - Odin
    "everybody's got their hooks into you, fuck em....forge on motherfuckers, drag all those bitches across the goal line with you." - (not so) ill-advised strategy

Just got in to den from out of town. Tried to leave I -70 shut down at Floyd hill. Reroute to 285...never seen more assholes in full size trucks driving like dipshits

Guess I'm not helping since I'm typing this while driving

Quote Originally Posted by Danno View Post
    Looking at cotrip.org, it has this for 285: "Chains, snow tires or 4wd all vehicles and chains all commercial vehicles". I've never seen that before.
    I actually have seen that in more remote areas of the state (ex, Red Mountain Pass) but never close to Denver.

285/stopped dead just past aspen hill. I'm so fukd

Mike Genessee on 70 was glaze ice at 2pm, I passed at least 5 multi car pileups. Good luck.

Quote Originally Posted by The SnowShow View Post
    No. Too busy talking about the good spots for today's GoPro footage and facebooking the snow totals to their out of state friends to pay attention to the road in their 4wd SUV with all season radials.

Quote Originally Posted by newbreak View Post
    phones
    I agree this is actually a significant part of the equation.