Page 338 of 465 FirstFirst ... 333 334 335 336 337 338 339 340 341 342 343 ... LastLast
Results 8,426 to 8,450 of 11614
    Quote Originally Posted by skiracer88_00 View Post
    I don't know. Maybe I really need to take a hard look at my own knowledge and practices, but there is no way I would look at an avalanche forecast that points out only the potential for relatively small wind slab avalanches on N-E-SE aspects and think that the forecast actually means that I should expect to trigger a wind slab on a W aspect that would step down to the ground and entrain enough snow to take out a roadway. If this is such an obvious exception, maybe it should be spelled out for us layman in the report.
    It's not obvious on the report because they didn't call out the specific slope aspect. But really it comes down to being able to read the report and think if wind loading is a problem on some aspects, that problem may be present on other isolated aspects and you need to watch out for it.

All the report is saying is "our forecasters are seeing this generally, so watch out for this problem and don't be blind to other ones". Based on the picture you can tell that there is wind loading going on just by what it looks like. That should be the alarm bell going off because wind slab was in the forecast and you see one, whi h should be causing you to reevaluate your terrain choices.

Also, its really easy to armchair quarterback this stuff, much harder to make the decision real time. They did find the problem that was called out in the report, but could have just been really unlucky it stepped down onto a freeway by finding the one weak point. I personally wouldn't have skied a wind slab above an interstate because of the possibility of getting bitched at on TGR....

Sent from my SM-G965U1 using Tapatalk

maybe it should be spelled out for us layman in the report.
    From the report: "You are most likely to find this crust wind slab combination on east and southeast-facing slopes."

I read this to mean that the crust is elsewhere, just not as frequently. Looking at that face in the pic I posted above, you can see that wind has been blowing from the south, cross loading the gulley.

The avy report is for a large area. Local wind effects are all are highly variable. As to whether the avy report could express this more clearly, I'm not sure. I''m sure people who write avy reports have certainly thought about this thoroughly, even studied it systematically. Perhaps they seek a balance between being concise and explaining things the myriad things one should know if skiing in avy terrain. If the report or discussion is too long, I'll bet less people will read it thoroughly.

traffic sucks dick
    every tom dick harry jane and jerkoff showed up for the muted fall colors

Quote Originally Posted by fastfred View Post
    traffic sucks dick
    I think you mean jabroni. Get with the program

Quote Originally Posted by fastfred View Post
    traffic sucks dick
    #mylifeisbetterthanyourvacation
    the drugs made me realize it's not about the drugs

Quote Originally Posted by abraham View Post
    I think you mean jabroni. Get with the program
    my bad
    didn't use jabroni in a sentence ban me for a week please

Quote Originally Posted by wkd-rdr View Post
    There is a small motorboat, laying next to (not in) its trailer between the onramp of exit 240 and the EB highway. Its barely off the road, sitting at a weird angle, and looks damaged..
    Wish I had time to loop back and snap a shot.
    Well, still there. I snapped a drive bye today.
    the drugs made me realize it's not about the drugs

You really have to do something wrong to get a boat off a trailer, especially a Boston wailer shaped hull...

OFFICIAL I70 BITCH THREAD....

Seems to me the trailer disconnected from the tow vehicle, and then the boat fell off the trailer.

Official I70 BITCH THREAD, and BOAT TRAILER FAILS has a nice ring.

Owner bailed apparently. It’ll be towed/impounded, and guessing the tow bill and storage will quickly exceed the crashed boat/trailer value which the tow might partially recoup if the owner relinquishes title. Still leaves the tow holding the bag until a new skipper purchases the SS Asphalt.
    Quote Originally Posted by ilovetoskiatalta View Post
    Dude its losers like you that give ski bums a bad rap.

Up for grabs? Getting in truck....

Quote Originally Posted by The SnowShow View Post
    Up for grabs? Getting in truck....
    Won’t be towed till Monday. Not sure the finders/keepers principle applies here, but what happens on my days off...

Scratch that, must not encourage theft. Maybe make Allied a lowball offer in a week when owner doesn’t claim?

Can you guys please weigh in on this.... has this been a normal traffic summer season this year, or is it way busier than normal out there?

I'm kinda newish to Front Range driving again after having lived in the mountains for the last several years. I honestly am kind of broken at this point with how crowded every goddamn weekend has been the last 4 months in Colorado.

CDOT’s car counts at the tunnel have been consistently down March-August, the most significant decrease being in April, with more than 50% reduction. It’s been steadily increasing every month since, but still shy of 2019 numbers.

July and August were still 100,000-200,000 below 2019.

It definitely seems busier, but the numbers indicate otherwise.

Calls for service for the SO have been down, most significantly during April and May. I haven’t broken it down by call type, but guessing we had a lot less traffic complaints, and maybe a slight uptick in assault/DV. July/Aug numbers were down, but barely.

I don't know. Maybe I really need to take a hard look at my own knowledge and practices, but there is no way I would look at an avalanche forecast that points out only the potential for relatively small wind slab avalanches on N-E-SE aspects and think that the forecast actually means that I should expect to trigger a wind slab on a W aspect that would step down to the ground and entrain enough snow to take out a roadway. If this is such an obvious exception, maybe it should be spelled out for us layman in the report.
    I responded to your post above in the thread on this topic here: https://www.tetongravity.com/forums/...11#post6074411
    Quote Originally Posted by blurred
    skiing is hiking all day so that you can ski on shitty gear for 5 minutes.

Quote Originally Posted by Hott Butt Mud View Post
    Can you guys please weigh in on this.... has this been a normal traffic summer season this year, or is it way busier than normal out there?

I'm kinda newish to Front Range driving again after having lived in the mountains for the last several years. I honestly am kind of broken at this point with how crowded every goddamn weekend has been the last 4 months in Colorado.
    Heh.

If you want to stay sane, you need to find a way to avoid I-70 on the weekends.

Welcome back to the shitshow HBM!
    To escape the crowds, I recommend Herman Gulch or Second Creek.

Quote Originally Posted by hatchgreenchile View Post
    Welcome back to the shitshow HBM!
    To escape the crowds, I recommend Herman Gulch or Second Creek.
    I love Herman Gulch for a peaceful retreat into the untouched wilderness.

Quote Originally Posted by Hott Butt Mud View Post

time to convince yourself you like mountain biking more than skiing

Why the f*** is i-70 eastbound closed?

Just after the 40 intersection too. Ouch.

Some jabroni had to have caused an accident. Another lost boat perhaps?

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_20200920_134851.jpg 
Views:	74 
Size:	1.22 MB 
ID:	340881

I joined friends for one last camping trip before leaving Colorado this weekend up in the Gore Range. GPS said to go back through Winter Park. Currently stuck on Berthoud with traffic backed up all the way to Idaho Springs.

I'm so, so glad this is the last time I'll have to deal with this.

Yesterday on I-70 EB I had a total jackass in a Volvo cut in front of me when there was no room. After no more than 15 seconds in my lane, he changed lanes again and cut someone else off, then he was stuck in the lane next to me at which point I passed him.

This dude spent the next minute or so doing everything in his power to get back in front of me. He finally did and I flashed my brights at him. At which point he was triggered and decided to wave a Ka-bar knife out the window at me.

Fucking hilarious. I almost wanted to follow the guy and call CSP.

Motorcycle fatality

Quote Originally Posted by Kevo View Post
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_20200920_134851.jpg 
Views:	74 
Size:	1.22 MB 
ID:	340881

I joined friends for one last camping trip before leaving Colorado this weekend up in the Gore Range. GPS said to go back through Winter Park. Currently stuck on Berthoud with traffic backed up all the way to Idaho Springs.

I'm so, so glad this is the last time I'll have to deal with this.
    Where are you headed?