Page 277 of 282 FirstFirst ... 272 273 274 275 276 277 278 279 280 281 282 LastLast
Results 6,901 to 6,925 of 7043
    You're smarter than that.
    2 mins * (how many people) = what?

It's not about the time it saves YOU, you should use the time it saves the community as a whole.

Edit- fuck. It's GGS. Nevermind

Quote Originally Posted by abraham View Post
    Sig worthy.

It's not about the time it saves YOU, you should use the time it saves the community as a whole.
    For how many years of construction did the twin tunnel widening and toll shoulder project cost people an average of 10 minutes in delays? 2? 3? 4?

Now, how many years to get to positive net time saved by paying off 2 minutes per person?

OK, so after that 10+ years pass to break even on time, then calculate the cost in construction and tolls spent just to get to the time saving break even.

What a fucking disaster. Ask yourself if the dataset they used to determine time savings from the project was polluted by construction delays for the project? I don't trust their numbers.
    Quote Originally Posted by blurred
    skiing is hiking all day so that you can ski on shitty gear for 5 minutes.

lets talk about us36
    100k cars a day on average? Vs. 44k on the biggest days through the tunnel?

so these wankers and cdot and the state are stratching their asses trying to figure out who to blame?
    The state? The contractor? or oh wait how about that awesome deal to sell off public assests to private companies to manage maintain and charge us to use
    who was asleep at the wheel on this one and not paying attention to minor issues that suddenly turned into a big one
    that photo is priceless of the highway just falling apart, of course we won't find a politician who will stand up demand an investigation and say wtf?
    between rtd, cdot, and the airport authority all of those taxing organizations have little to no oversite
    can't wait to see how bad the taxpayers and state get shafted for this one

^^^they knew this was coming. The ground around there is notoriously bad. Lots of shifting, etc. Remember Bloom? That good restaurant attached to the mall that kept sinking and ultimately had to close? I miss that place.

Sent from my iPhone using TGR Forums

Quote Originally Posted by Summit View Post
    For how many years of construction did the twin tunnel widening and toll shoulder project cost people an average of 10 minutes in delays? 2? 3? 4?

Now, how many years to get to positive net time saved by paying off 2 minutes per person?

OK, so after that 10+ years pass to break even on time, then calculate the cost in construction and tolls spent just to get to the time saving break even.

What a fucking disaster. Ask yourself if the dataset they used to determine time savings from the project was polluted by construction delays for the project? I don't trust their numbers.
    You haven't factored in several things... like the capital maintenance times that would have been needed anyway, etc. Time =/= time in this instance... correlated, yes.

Quote Originally Posted by cycology1 View Post
    isnt it actually self steering not self driving? i didnt realize that tesla currently cant act on red lights or stop signs...

and apparently teslas 'navigate on autopilot' has much to be desired. not a hater just didnt realize these were limits still
    You're looking at the wrong mfg'r. Tesla blusters a lot... check Waymo. They are actual self-driving vehicles.

The problem is that it is just as easy for them to go to Crested Butte, Beaver Creek, Aspen... whatever is in autodrive distance from punching out for the weekend and lineup the next day. No biggie. Watch a movie while hammered and high in your robocar (pot is federal legal by then). Storm gonna hit Utah? Everyone from CO and CA shows up. Tahoe has no snow due to global weirding, but the whole Bay Area + LA can show up in SLC by 6AM Saturday with robocars.
    Europe seems to deal with this OK (replace "robocars" with "civilized train service")... same idea, really. Applied to roads instead of tracks...

Quote Originally Posted by skaredshtles View Post
    Europe seems to deal with this OK (replace "robocars" with "civilized train service")... same idea, really. Applied to roads instead of tracks...
    Europe has 3600 ski areas. The USA has 500 and isn't going to build any more.

Trains are not the same as robocars. Paris to Cham is switching between 3 or 4 different trains while schlepping gear and you gotta have a place to stay in Cham.

Robocar takes you non-stop, in privacy, and you can sleep in your robocar if it's too far to go home.

Trains are not the same as robocars. Paris to Cham is switching between 3 or 4 different trains while schlepping gear and you gotta have a place to stay in Cham.

Robocar takes you non-stop, in privacy, and you can sleep in your robocar if it's too far to go home.
    It doesn’t do anything for the I70 corridor east of Silverthorne but a “Glacier Express-like” train connecting a number of ski towns would be pretty sweet.

You're smarter than that.

Wasn't my 2 minutes. It was an actual study that showed only a 2 min reduction. Not worth 26 million. And not allowed to be used storm days. Political shit storm that the media continue to push fake news about.
    Be always sure you're right — THEN GO AHEAD!

It’s not a date, it’s a sport.TM STOP Boulderizing Golden!

These robocars sound fantastic!

Name:  smoking-chimp.jpg
Views: 189
Size:  42.4 KB

Quote Originally Posted by doebedoe View Post
    Sig worthy.
    When shown to be a dumbass or a post is longer than their toddler attention span, they go insult.

Quote Originally Posted by The SnowShow View Post
    It doesn’t do anything for the I70 corridor east of Silverthorne but a “Glacier Express-like” train connecting a number of ski towns would be pretty sweet.
    I've ridden part of Glacier Express... that would be rad.

Only 10 million skiers in the US. In the future, when there are robocars and there is only skiing in the highest mountain west, if just 5% of skiers want to ski on a given day... Attachment 288583
    I fucking love this picture. Is the location known?

The Basin on July 4th.

And I can't begin to fathom the infrastructure needed for our robocars. Will they park, loop in endless circles until rider returns, or do they just go on their merry way?

Quote Originally Posted by MakersTeleMark View Post
    The Basin on July 4th.

Nice. No thanks, but power to those souls.

Quote Originally Posted by SkiBall View Post
    And I can't begin to fathom the infrastructure needed for our robocars. Will they park, loop in endless circles until rider returns, or do they just go on their merry way?
    Park on some neighborhood side street 15 minutes away.

I was thinking more at ski areas.

Quote Originally Posted by skaredshtles View Post
    You're looking at the wrong mfg'r. Tesla blusters a lot... check Waymo. They are actual self-driving vehicles.
    ah...but no thanks. watched a video of a waymo van in traffic, making a left isnt their strong suit

but i typically love driving so what do i know.

Quote Originally Posted by SkiBall View Post
    I was thinking more at ski areas.
    So was I

Lip to through the neighborhood at 5mph all day

Yeah that shit will last about a week before every NIMBY in towns shuts that robocar parking down.

Let alone this glossing over the concept of a robocar driving your ass through a snowstorm.
    Live Free or Die

Hoping the Skimaid's Tale that Summit described is a bit further out than we might think...

https://www.nytimes.com/2019/07/17/b...mous-cars.html

A year ago, Detroit and Silicon Valley had visions of putting thousands of self-driving taxis on the road in 2019, ushering in an age of driverless cars.
    Most of those cars have yet to arrive — and it is likely to be years before they do. Several carmakers and technology companies have concluded that making autonomous vehicles is going to be harder, slower and costlier than they thought.
    “We overestimated the arrival of autonomous vehicles,” Ford’s chief executive, Jim Hackett, said at the Detroit Economic Club in April.
    --
    Mr. Salesky said Argo and many competitors had developed about 80 percent of the technology needed to put self-driving cars into routine use — the radar, cameras and other sensors that can identify objects far down roads and highways. But the remaining 20 percent, including developing software that can reliably anticipate what other drivers, pedestrians and cyclists are going to do, will be much more difficult, he said.
    ---
    In the future, powder days might turn out to be the best days to drive "manually" and ski while all the self driving cars (which can't operate without seeing the lane lines) will be grounded.