Page 216 of 465 FirstFirst ... 211 212 213 214 215 216 217 218 219 220 221 ... LastLast
Results 5,376 to 5,400 of 11610

OFFICIAL I70 BITCH THREAD....

^^^ I’d prefer a gas tax too. In the absence of nothing though I’ll take a sales tax.

Yes, something needs to be done. Or increase the ski pass costs!

Is targeting I-70 drivers with a gas tax, like targeting parents for school tax? I vote for sales tax increase. Would a gas tax go into the general fund anyway?

I think statewide upgrade of roadways benefits everyone. Just like quality education does.

One thing that's clear, is that our population has exceeded (or will soon exceed) our infrastructure - on all fronts.

Around here the conversation is about increasing available beds, occupancy numbers, skier visits, airport numbers, retail numbers. More more more. Pimp special events every single week all year long. Yet, we fatuously refuse to address wildly ineffective roadways, a limping public transportation system, parking issues, a lack of affordable housing, and inadequate runway size .. because of some .. i dunno .. selective nostalgia?

And of course the folks most effected by the issues aren't townies, so we can't vote on them.

Sigh.

</rant>
    Last edited by MiddleOfNight; 09-04-2018 at 09:37 AM. Reason: clarify tax increase

Quote Originally Posted by MiddleOfNight View Post
    Is targeting I-70 drivers with a gas tax, like targeting parents for school tax? I vote for sales tax increase. Would a gas tax go into the general fund anyway?

I think statewide upgrade of roadways benefits everyone. Just like quality education does.

One thing that's clear, is that our population has exceeded (or will soon exceed) our infrastructure - on all fronts.

Around here the conversation is about increasing available beds, occupancy numbers, skier visits, airport numbers, retail numbers. More more more. Pimp special events every single week all year long. Yet, we fatuously refuse to address wildly ineffective roadways, a limping public transportation system, parking issues, a lack of affordable housing, and inadequate runway size .. because of some .. i dunno .. selective nostalgia?

And of course the folks most effected by the issues aren't townies, so we can't vote on them.

Sigh.

</rant>
    With the flood of Boomers moving INTO the state, coupled with the existing aged population, there is NO FUCKING WAY any of this "increase taxes" shit is going to pass...

Tax the fucking ski resorts for helping create this mess. And the towns. Do we really need a ______ festival in every town, every on-season weekend? Although they’d pass it down to the consumer ultimately.

I think everyone out of state should buy an Ikon Pass and ski the Cottonwoods. Waaaaay better, closer and easier.

Maybe we could start a "Colorado skiing sucks" campaign where we leave thousands of one-star reviews for every ski resort serviced by I-70 that complains about how much of a shit show it is to get to the mountains from DIA and how everyone would be better off skiing in Utah or Tahoe where traffic isn't an issue. It could get Vail/ Ikon to get behind improving the damn highway.

I think they should build I70.5 on above the current highway. Charge a toll to see the views and drive up top. It would also protect the lower section from ice and snow.

both ballot initiatives are garbage and should not recive a single yes vote
    but what do you expect when we elect self serving spineless politicians who know nothing about running a business or bettering anything but themselves

the solution is very simple, 50 cent per gallon gas tax
    and everyone who has an electric or highbred car needs to pay a flat fee of at least $1,500.00 every year when they go to register their car to offset not paying for a gas tax
    pretty fucking simple

Quote Originally Posted by Kevo View Post
    Maybe we could start a "Colorado skiing sucks" campaign where we leave thousands of one-star reviews for every ski resort serviced by I-70 that complains about how much of a shit show it is to get to the mountains from DIA and how everyone would be better off skiing in Utah or Tahoe where traffic isn't an issue. It could get Vail/ Ikon to get behind improving the damn highway.
    I’m game. Fire away.

Quote Originally Posted by The SnowShow View Post
    Tax the fucking ski resorts for helping create this mess. And the towns. Do we really need a ______ festival in every town, every on-season weekend? Although they’d pass it down to the consumer ultimately.
    If it doesn't start snowing, there will be mid-week festivals as well to help make up lost sales tax.

Quote Originally Posted by fastfred View Post
    ...and everyone who has an electric or highbred car needs to pay a flat fee of at least $1,500.00 every year when they go to register their car to offset not paying for a gas tax
    pretty fucking simple
    $1500 on electric?

https://autoalliance.org/energy-environment/advanced-technology-vehicle-sales-dashboard/

I do agree that a gas tax for infrastructure would be of benefit (we need a similar infrastructure tax in MT), but don't go around penalizing EV's just yet.

We shouldn't be strangling the growth in EV sales by offsetting tax benefits like that. It's not going to put the electric vehicle in the hands of that average person any quicker.

Besides...

https://autoalliance.org/energy-environment/advanced-technology-vehicle-sales-dashboard/

...squeezing the dough from <100k EV's versus the 1.8 million registered vehicles in CO ain't worth the effort. Just slap them a $100 fee or some token price. Gas vehicles are responsible for the last 100 years of wear anyways.

please save us

electric cars get waiver? WTF

they sill need roads, they cause congestion
    the idea that electric is any cleaner than gas or anything else is bs
    what happens to the batteries when they are dead? mining the raw materials the process of making batteries is toxic
    you still need power lines, natural gas is not any cleaner than coal, a huge lie that has been told over and over till we all believe
    making solar panels creates toxic chemical waste
    if people really care about the environment they need to start walking or taking the bus

Quote Originally Posted by S_jenks View Post
    $1500 on electric?

I do agree that a gas tax for infrastructure would be of benefit (we need a similar infrastructure tax in MT), but don't go around penalizing EV's just yet.

We shouldn't be strangling the growth in EV sales by offsetting tax benefits like that. It's not going to put the electric vehicle in the hands of that average person any quicker.

Besides...

...squeezing the dough from <100k EV's versus the 1.8 million registered vehicles in CO ain't worth the effort. Just slap them a $100 fee or some token price. Gas vehicles are responsible for the last 100 years of wear anyways.
    It's not a penalty for EV, it's evening.

Gas tax is attempt to match road use to payment for same. EV skirts this. Raising gas taxes is a de facto extra unintended subsidy for EV.

The alternative is state mileage trackers in everyone's car, which is bullshit because then you don't get tourist gas tax and it penalizes CO residents who spend most of their time out of state.
    Quote Originally Posted by blurred
    skiing is hiking all day so that you can ski on shitty gear for 5 minutes.

electric cars get waiver? WTF
    Actually tax-benefits for EV's are much more common practice around the world than one might think. There's certainly arguments on both sides of the debate, but I am of the belief that it at least helps encourage further investment into the field (and hopefully that translates later into innovation). Notice how I stated that we shouldn't be dinging them yet? Norway is an example of eventually phasing out these benefits, as EVs gain a larger percentage on the road.

the idea that electric is any cleaner than gas or anything else is bs
    what happens to the batteries when they are dead? mining the raw materials the process of making batteries is toxic
    you still need power lines, natural gas is not any cleaner than coal, a huge lie that has been told over and over till we all believe
    You're assuming that I see no issue with EV's and their environmental impact, and I'm disappointed that you jumped to that conclusion based on my previous comment. But I'll bite.

I've got real issues with Lithium being the primary source of battery tech right now. There's been some great research done on the subject, and this report helps to highlight some of the problems with Lithium. Moreover, research into new battery technology is slow, and we're not looking at any mass-scale replacement anything soon. If anything, we need to be encouraging more research into alternate battery tech. The first person to solve this will be a billionaire.

Not sure where you are coming from on natural gas vs. coal, so we'll move on.

making solar panels creates toxic chemical waste
    Again, I've got some real issues with manufacturing Solar Panels. It's a mid-to-long term issue when it comes to disposal, and there is consensus on that point. They sure as shit are not perfect, but it's at least a step towards better energy infrastructure. We ain't even close to perfecting solar panels, nor their manufacturing, nor solar energy in general. But just using the point 'that they create toxic waste' to dismiss them nonchalantly misses the larger picture. But hey it's a nice sound bite, right?

if people really care about the environment they need to start walking or taking the bus
    I get it, less cars on the road = less congestion/pollution/wearing-of-infrastructure. It'd certainly benefit many of the obese Americans to have more exercise by walking, and investments into public infrastructure would be easier with higher ridership numbers.

But it's not going to solve the fundamental problems we have with energy, nor will it put any fewer semis on the road. A lack of sufficient infrastructure investments in CO is definitely a huge issue for the coming decade, but again this all occurred before the resurgence of EV's, and today are still the overwhelming majority of the road. You absolutely want to extract tax dollars from EV's as they become more and more common, but it's a small fish right now compared to the challenge of passing the first new gas tax in CO in decades.

And even bigger challenge is changing how we as a society create/store/use/recycle energy, but that is another topic for a another day, and is a monumental challenge for Americans.

please save us
    Hmm, well for starters it might help to not be as much of a pessimistic fuck.

Quote Originally Posted by MiddleOfNight View Post

Sigh.

</rant>
    Gas or sales will have the same effect. 99% of the people who pay sales tax also buy gas. kids don't buy much. Gas kinda directs it to those who use it but certainly isn't I-70 specific.

I keep saying we should be taxing all the new development as well but no one listens. We should be doing $20k per new house to be dedicated to a transportation infrastructure fund. Just up the road they kicked off a 3,500 house development that will be using an already congested freeway access point. No plans for any improvements. Add my tax and the transportation fund would have just received $70,000,000 to make improvements associated with an additional 7,000+ cars. Gotta pay to play!

Quote Originally Posted by S_jenks View Post

Hmm, well for starters it might help to not be as much of a pessimistic fuck.
    yeah pretty much nailed it
    i'm not very optimistic about anything to be honest
    people are shit i learn that lesson every day

and that was a lot of deep writing, it'll take me awhile to digest and get back to you

Reroute that bitch around Idaho Springs. Floyd Hill Tunnel to Empire and suddenly traffic will flow.

yeah pretty much nailed it
    i'm not very optimistic about anything to be honest
    people are shit i learn that lesson every day

and that was a lot of deep writing, it'll take me awhile to digest and get back to you
    It's okay man, I was a little heated writing that. My apologies for that offense.

Quote Originally Posted by Summit View Post

The alternative is state mileage trackers in everyone's car,.
    fuck that shit! Fuck if I want a GPS tracking unit accessed by the govt on my vehicle. It's bad enough the trucking industry is doing that on their own. They wonder why there is a driver shortage. Why don' t we just let them install chips in our head so they can monitor our thoughts too.

Quote Originally Posted by Elkhound Odin View Post
    fuck that shit! Fuck if I want a GPS tracking unit accessed by the govt on my vehicle. It's bad enough the trucking industry is doing that on their own. They wonder why there is a driver shortage. Why don' t we just let them install chips in our head so they can monitor our thoughts too.
    Totally agree
    1984 potential
    Quote Originally Posted by blurred
    skiing is hiking all day so that you can ski on shitty gear for 5 minutes.

Quote Originally Posted by The SnowShow View Post
    Reroute that bitch around Idaho Springs. Floyd Hill Tunnel to Empire and suddenly traffic will flow.
    ok, you're just stupid. just like the double deck guy a few posts ago

Are you new to this thread? You must be new to this thread.

Because every solution mentioned in this thread is SUPER SERIOUS and will totally happen in the near future. I'm sure that decision makers are sitting on the edge of their seats waiting for a viable solution to be mentioned in a thread on TGR.

I don’t have problems with I70. I just avoid the heavy volume times. #partofthesolution

Sent from my iPhone using TGR Forums

the solution is very simple, 50 cent per gallon gas tax
    and everyone who has an electric or highbred car needs to pay a flat fee of at least $1,500.00 every year when they go to register their car to offset not paying for a gas tax
    pretty fucking simple
    I'm all about raising the gas tax and sure, charge electric vehicles a road use tax.

That said, why would you charge every electric car the equivalent tax of using 3,000 gallons of gas each year? At 20 MPG, that equivalent to driving 60,000 miles per year.

12K miles/25 MPG = 480 gallons. Add in the $.50/gallon tax and charge electric vehicle an extra $240 year is more reasonable.