Knee, bone bruise/swelling with NO other damage, 3 m later I can only walk, really ??

I read such threads here.... some people are very inspirational that I feel pretty silly posting this, but since this is the first forum I actually came into where I’ve read people saying that bone bruises are the pain in the butt, I had to ask you a thing or two !
    What I did is twisted my knee badly while skiing 12 weeks ago, I was not fast, but got off piste and got caught by deep snow, my ski fell off just a bit too late, painnnnnnn, felt the whole leg shattered and that tingling sensation stayed for a good few minutes, managed to get up and skied down with my leg locked. Didn’t think to ice it, and had some Gluhwine instead. I also couldn’t elevate cuz there was no room in the car and 6 h later I was in ER with the medium size melon knee and I couldn’t stand on my foot. The 1st doc put me in the cast for suspected ACL and lateral meniscus (just by looking). Then I started reading forums and realized I had to ditch the cast asap, so a week later I saw the doc No2 (one of top sports top orthos in my country) who switched my cast with the long brace for treating sprained MCL, also said Lachman + and kept me on a daily PT.
    5 weeks later my MRI was done (I had it done on my own) and it showed no damage to ligaments, menisci or cartilage, but serious bone contusion of both the femur and tibia, as well as pretty much joint effusion. Then I went to the doc No3 (another top knee doc) who did all bunch of clinical tests and also said Lachman +, while other tests negative. Both docs commented on MRI that this particular clinic is good at reading images and 'because MRI says same as what they think, they are not doubting it, and neither should I'. The general docs opinion (all four I've seen in total) was that I was plain lucky, and none seemed to be paying much attention to my bone contusion, all things considered. And said that I would be good till Summer.
    However why I wrote all this. After 7 weeks in cast/brace, with all the PT I’ve done, my quad has shrunken. Only last 10 days I have been able to walk without crutches, with the elastic band only. However, that’s pretty much ALL I can do, except just passive strengthening exercises. My ROM is full, just a few degrees of flexion is missing but when the leg gets flexed just a little more beyond needed for normal walking and if I put weight on it, it hurts like hell, no stairs for me, just the most shallow ones (upstairs only). I can’t do any serious exercise that might bring back muscles quicker. The knee is still stiff a bit and swollen and I sometimes I feel pains around patella and underneath while walking a bit longer, when I'm tired even deeper, like two bones colliding one in another :/. I also feel like grinding in my knee, but all my joints are of that kind, I can’t really tell if this is something new lol.
    Well, are these regular symptoms for someone with the bruised bones/joint effusion and weekened muscle ? In other words, should I question all of them + MRI and still suspect that something must still be wrong with my ligaments/menisci/cartilage that none has noticed ? Again, these two docs are the top ones.
    Also, what should I try taking for getting rid of the final swelling ? I’m taking usual vits/minerals and bromelain for bones.
    Thanks for any comment

Curious. You keep saying 'lachman +'. A positive Lachman suggests a torn ACL. A positive test is therefore bad.
    "A man on foot, on horseback or on a bicycle will see more, feel more, enjoy more in one mile than the motorized tourists can in a hundred miles."
    — Edward Abbey (Desert Solitaire)

And, honestly it is unusual to have contusions of both femur and tibia without other damage.
    "A man on foot, on horseback or on a bicycle will see more, feel more, enjoy more in one mile than the motorized tourists can in a hundred miles."
    — Edward Abbey (Desert Solitaire)

Red face

Quote Originally Posted by lph View Post
    And, honestly it is unusual to have contusions of both femur and tibia without other damage.
    Thanks lph,
    well yes, as they explained ACL one +, that it is just a bit looser than on the other leg, but in the end, they didn't point out that it is something to sweat about at all. The first diagnose (before I did MRI) simply said - suspected lateral meniscus injury, he didn't mention torn ACL in the conclusion of his findings (although he felt it as +, as mentioned.)
    The 2nd doc (which would opt for surgery for sure if he thinks its needed) said that the feeling could also be because the joint is loose and there is still swelling and effusion.
    Again, one would really believe that those two, if noone, would know when they see ACL torn !
    I've also been comparing my MRI to a number of torn and intact acl pics I could find on net and it also looks solid to me, lol.

As for no other damage, but the bone contusion, it is unusual but possible, a few research papers I've read said that in about 20% of injuries where bone contusion is included, they didn't find another damage (and it was confirmed arthroscopically. Though, they didn't mention is it only femur or tibia or both.)

So, there's still hope I guess

You went to a doctor, who prescribed a cast, then went on internet forums which told you to ditch the cast, then you went to three more doctors, now you're back on the internet again. What's wrong with this picture?

I was sidelined by a deep bone bruise for 9 plus months a few years ago. Make friends with your bike and do various leg exercises at the gym to stop atrophy and muscle imbalance. 7 weeks isn't a big deal unless you are joining the goddam army or are running marathons this summer. Patience.

Sent from my Nexus 7 using TGR Forums