Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Any of you microsuck fanbois know shit about Lync?

This piece of shit software sucks. It sounds great and all, but it doesn't work.

I launched Lync on my mac a few days ago (no idea what version) and it asked me to update. Stupidly I did and it started crashing trying to log in. That was 14.0.7. IT was able to find and install 14.0.6. I am able to get further and almost log in now, but as soon as my contact list pops up, it immediately crashes.

My asst. has 14.0.0 on his laptop and it works fine. My account also works fine on other machines. So, is there a fix I can do? I already trashed prefs, repaired permissions, did a fresh install, etc. Or can some one point me to a 14.0.0 version I can install and maybe that will work?

I am on a Mac Pro 3.33Ghz 6-core, OS X 10.7.5, Lync 14.0.6
    Brought to you by Carl's Jr.

ugh. let me see if i can recall the few macs i have set up with lync. Lync does suck. I am not a MS fanboi, but they do keep me working ;-)

This internal server or something like office 365 connection?

This may be an exercise in futility. MS + MAC + MS Office/productivity apps = FAIL usually YMMV

While I was researching I saw those two terms and have no clue. I assume internal server? The 365 looked Web based if I am understanding that correctly?

I used to launch and put in my password and everything worked. On Windows boxes I don't even need to do that. As long as I am logged in under my profile and launch Lync it just works. Now I got nothing but crashes.

If youre not on a large network I cant see much use for Lync. We use it at my company (5000 people worldwide) and it is actually probably the most useful MS product we have other than outlook.

Quote Originally Posted by josef View Post
    If youre not on a large network I cant see much use for Lync. We use it at my company (5000 people worldwide) and it is actually probably the most useful MS product we have other than outlook.
    My company has boots on the ground in 5 continents. This isn't a matter if it is useful or not (it is), just how to get it to not crash. I use skype all the time but to be able to click on someones name in outlook or search and shoot them a quick message or question is ideal. I don't "know" every ones skype address, so it all being connected to together is a major plus for me. It works a treat on Windows machines, but like all MS productivity apps, they fucking blow on Apple products.

So yes, in theory it is really useful. Me wasting 10 hours this week between researching the problem, killing prefs, reinstalling, running tests, etc is not useful.

damn, i spend half my day in lync meetings. almost makes me miss webex. im no help here though.

Quote Originally Posted by systemoverblow'd View Post
    My company has boots on the ground in 5 continents. This isn't a matter if it is useful or not (it is), just how to get it to not crash. I use skype all the time but to be able to click on someones name in outlook or search and shoot them a quick message or question is ideal. I don't "know" every ones skype address, so it all being connected to together is a major plus for me. It works a treat on Windows machines, but like all MS productivity apps, they fucking blow on Apple products.

So yes, in theory it is really useful. Me wasting 10 hours this week between researching the problem, killing prefs, reinstalling, running tests, etc is not useful.
    Completely agree. Sounds like you are putting a square peg in a round hole. I've never had it crash but we are all windows based.

youll need to confirm the sever settings...maybe you upgraded and they back end wasnt prepared for that upgrade? Something changed. I do recall it was a bitch to configure it on a MAC. no fusion? I know its not "the" answer, but without plugging around on the damned thing its hard to armchair it from here.

Office 365 is just MS "cloud" version of email/exchange/sharepoint/office. They run all the shit..you just access it.. it would help to knnow if you're using internal v external (office 365). Maybe another Mac user that works can confirm their server settings?

Fuck lync, every time is use it or someone sends me a message it crashes my whole system.

Also, we only have like 100 employees in 4 states...not sure why we even use it.

spook Guest
    it's stupid shit like this that will keep you from 7 figs, bro. the women can smell it.

Lync is a very nice product when used in the right way (configured and installed by it-pros).

What we have here is more a classic pebcak where somone without technical knowledge gets suprised that their new e-peen is not working as intended in the corporate environment. They then start to trashtalk Microsoft, when the problem is sitting in their own boxer.

Installation instructions for the clients are @: http://technet.microsoft.com/en-us/l.../gg412781.aspx
    Your company probebly have a Microsoft EA / Support agreement, if you give your sysadmin a case of beer and ask him nicely, he can help.

Otherwise, get a company PC with windows and start working instead of fiddling around.

^^ At least we've located the MS fanboi.
    "The world is a very puzzling place. If you're not willing to be puzzled you just become a replica of someone else's mind." Chomsky

"This system make of us slaves. Without dignity. Without depth. No? With a devil in our pocket. This incredible money in our pocket. This money. This shit. This nothing. This paper who have nothing inside." Jodorowsky

Quote Originally Posted by Wintersmith View Post
    Lync is a very nice product when used in the right way (configured and installed by it-pros).

What we have here is more a classic pebcak where somone without technical knowledge gets suprised that their new e-peen is not working as intended in the corporate environment. They then start to trashtalk Microsoft, when the problem is sitting in their own boxer.

Installation instructions for the clients are @: http://technet.microsoft.com/en-us/l.../gg412781.aspx
    Your company probebly have a Microsoft EA / Support agreement, if you give your sysadmin a case of beer and ask him nicely, he can help.

Otherwise, get a company PC with windows and start working instead of fiddling around.
    Incorrect. What we have here is a great piece of software, from a company that has intentionally, over the years, crippled their product they sell to businesses for Apple products hoping the smart ones will flock like lemmings to an inferior OS.

A company that pushes out updates that breaks apple products for years. Google my problem. Even MS support can't answer these issues, because they don't care. This isn't just one person with plenty of tech knowledge fucking up, several point releases break the software for the platform the point releases were specifically designed for.

If you weren't such a fanboi, you would realize MS Office products are shit on Apple computers which they "support." glad you are so up the ass of a company that blatantly fuck over their enterprise customers and doesn't give a fuck about it. Do you wipe the cum off your cock on their face after you rape someone generally?

Quote Originally Posted by Swine View Post
    ^^ At least we've located the MS fanboi.
    MS is the root to alot of the evil, blame them for their new mssql core license modell, or the until now lack of app-v support for Office 2013 etc.. not their best Product: Office / Lync.
    But i must admit, macusers out of their comfortzone is one of the things i find cute and amusing

had 3 macs so far, all working as intended.

Or maybe its more a secret os patch from apple, that you never know what contains that crashed it?: http://reviews.cnet.com/8301-13727_7...10.7.2-update/
    Try to delete the cert as described.

That's 2.5 years old dumbshit. I am working off a .3 newer OS release as mentioned in the OP. This computer never even had 10.7.2 or earlier on it. Besides, the OS has gone 2 major releases (none point releases) since that time. And MS still point-point releases showstoppers from 3 years ago.

See, I have worked extensively with windows machines, as well as Macs (prior to OS X as well) and SGI's (unix). I know the current versions of OS's. You are so daft you only know MS. You had no idea that you were posting about an update to an OS causeing a problem for a machine running 3 year old software (Apple and MS btw), 2.5 years ago.

I think we all know who the dumbshit is here champ.

PS... there is no secret patch on OS X. To upgrade to 10.7.2 from 10.7.1 or earlier, you physically have to accept the update and restart your computer. I am running 10.7.5 on my edit system even though it is up to 10.9.2. I am running 10.9.1 on my now dead laptop. My new one will be 10.9.2. But I won't update my edit system.

Don't do much Mac, and if you are not using Office 365 (MS cloud) and you have your own internal server, then some of these suggestions maybe will not apply, but some response suggestions would be worth attempting:

http://community.office365.com/en-us...6/t/69747.aspx

and if you need to go back to 14.0.0 then maybe this link will be a starting point if your IT guy does not have the earlier client version to test rolling back:
    http://en.softonic.com/s/lync:mac

And your IT department doesn't have older version available somewhere? avdres, you just jumped someone else's shit for no reason. Typical.
    No longer stuck.

Quote Originally Posted by stuckathuntermtn View Post
    Just an uneducated guess.

They are Secret, as in the way that you dont know what they fix, dontfix, break or change. Then again, you wouldnt know, as you just put shades on and press accept :P .. like you just did and broke your lync

IOS is even worse, as they dont give partners time with their new versions before release.

And it was called IRIX, thankfully its gone now..

Quote Originally Posted by systemoverblow'd View Post
    ...What we have here is a great piece of software, from a company that has intentionally, over the years, crippled their product...
    Do you know for certain that Microsoft is crippling their software? Microsoft's core focus is not Apple. I am running office on our MacBook Pro and it works very well. Besides, I think both of these companies are guilty of this. Apple doesn't want anybody to play outside of its walled garden. Microsoft at least makes an effort to support other platforms.

I see strengths and weaknesses of both Mac and PC (and iOS and Android) and own Apple, Android, and and Microsoft hardware. I work in the IT field and from my experience, what you describe is not only a characteristic of Microsoft. It is difficult to support platforms that you did not originally program for. Would it be better for Microsoft to bit even offer the software on the Apple platform? Perhaps. But perhaps your problem is a very small percentage of users. If so, it may be in their best interest to put up with a few dissatisfied customers in that small subset.

Quote Originally Posted by sethschmautz View Post
    Do you know for certain that Microsoft is crippling their software? Microsoft's core focus is not Apple. I am running office on our MacBook Pro and it works very well. Besides, I think both of these companies are guilty of this. Apple doesn't want anybody to play outside of its walled garden. Microsoft at least makes an effort to support other platforms.
    He dont have a clue about lync, MS or apple, thats why he asked the question here. Ofcourse MS dont crippel their software intentionally (keeping support staff is expensive).
    If he`s working with these things as he claimed then he would:

-Know how to fix it.
    -Do a proper rollback on his Client.
    -Call the right ppl and get a answer.
    -Would never ask the question here.

spook Guest
    He dont have a clue about lync, MS or apple, thats why he asked the question here. Ofcourse MS dont crippel their software intentionally (keeping support staff is expensive).
    If he`s working with these things as he claimed then he would:

-Know how to fix it.
    -Do a proper rollback on his Client.
    -Call the right ppl and get a answer.
    -Would never ask the question here.
    man that smells like an ass kicking

He dont have a clue about lync, MS or apple, thats why he asked the question here.
    Glad you caught the sarcasm. The people who are up in arms about these kind of things are generally those who know have any idea about the complexity and difficulty of supporting other platforms. Even for companies like Microsoft that have the talent and budget to make these problems go away, there are decisions that go on behind the scenes that determine when (and whether) they are going to jump on something like this.

Apple does the same thing, and it's completely understandable. Frustrating, yes, but I get it.

Seth
    Last edited by sethschmautz; 03-12-2014 at 02:03 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by spook View Post
    man that smells like an ass kicking
    right? systemdooshcunt could use a lil e-asskickin. from a JONG no less. perfect

rog

ms support for the apple platform sucks. not just lync, outlook/office for mac is not a fully featured either.

have you tried adium (or another client) ? It is a decent client w/ some integration w/ the lync environment. not perfect, but seems to work pretty well in our env.

can you term serv into a windows machine to get around this mess? A bit of a hassle, though.