Family planning clinic next to my work got vandalized

A portion of the building next to my work was recently rented to a family planning clinic. The clinic has only been open for a couple of weeks. Among other things, the clinic performed abortions, and apparently a clinic that the doctor worked at some time ago was firebombed.

Last night, someone broke in and vandalized the clinic. It sounds like they completely destroyed the place - aside from ransacking the clinic itself, they destroyed the building's HVAC system, destroyed the water heater, cut the sewer line, and did a bunch of other damage. They didn't specifically mess with any of the other businesses in the building, but since the sewer and HVAC system was destroyed, the other businesses are obviously affected.

The local police and the FBI are here, and a good chunk of the block has been turned into a crime scene. Coincidentally, 40 Days for Life (an anti-abortion group) was planning a protest to begin today. Apparently they're the ones that camp out in front of abortion clinics and heckle anyone that goes in.

Glad that no one was hurt, although it seems like family planning clinics are pretty much guaranteed to have a really hard time finding space to rent now. The landlord was hesitant to rent to the clinic in the first place (for fear of having constant protests in front of the building), but with this sort of thing happening, I'd be surprised if anyone will be real excited about renting space to them in the future.

If they catch whoever did it, it'll be interesting to see if they're charged with any sort of terrorism related crimes.

A lord of mercy and light.

Hugh Conway Guest
    ambulance chaser and hits on chicks getting abortions

I actually didn't even realize the clinic was there until the police showed up this morning asking if I'd seen anything. The cop clearly thought I was an idiot since I had this "there's an abortion clinic next door?" look on my face. I guess I missed my chance at picking up chicks.

well at least no children were harmed.
    b

It's god's will.

I agree it is a constitutional right for Americans to be assholes...its just too bad that so many take the opportunity...
    iscariot

Quote Originally Posted by hutash View Post
    It's god's will.
    If a sperm is wasted.

God gets quite irate.
    Quote Originally Posted by Downbound Train View Post
    And there will come a day when our ancestors look back...........

Quote Originally Posted by flowing alpy View Post
    well at least no children were harmed.
    b
    Whooosh!

Surely the landlord has insurance? I wonder if insurance policies contain clauses that address tenant type.

Quote Originally Posted by mud View Post
    Whooosh!
    The perpetrators arrived and then fled the scene on Hovr Boards?!
    Daniel Ortega eats here.

"If you want an abortion, you go to Planned Parenthood, and that’s well over 90* percent of what Planned Parenthood does." -Sen John Kyl.

"That was not intended to be a factual statement." -Sen John Kyl.

* it's about 3%.
    Move upside and let the man go through...

How are you fixed for bomb insurance?

Sent from my Huawei-U8665 using TGR Forums
    watch out for snakes

Quote Originally Posted by scottyb View Post
    How are you fixed for bomb insurance?

Sent from my Huawei-U8665 using TGR Forums
    I think I'm fucked. Most insurance policies have a terrorism exclusion too (although not sure if it applies in that situation).

Some of the abortion protesters were asking if we would let them set up camp on the front lawn of our building. Maybe if I let them do that, they'll keep the firebombing contained to the surrounding properties.

Quote Originally Posted by Mofro261 View Post
    "If you want an abortion, you go to Planned Parenthood, and that’s well over 90* percent of what Planned Parenthood does." -Sen John Kyl.

"That was not intended to be a factual statement." -Sen John Kyl.

* it's about 333,000 in 2010.
    Wow that is alot of dead babies.

Quote Originally Posted by toast2266 View Post
    I think I'm fucked. Most insurance policies have a terrorism exclusion too (although not sure if it applies in that situation).

Some of the abortion protesters were asking if we would let them set up camp on the front lawn of our building. Maybe if I let them do that, they'll keep the firebombing contained to the surrounding properties.
    Terrorism =/= vandalism. Email your broker if you are actually concerned. Terrorism endorsement should set you back a few latte's.

Quote Originally Posted by neufox47 View Post
    Terrorism =/= vandalism. Email your broker if you are actually concerned. Terrorism endorsement should set you back a few latte's.
    Not actually concerned, but it's my experience that insurance companies will use any possible excuse to get out of paying. And acts of vandalism against abortion clinics are considered domestic terrorism by many; the point of the vandalism isn't to destroy the property, the point is to intimidate the abortion providers and the people who go to the clinics.

A random CGL policy that I pulled up has this definition of terrorism. It's not much of a stretch to say this is applicable.
    "The act is a violent act or an act that is dangerous to human life, property or infrastructure and is committed by an individual or individuals as part of an effort to coerce the civilian population of the
    United States or to influence the policy or affect the conduct of the United States Government by coercion."

(There was other stuff in the policy that would mean the terrorism exclusion wouldn't apply to this particular incident).

Quote Originally Posted by neufox47 View Post
    Terrorism =/= vandalism.
    unless it's done by environmentalists, when it's routinely called "eco-terrorism."

Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	anti-1-x.jpg 
Views:	13 
Size:	11.7 KB 
ID:	151927  

we do it different up here, the christians have a big anti-abortion billboard out on the highway and its had paint splashed on it mutliple times, when it was made of wood it was cut down or burnt (forget which) so they rebuilt using a couple of steel light posts, more paint so they put a camera on it to catch the vandals which didn't seem to matter cuz it got painted again

they finally gave up and wrote " abortion is vandalism " or sft like that over the whole mess
    Lee Lau - xxx-er is the laziest Asian canuck I know

It's time planned parenthood started vandalizing churches and hassling their congregations.

Since that seems to be the Christian way.

Hugh Conway Guest
    what, the christian womyn won't give your hipster ass the time of day?

Quote Originally Posted by Hugh Conway View Post
    your hipster ass
    I'd have to hassle an old folks home to have any chance of being considered hipster.

Hugh Conway Guest
    you'd have a humorectmy to be toast.

Soooo ... if one of these freako religo types had their 14 year old daughter get pregnant to a 24 year old drug addict ...

would they keep it ???
    We, the RATBAGGERS, formally axcept our duty is to trigger avalaches on all skiers ...