Learn me about packs

Just getting into BC skiing. Got a sled, boards etc. but need a decent pack for day trips. Thinking 35-40L. Been using one of my hunting packs but it's not quite filling the bill. What do you use? Why? Name some good ones I should look out for, or, sell/trade me yours. FWIW I'm 5'11" 205lb with pretty broad shoulders and ski like a god.

LT

I use a mammut. But you should save your pennies and get a mystery ranch. They will make my next pack.

Buy a Arcteryx Khamski 38, hopefully while on sale. Retail is silly. Comes in a large/long as well as a reg. Then immediately proceed to cut or delete the useless 13+ oz. of pack. Seriously. Was 49oz and is now a much better ski pack imo at 36 oz. It is a really nice ski pack when you are done. Takes all of 10 minutes. 8 minutes to figure out what you don't need. 2 to cut it all off.

Love mine.

Airbag: Mystery Ranch Blackjack
    Spring Touring: Alpine Threadworks
    "Alpine rock and steep, deep powder are what I seek, and I will always find solace there." - Bean Bowers

photos

I use an arcteryx bora 40 which is no longer made, its heavier but it carries lots of weigh no prob and it fits well

consider you need a decent suspension system if you ever need to carry your ski and you should see what pack actualy fits you

edit: missed the sled bit ....know phuck all about that
    Last edited by XXX-er; 03-04-2014 at 11:10 AM.
    Lee Lau - xxx-er is the laziest Asian canuck I know

If you have a sled, then I am wondering why you would want a pack >30L. I'm 184cm tall, and any of my 30+L packs that I wear (in a long frame) are in the way when on a sled for any distance, or on technical terrain. If you are using your sled as a staring point for most of your tours, I'd recommend a shorter/smaller pack that holds the basic needs, and then get a cargo pack/box for the sled to carry the extra stuff.

If you ski in avy terrain get an airbag pack. And 35-40 l seems on the large side for day skis, I think 30 l is fine.

What color is your sled?
    Quote Originally Posted by Downbound Train View Post
    And there will come a day when our ancestors look back...........

No need to lug around a sled any longer as this sled attaches right to your butt !

My wife got me this one for spring tours. . . lightweight, made in downtown Los Angeles, the Grindelwald of Southern California. . .

Saddlebags, one for bourbon and one for scotch. You can take the bitters out of the toolkit and fit a 3 foot probe in there, for extremely shallow avalanches. Of course, the bitters are probably more useful.
    "Buy the Fucking Plane Tickets!"
    -- Jack Tackle

Hugh Conway Guest
    Quote Originally Posted by DeathVan View Post
    ahh bobshorts. I remember receiving them as a Christmas present. Visions of super speed down the hill post unwrapping. Donning them, climbing up the hill with a diaper like waddle, then descending with the sweet feel of a snow enema. thus birthed my hatred of marketing.

Hello Kitty makes some sweet packs.

Hugh,

Had a Hello Kitty pack but it shit the bed in a break dancing accident.

The sled is a starting point for getting out to the places to heave my fat ass up the hills. Will get a box for the sled after I get my new rack built but I will also put the pack(s) on the rack while on the sled.

FUCK ME, just googled Mystery Ranch. Pack would cost more than I paid for my sled! My inner Jew won't allow me to pay that much for a pack. Anything from the Eddie Bauer first ascent line worth three squirts of piss? I have a big credit with them. More suggestions please

LT

Hugh Conway Guest
    First Ascent's worth a whole golden shower dude, not just squirts. Maybe something from the Klavern line?

Did you ask your outer jew? Sometimes they are more lax with the money

Quote Originally Posted by abraham View Post
    Did you ask your outer jew? Sometimes they are more lax with the money
    Are you sure you're not a Son of Abraham?
    Quote Originally Posted by Ernest_Hemingway View Post
    I realize there is not much hope for a bullfighting forum. I understand that most of you would prefer to discuss the ingredients of jacket fabrics than the ingredients of a brave man. I know nothing of the former. But the latter is made of courage, and skill, and grace in the presence of the possibility of death. If someone could make a jacket of those three things it would no doubt be the most popular and prized item in all of your closets.

It's a Backpack, a Toy, and a Rug All in One!

I've got an older model snowpulse airbag pack, new with tags (never used, duh?).
    It's got the base unit and 3 zip on packs (15L, 30L and 45L).

Let me know if you'd be interested.
    Aggressive in my own mind

Quote Originally Posted by JoeStrummer View Post
    My wife got me this one for spring tours. . . lightweight, made in downtown Los Angeles, the Grindelwald of Southern California. . .

Saddlebags, one for bourbon and one for scotch.
    Why would you bring one bourbon when you could just as easily bring two scotch's?
    Makes no sense.

Quote Originally Posted by AweShuksan View Post
    Why would you bring one bourbon when you could just as easily bring two scotch's?
    Makes no sense.
    That's George Thoroughgood's pack, the beer is carries inside.

I agree it is a constitutional right for Americans to be assholes...its just too bad that so many take the opportunity...
    iscariot

Quote Originally Posted by hutash View Post
    That's George Thoroughgood's pack, the beer is carries inside.
    Good point, but if you stuck with George's approved 1:1:1 ratio, you would run out of beer long before you had put much of a dent in the scotch or bourbon.