Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Question about skiing powder in Aspen

So I'm going to ski Ajax, Highlands, and Snowmass on Tues, Wed, and Thurs but haven't decided which day to ski each mountain. Wednesday looks to be a powder day, so should I ski Highlands that day? Or do they close the bowl for blasting and I would be better off at Snowmass and wait to ski Highlands on Thurs?

wwmd? tia
    Live each season as it passes; breathe the air, drink the drink, taste the fruit, and resign yourself to the influences of each.
    Henry David Thoreau

call patrol at highlands and see.
    Terje was right.

"We're all kooks to somebody else." -Shelby Menzel

In my experience, it takes longer for patrol at Snowmass to open up anything on the wall or the Cirque than it takes for patrol to open most of Temerity and at least part of the bowl on Highlands. In either case you want to be at Snowmass or Highlands. That's where you'll achieve the most vertical.

Quote Originally Posted by Hangingvalleywall View Post
    In my experience, it takes longer for patrol at Snowmass to open up anything on the wall or the Cirque than it takes for patrol to open most of Temerity and at least part of the bowl on Highlands. In either case you want to be at Snowmass or Highlands. That's where you'll achieve the most vertical.
    Thanks for solid info. And you made an account, many thanks!
    Live each season as it passes; breathe the air, drink the drink, taste the fruit, and resign yourself to the influences of each.
    Henry David Thoreau

Quote Originally Posted by SheRa View Post
    Thanks for solid info. And you made an account, many thanks!
    Except he doesn't know what he's talking about. More vert at Snowmass than at Aspen, get fucking real.

Do you have someone good to show you around?

Aspen during the storm, riding the bucket with three of your best freinds is a blast. Seek out the gated terrain.
    Highland's the next. The bowl is a must, but don't miss the expert terrain on the lower mountain.
    Snowmass last if you've never been and then only if it's not windy. Snowmass has some great terrain, but it's very spread out and takes a long time to access.

Highlands Bowl is awesome on a powder day but remember it's a long hike and if you get 3 laps unless you're an animal you'll spend half your time hiking. If you do go get early and highly recommend hiking to Hyde Park and dropping in Temerity.
    Snowmass on the other hand I'd ride the gondola or pay parking at Two creeks. Head to High Alpine for a couple laps while they open the Wall.
    Then you can lap the Wall once an hour all day hit Burnt Mtn for slackcountry if parked at Two Creeks or if you don't mind bussin end o day.

Quote Originally Posted by Shredhead View Post
    Except he doesn't know what he's talking about. More vert at Snowmass than at Aspen, get fucking real.

Aspen during the storm, riding the bucket with three of your best freinds is a blast. Seek out the gated terrain.
    Highland's the next. The bowl is a must, but don't miss the expert terrain on the lower mountain.
    Snowmass last if you've never been and then only if it's not windy. Snowmass has some great terrain, but it's very spread out and takes a long time to access.
    Hahha, website says 4406 vert at Snowmass and I think that's more than Jackson or Breck. Not that you'd want to lap it that way.

I skied all those mountains many years ago, including hiking Highlands Bowl - so amazing. I've got the overall layout, but not the nooks and crannies of course. I'm heading over there on a scouting mission - may make the move next season. If that happens I would def appreciate some local guidance to the goods. This trip I'm meeting up with a PSIA bigwig, just socially for a meal. A little schmoozing to check out the job situation - I think they could want me working at Highlands, but my gut feeling is that I'll be better off at Snowmass, longer season, more kids, etc. It'll be a tough choice I'm sure...

So anyway, I'm going to be solo, and evaluating the learning terrain, not just banging the steeps.
    Henry David Thoreau

Quote Originally Posted by whipski View Post
    Highlands Bowl is awesome on a powder day but remember it's a long hike and if you get 3 laps unless you're an animal you'll spend half your time hiking. If you do go get early and highly recommend hiking to Hyde Park and dropping in Temerity.
    Snowmass on the other hand I'd ride the gondola or pay parking at Two creeks. Head to High Alpine for a couple laps while they open the Wall.
    Then you can lap the Wall once an hour all day hit Burnt Mtn for slackcountry if parked at Two Creeks or if you don't mind bussin end o day.
    Nice, good advice, thanks. No slack this trip, sadly, much as I prefer it. Feels like this will be a great week for it too.
    Henry David Thoreau

Hahha, website says 4406 vert at Snowmass and I think that's more than Jackson or Breck. Not that you'd want to lap it that way.

I skied all those mountains many years ago, including hiking Highlands Bowl - so amazing. I've got the overall layout, but not the nooks and crannies of course. I'm heading over there on a scouting mission - may make the move next season. If that happens I would def appreciate some local guidance to the goods. This trip I'm meeting up with a PSIA bigwig, just socially for a meal. A little schmoozing to check out the job situation - I think they could want me working at Highlands, but my gut feeling is that I'll be better off at Snowmass, longer season, more kids, etc. It'll be a tough choice I'm sure...

So anyway, I'm going to be solo, and evaluating the learning terrain, not just banging the steeps.
    It takes 3-4 lifts to lap that vert though...

Ski Ajax in the am on a powder day and jump over to highlands to ski the bowl in the pm... ski snowmass the day after the storm.

While shredhead is right about most of what he is saying about snowmass... there are ways to get great laps in on the 'mass without trekking all over the place.
    www.dpsskis.com
    www.point6.com
    formerly an ambassador for a few others, but the ski industry is... interesting.
    Fukt: a very small amount of snow.

Quote Originally Posted by grskier View Post
    Ski Ajax in the am on a powder day and jump over to highlands to ski the bowl in the pm... ski snowmass the day after the storm.
    Now there's a thought. Hmmm, I guess park at Highlands and take a bus...
    Henry David Thoreau

Where you staying?

Highlands parking is limited, free after noon and on Wednesdays.
    The free lot is out at Buttermilk and Snowmass has the rodeo lot.
    I really don't know much about parking in town. I have a space and I don't move, so I don't have to deal with it.

Snowmass SS would definetly have more kids classes. Aspen's expensive, but you will make more and probably net more.

I'm at the Days Inn in Carbondale - great price and a pool! About to go see if this town knows how to do Mexican food.

I'm willing to pay $10 for parking at Highlands but I'll def look at Buttermilk if the bus to get between the areas is easy. It would be nice to be able to walk around Aspen without ski boots. I'll figure it out.
    Henry David Thoreau

Aspen=Ajax correct? That place sucks-seriously . Some fun little lines but seems like one big fire road, traverse. Even the early up days with patrol and the rich yuppies I always felt like it was just "off". Weird fall lines. Fun but not worth what they charge. I would spend all my time at slow mass and highlands. Butter milk/Ajax blows. The town is a legendary hang of course. Those parties out on the art trails, woody creek. Always amazed me how many weirdos and freaks are there along with those endless Chad and Muffies showing off their $$

Ps-if your moving there be prepared to work 2-3 jobs to live IN town. Otherwise your down in Methdale or worse. It is no bullshit that the in town locals work as patrol/Chef/Babysitter/House manager/Catering waiter/ you get the idea. Then again if you get in with the right family the sky's the limit.

It looks like this is Michelle Obama and her daughters' 3rd season coming to Aspen, after one trip to Vail, which I guess didn't suit. They skied at Buttermilk, maybe I should try to work over there for the monies...
    Henry David Thoreau

follow the money trail.
    b

Gonna shred snowmass thurs after a meeting if you want me to show you around for a lap or two.

Aspen's a great hill that's rewards good skiers. Ski Kristi's-Bingo, Cone-SL Hill or Trainors-Norway tomorrow and judge for yourself.

Quote Originally Posted by Asspen View Post
    Gonna shred snowmass thurs after a meeting if you want me to show you around for a lap or two.
    Yeah, awesome.

Aspen's a great hill that's rewards good skiers. Ski Kristi's-Bingo, Cone-SL Hill or Trainors-Norway tomorrow and judge for yourself.
    Thanks! I will do exactly that.
    Henry David Thoreau

I'm at the Days Inn in Carbondale - great price and a pool! About to go see if this town knows how to do Mexican food.

I'm willing to pay $10 for parking at Highlands but I'll def look at Buttermilk if the bus to get between the areas is easy. It would be nice to be able to walk around Aspen without ski boots. I'll figure it out.
    I stayed there for a week this time last year. Nice folks running it. Pool was cold to me, but the 7 year old stayed in til pruny. but hot tub was warm. Trying the comfort inn next door in a few weeks when we go back.

We mostly ate sandwiches/bagels and things we could keep in our room fridge. Ate one time at the kitschy diner across the street. Think 50's motif burgers and milkshakes. Let me know if you find good mexican.
    The liquor store in the parking lot of the days inn had a good beer selection.

Shred and Asspen were a big help las year with beta for our trip.

Have fun!

I like Methdale enough that I bought a big ass house in Cerise Ranch. My tenants have been great, but they're getting a deed restricted place up in town.
    If any responsible maggots need a place to rent in May, shoot me a PM.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IS1kw12wllkuxv.jpg 
Views:	180 
Size:	39.4 KB 
ID:	151850

I don't eat down there often, but I was really impressed by Allegria. It's the chef from Cloud Nine out at Highlands.

The skiing was freaking awesome at Highlands today. First I tested the corderoy at the bottom, which was pristine. Then I lapped Temerity which made me pretty tired so I hiked Highlands Bowl to the very top and skied right down the gut. Great weather and snow. On my way back down the front I watched some guides dropping off the track into some steep west facing glades and thought if they like it, I might like it too. A random patroller comes along and we chat about it, the run is called No Name, and we ended up skiing together. He was so nice (Jules?) - he toured me around a bit and explained how to get the most out of a powder day.

I wrote a bunch of other stuff, but took it off. Job stuff. I need to keep it quiet.
    Henry David Thoreau

You know what, everybody here is really nice. And it's not crowded. And it's steep. So fun.

It just occurred to me that Highlands is shaped the same as Silverton, with a spine going up and up from north to south. So there is a narrow front side that is north facing and a lot of drops to the left and right.
    Henry David Thoreau

Good luck. If you think want the gig, I hope you get it.

(and you surely could end up in worse places than Aspen)

Quote Originally Posted by Rodneyyee View Post
    Aspen=Ajax correct? That place sucks-seriously . Some fun little lines but seems like one big fire road, traverse. Even the early up days with patrol and the rich yuppies I always felt like it was just "off". Weird fall lines. Fun but not worth what they charge. I would spend all my time at slow mass and highlands. Butter milk/Ajax blows. The town is a legendary hang of course. Those parties out on the art trails, woody creek. Always amazed me how many weirdos and freaks are there along with those endless Chad and Muffies showing off their $$

Ps-if your moving there be prepared to work 2-3 jobs to live IN town. Otherwise your down in Methdale or worse. It is no bullshit that the in town locals work as patrol/Chef/Babysitter/House manager/Catering waiter/ you get the idea. Then again if you get in with the right family the sky's the limit.
    I had no idea Rob Ford posted here....
    www.dpsskis.com
    www.point6.com
    formerly an ambassador for a few others, but the ski industry is... interesting.

'bonedale has plenty of good Mexican food... Glad you had a good day at Highlands.. hard to not have a good one when conditions are good.
    www.dpsskis.com
    www.point6.com