Page 4 of 28 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 ... LastLast

Thread: '14 NE thread

The 10 day swell has ended which means the fatty came back out yesterday. 2 Fridays ago it was still full on deep crust cruising. Yesterday was a mix of full melt out, standing water, and fairly deep snow/ice here and there. Was surprised how rideable it was overall. Another week or so and we should be snow/ice free. Rode with a skinny tired friend yesterday and it's amazing what the fatty rode thru that stopped the 2.3's in their tracks. Fatty's love water crossings and mud

rog

Oui oui

rog

I FUCKING LOVE BIKING

ME TOO!

rog

Haha, sorry, I guess I should've clarified there. I commute by bike too, but I'm fortunate that only 1 out of 7 miles is on a road, the rest is bike path and the dirt path along the Charles.

Went to the Highland training center on Saturday and hit the foam pit about 30 times. I'm gonna probably spend some more time in there, really awesome to try and dial in some things without worrying about smashing into the ground!

Finally got out on my new bike yesterday and I am beyond stoked! I gotta trim the brake lines a bit and clean up some cables, but I am loving it so far!

Mountain Creek had their transition race last weekend - Half Ski/Snowboard Half Bike Race with combined places resulting in your overall place with a tiebreaker via overall time. Pics stolen from mtn creeks FB Page

Skiing was slow and soft, will need some less baggy clothing next year. Knuckledraggers bitched about skiers being faster...no shit.

The biking was cold, muddy, and rutty, but FKNA it kicked ass to be riding lifts

Riding downhill on corn=sketchy as fuck

Carnage ensued...

Chase killed it on the bike finishing in 2:30

I wear crocs for the style, not the comfort.

^^^that's a kick ass event. Good on ya for gettin' out.

Anospa- noice.
    Last edited by biggins; 04-09-2014 at 08:41 PM.

just..........about.............frozen precip..............free...............here....... .........by the...............beach

trails are wet. fatty bliss

rog

Trails in NJ were prime this weekend, got out to Stephens State park for some fast flowy natural downhills before the bugs come out and make it unrideable. 80 degrees, dry, didn't see another soul out there. couldn't of been better.
    I wear crocs for the style, not the comfort.

Bailed on skiing yesterday due to rain, so went for a quick rip in the rain at Landlocked in the AM and then Vietnam in the afternoon. F-16 is way bigger now, they added a second layer of rocks and dirt to the lip, gonna have to get my head around that thing now! Sucky part was my friends getting at least 3 flats throughout the day, and for some stupid reason, there were already mosquitoes buzzing around at dusk! I was hoping for another week or two of no bug spray...

thought I could get some trail work in yesterday w/out those little phucks being out, but no! Two ticks, one latched on. Damn I hate those things!

Rode the 29er today and it was so fast compared to my fatank, but admittedly it really didn't matter. The fatty is so much fun. I really like having both options.

Bike season is on!

Nice cold day to do some trail work at my lunch time ride! Stoked to see a new rake and markers ready for more trail building by the other guy riding out there.

Fatty rides over mud and water oh so nice! I dig having two options. So fun! Everyone needs a fatty!

one from today in Walpole, NH.
    crab in my shoe mouth

cold weather continues = more trail work getting done. about 3/4 done with the new trail I started last year. stoked for this to be done. the fatty rides so nice on new soft trails

Today I came to the conclusion that I have a few bikes that need to be sold. I really see no reason for anything unfat except for something long travel full squish for lift served days.

Or get rid of that one too and get a longish travel fatty when something reasonable comes out. What a problem

Quote Originally Posted by gravitylover View Post
    Today I came to the conclusion that I have a few bikes that need to be sold. I really see no reason for anything unfat except for something long travel full squish for lift served days.
    amen

just put a new chain on mine. the 1x10 setup is killah!

dirt in the am!

rog

Quote Originally Posted by strawjack View Post
    cold weather continues = more trail work getting done. about 3/4 done with the new trail I started last year. stoked for this to be done. the fatty rides so nice on new soft trails

nice mang! you put them new toobz in yet?

rog

Or get rid of that one too and get a longish travel fatty when something reasonable comes out. What a problem
    Yeah, I don't know. I'm not the biker you are, but I really dig my FS 29er and I really like the fatty too. Granted, my fatty is a pos in the fat world, but I still have fun on it. My issue with fat tires is they bounce a fair amount, so I get thrown around at times. I'm trying to comprehend adding FS to a fatbike. What do you gain over a regular FS bike? I'm assuming you would add more lbs to the tires and use the suspension, so then what are the fat tires for? Aside from rolling over shit. These are all serious questions I've been mtn biking for a long fucking time and I'm still a jong!

Yeah, I put the new tubes in. Half the weight!

Quote Originally Posted by strawjack View Post
    .... I'm trying to comprehend adding FS to a fatbike. What do you gain over a regular FS bike? I'm assuming you would add more lbs to the tires and use the suspension, so then what are the fat tires for? Aside from rolling over shit. These are all serious questions I've been mtn biking for a long fucking time and I'm still a jong!
    Read this early review of the Bucksaw, it might answer your question:
    http://www.bikeradar.com/us/mtb/gear...aw-48322/#null

In a nutshell:

Many readers will look at the Bucksaw and ask “Where would I ride such a thing?” The answer is, of course, “Wherever you want.” From our brief time aboard the Bucksaw it is clear that this bike is best suited to heinously rough terrain and for exploring trails less traveled.

Fat bikes are already quite capable machines for backcountry expeditions. The addition of front and rear suspension dramatically increases the scope of terrain that the Bucksaw is capable of conquering.

While we applaud RockShox for stepping up to meet pent-up demand for a fat fork, a more trail-oriented model with 35mm stanchions would be a better match for the Bucksaw’s abilities.
    Here's another one worth reading:
    http://twentynineinches.com/2014/04/...salsa-bucksaw/
    Last edited by Mr. Multiglisse; 04-18-2014 at 03:31 PM.
    "... Enjoy yourselves, keep your brain in your head and your head firmly attached to your body, the body active and alive, and I promise you this much: I promise you this one sweet victory over our enemies, over those deskbound people with their hearts in a safe deposit box and their eyes hypnotized by desk calculators. I promise you this: you will outlive the bastards." – Edward Abbey

Support Hinterlandian backcountry skiing: wwhsta.org

See that's what I'm talkin' about. Go nearly anywhere in just about any conditions. Endless traction with an insanely large outer diameter and the obviously wide footprint combined with all day smoothness sounds like what I've wanted forever but didn't know it.

Dirt is fun on the fatty! I have bikes for sale

Ooh boy did it feel good to ride in shorts today. Lotsa ridin' to be done this year methinks

On a genuine ol' fashioned authentic steam powered aereoplane

First real ride of the season yesterday. Mind say yes yes. Legs say oh no.
    It's not tragic to die doing what you love.
    http://www.flickr.com/pearljam09/
    http://pearljam09.blogspot.com/

Boston area folks: Dave Weagle is gonna be at JRA on Friday night (730PM) answering questions and sharing his thoughts on some bike stuff.