Thread: Ford HighBoy

Ford HighBoy

So every mag likes a sweet old truck, and man the force is strong with the 70's Ford Highboys for me.

I have a work truck, an FJ, and a sweet old school e30 BMW, looking to round out the stable with an old school maggot level pickup. Anything I should know about? Seems good examples go in the 5-7k range.

Like this one here for example....
    http://www.ebay.com/itm/Ford-F-250-h...US_Cars_Trucks
    Live Free or Die

You been hangin' around the knife guys too much....;-)
    Forum Cross Pollinator, gratuitously strident

Quote Originally Posted by AdironRider View Post
    Anything I should know about?
    ksl.com often has good pre-79 fords.

guess I can speak to that one- I owned one like the one pictured for 23 years. Personal transportation, tree service truck, even used it on some wildland fires. Ended up my time with a flatbed, boxes, contractors rack and 1 ton suspension. Still in use in Reno with a stucco contractor. I think I paid 4k new at the height of the first big gas crunch, traded for 2500 in work.
    I would angle towards a mid 70's with a manual and a 390 if you can find one. The 351/400 family with an auto were a bit weak. Make that more than a bit. Some guys replaced the 351 with a 460- both are big blocks. Both bad on gas.
    I must have replaced about everything at least once, but I knew a rancher that put 400k on his and was still pulling livestock trailers last time I saw him. Rust and u joints are significant on all years. Mine hauled 2 tons of drain rock several times.

Replaced with a Toyota T-100, not working that hard anymore. Happy camper with that.
    "if you plant ice, you're gonna harvest wind..."

If you want to have power steering and disc brakes, I would look for 77 1/2-79(Not a factory High Boy). Look for camper specials. They come with reverse cut Dana 60's. My '79 camper special was a low-boy, till I installed a six inch lift.
    Last edited by tuco; 03-01-2014 at 07:33 PM.

I think the 75' and before don't have to be smogged if that's a concern