Coaching a ski team would be great if it weren't for the parents

I'm hoping there are some other's on here who have coached at the high school level before who can help out. My season is over but I'm getting emails from parents about why their kid didn't letter, why their kid should be captain next season, etc. Holy helicopter moms! I'm trying to put this to rest for the season but I get as many emails about the ski team as I do about may actual job-maybe that says something about my business as well. Any advice on dealing with parents would be greatly appreciated.

This was my first full season as head coach and for next year I've pulled together a more comprehensive "welcome" packet that spells out most of the things I'm currently having issues with. I use an email program to regularly communicate with athletes and parents though clearly reading is a big deal-I get emails asking a questions that is literally answered in the subject line of the email the responded to. I also have a team Facebook page that I copy all emails to as well. I still have people not get the message so any communication help is also very welcome.
    Five minutes into the drive and you're already driving me crazy...

Ive never coached skiing, but I did run an age group swimming program for 5 years.

Helicopter parents are the worst, you are never going to feel like you've won them over.

My best advice is set clear expectations for what it will take to make varsity, or compete on the race team, or what have you, stick to it, and don't give an inch.

I also ban parents from practices. That seems to help.

Most often, the kids get who is better, who isn't, and don't really give a shit. I wouldn't worry about the parents to much, otherwise it'll drive you crazy. Make sure the kids are having fun and putting in effort, and all but the crazy ones will get it.
    Live Free or Die

^^^

then draft an Auto-Reply:

Thanks for your interest in the racing program. We had a good season and are really looking forward to next. Hope to see you there!

volly or paid? big difference in my answer.
    b

Volunteer, in fact I'm the only volunteer head coach in the entire state hs league.

Sent from my SCH-I545 using TGR Forums
    Five minutes into the drive and you're already driving me crazy...

your off the hook, i.e., season over and your phone is off the hook, no more calls, e-crisis, nada. till you get moneys from these illcontents your gig is up.
    resume next season with caution.
    b

I coached soccer not skiing, but I think the principles are the same. You can ignore most of it. If you feel like you need to do something, re-send the group email yousent, with new text that says "We've had a lot of questions about a number of things, the email message below should answer your questions." Also, I make sure that in emails to parents I pointed out that "If you don't know why something is a certain way, please ask your child, I can assure you that I've shared my expectations and procedures with them." Parents like this freak about these thigns once, then quickly forget all about it when they get wrapped up in the next parenting "crisis."

Pro tip, if you have a kid named Huck on your team, give him a nickname.