Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Reel Advice for a Big Gun -12 weight

My trips to the salt are getting frequent enought that I am getting ready to pull the trigger on a big stick. Thinking 12 weight Sage Mirage - with my Sage hookup and how much I like casting this part is a no brainer.
    My conundrum is a reel. I don't want to spend a fortune for a one or twice a year outfit. Right now I am leaning toward the Orvis Hydros....
    Any other thoughts and advice would be early appreciated.
    Samuel L. Jackson as Jules Winnfield: Oh, I'm sorry. Did I break your concentration?

I've always had success w/nautilus in the salt. I dig the closed drag system. Probably beyond your price point, but you can sometimes find their CCF model, which I really like on discount or speypages.

Some of the new higher end sage reels look nice, though I haven't tried them. If you get a sage discount, you could probably snag a pretty highend model for what you'd pay for an orvis. I have rocked the Redington Delta when fishing for kings in the salt and it has held up well, with proper care immediately after fishing. You could score that on the discount wicked cheap.

theclymb.com also has a cheeky dozer (12-16wt) that may be worth checking out. despite their stupid name, they actually make pretty nice reels designed to hold up in the salt. i spoke with them when they were first developing their product, they seem to have a good thing going on.

Quote Originally Posted by Joebornstein View Post
    I've always had success w/nautilus in the salt. I dig the closed drag system. Probably beyond your price point, but you can sometimes find their CCF model, which I really like on discount or speypages.

Some of the new higher end sage reels look nice, though I haven't tried them. If you get a sage discount, you could probably snag a pretty highend model for what you'd pay for an orvis. I have rocked the Redington Delta when fishing for kings in the salt and it has held up well, with proper care immediately after fishing. You could score that on the discount wicked cheap.

theclymb.com also has a cheeky dozer (12-16wt) that may be worth checking out. despite their stupid name, they actually make pretty nice reels designed to hold up in the salt. i spoke with them when they were first developing their product, they seem to have a good thing going on.
    Thanks for the thoughts. Oddly enough, I can get a hook up on Sage rods but not the reels, or that is most likely the way id go.
    I thought about The Redington Delta, but I haven't heard enough feedback to form an opinion one way of the other. I am not worried about cleaning as I am pretty anal with my gear. Just wasn't sure about the ability of the drag to hold up under the bull rush of a 150 pound poon.
    I looked at the cheeky on the Clymb that is a Huuuuge reel.
    Samuel L. Jackson as Jules Winnfield: Oh, I'm sorry. Did I break your concentration?

I have an Abel model 4, it's so bad ass, I caught a small (80#) tuna on it and went 200 yards into the backing and it was smooth…try find a used one!
    !

Funny. When I read the title of your thread, my first thought was Orvis Hydros. I've played with them quite a bit, and they are pretty sick. Price is right, and you get three color choices. Also, Orvis service and warranty. See the review... http://www.yellowstoneangler.com/gea...ge-lamsonreels

I am not an expert in salt(or any other fly fishing), but I do see the Cheeky's getting quite a bit of use in photos and videos.

Lastly, have you cast a 12wt? Where I live, a boat would be needed to get into most fishing that'd merit a 12wt. I have a blast casting an 8wt, and even a 10wt is fun. When I pick up my Helios 12wt, my whole body cringes. It's a bitch to get moving, and it just lacks a...fun factor. Maybe some people with actual 12wt experience will tell me I am wrong, but I have a feeling there are very few people on here that use one regularly. Mine collects dust. I keep it around for trips to Nica and Panama, but I really don't target sailfish or roosters.

Crampedon: Since when is 80# of anything (small) on a fly rod??? Nice catch
    "Yo!! Brentley! Ya wanna get faded before work?"

Quote Originally Posted by BS720 View Post
    Funny. When I read the title of your thread, my first thought was Orvis Hydros. I've played with them quite a bit, and they are pretty sick. Price is right, and you get three color choices. Also, Orvis service and warranty. See the review... http://www.yellowstoneangler.com/gea...ge-lamsonreels

I am not an expert in salt(or any other fly fishing), but I do see the Cheeky's getting quite a bit of use in photos and videos.

Lastly, have you cast a 12wt? Where I live, a boat would be needed to get into most fishing that'd merit a 12wt. I have a blast casting an 8wt, and even a 10wt is fun. When I pick up my Helios 12wt, my whole body cringes. It's a bitch to get moving, and it just lacks a...fun factor. Maybe some people with actual 12wt experience will tell me I am wrong, but I have a feeling there are very few people on here that use one regularly. Mine collects dust. I keep it around for trips to Nica and Panama, but I really don't target sailfish or roosters.

Crampedon: Since when is 80# of anything (small) on a fly rod??? Nice catch
    Thanks for the link to the shoot out. That is some really good information. Yea, slinging a 12 weight is work and yes I have thrown one. I feel bad taking advantage of my buddies 12 weight on my annual trip out to chase the poon. Plus it would be very helpful to have my own stick so I can get some practice time in before getting thrown on the front of the boat.

And I am with you an 80 pound anything isn't small.

The Delta has a similar drag to the Hydros but is a SHITTON heavier.

Quote Originally Posted by snapt View Post
    The Delta has a similar drag to the Hydros but is a SHITTON heavier.
    For a SHITTON I am willing to spend an extra 100$. Also since you chimed in, what's your thoughts on the Rio Tarpon line?

The regular Tarpon line is as good as it gets for poons. 12 on a 12 is excellent.

Look at the kraken from Allen Fly Fishing. I've been very impressed with their reels, and they are reasonable as far as price is concerned
    "The riding never stops" Craig Kelly

Telee,

I believe this to also be a good source of info on reels:

http://www.tridentflyfishing.com/blo...ly-reel-review

Their shootout is put together better in my opinion, and for a 12wt, drag strength, weight, and ability to take abuse are pretty much all that matter.

My votes would be Hydros or the Allen reels for the money. Allen has new bigger Kraken now.
    "We had nice 3 days in your autonomous mountain realm last weekend." - Tom from Austria (the Rax ski guy)

Quote Originally Posted by gretch6364 View Post
    Telee,

I believe this to also be a good source of info on reels:

http://www.tridentflyfishing.com/blo...ly-reel-review

Their shootout is put together better in my opinion, and for a 12wt, drag strength, weight, and ability to take abuse are pretty much all that matter.

My votes would be Hydros or the Allen reels for the money. Allen has new bigger Kraken now.
    Awesome! I was considering the new larger Kraken as a frontrunner because I have had great success on my smaller reels with Allen. However the new Kraken doesn't accommodate my left handed cast - right handed retrieve retarded ass so it's looking a lot like the Hydros is the winner. Thanks for the link there is some fantastic information in there.

...Sorry T, no exp. with anything in that range...should be fun..

2nd on Allen kracken

Casting a 12 is work, no doubt. If you can double haul and control a shooting head on a stiff 10 the 12 can be fun, for a while… It's not like you haul it around on the flats all day like an 8. I had some clear 12 weight tarpon line a while back with a super short head on it, I could cast it like 90', for a while…. But if you hook some critter that needs the lifting power of the 12 you are glad you have those 2 handles! I will try to find some old pics of something big I caught on it, have to scan them, it's been a while.

This is old and small and on a 10, but I caught a mess of them on a popper!
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	bob papio006.jpg 
Views:	86 
Size:	195.6 KB 
ID:	151837  

^^I'd imagine that after casting that motherfucker, you might be glad you didn't catch a teensy weensy 80# tuna that you had to fight for 30 minutes. I'm super passionate about saltwater on the fly, and you are awesome!
    "Yo!! Brentley! Ya wanna get faded before work?"

Quote Originally Posted by teleee View Post
    Awesome! I was considering the new larger Kraken as a frontrunner because I have had great success on my smaller reels with Allen. However the new Kraken doesn't accommodate my left handed cast - right handed retrieve retarded ass so it's looking a lot like the Hydros is the winner. Thanks for the link there is some fantastic information in there.

Just throwing this out but I have a brand new Ross CLA-7 in the box, willing to let go at my cost.
    I have been in this State for 30 years and I am willing to admit that I am part of the problem.

"Happiest years of my life were earning < $8.00 and hour, collecting unemployment every spring and fall, no car, no debt and no responsibilities. 1984-1990 Park City UT"

Quote Originally Posted by Bunion View Post
    Just throwing this out but I have a brand new Ross CLA-7 in the box, willing to let go at my cost.
    PM sent always interested in a bargain.

A LSD Steakhouse somewhere in the Wasatch
    ifin i can't use your big stick after your arms gets tired from jumpin all them 150 lbers
    i'll go 1/2 sees on a rig i'll use maybe once a year
    after my old Bauer m6 gets smoked will they let me pole?
    "When the child was a child it waited patiently for the first snow and it still does"- Van "The Man" Morrison
    "I find I have already had my reward, in the doing of the thing" - Buzz Holmstrom
    "THIS IS WHAT WE DO"-AML -ski on in eternal peace
    "I have posted in here but haven't read it carefully with my trusty PoliAsshat antenna on."-DipshitDanno

Quote Originally Posted by skifishbum View Post
    ifin i can't use your big stick after your arms gets tired from jumpin all them 150 lbers
    i'll go 1/2 sees on a rig i'll use maybe once a year
    after my old Bauer m6 gets smoked will they let me pole?
    Of course you can use my stick! I'm as strong as a 12 year old girl so I won't take long before I wear out. Don't worry about throwing in I think our 3rd (who you haven't met) is going to throw down for the other half. Since him and I have some plans to chase some other species...

A LSD Steakhouse somewhere in the Wasatch
    i'm just goin for the 50 lbers
    they eat better
    do you think my unintentional dude ejections gonna disqualify me from any chance boat control or navigation opportunities?
    i'm bringin the 2 hander
    not sure how i'll be presenting offerings with that rig quite yet though
    snap t to kite cast
    "When the child was a child it waited patiently for the first snow and it still does"- Van "The Man" Morrison
    "I find I have already had my reward, in the doing of the thing" - Buzz Holmstrom
    "THIS IS WHAT WE DO"-AML -ski on in eternal peace
    "I have posted in here but haven't read it carefully with my trusty PoliAsshat antenna on."-DipshitDanno

Quote Originally Posted by skifishbum View Post
    i'm just goin for the 50 lbers
    they eat better
    do you think my unintentional dude ejections gonna disqualify me from any chance boat control or navigation opportunities?
    i'm bringin the 2 hander
    not sure how i'll be presenting offerings with that rig quite yet though
    snap t to kite cast
    Ha! I will bring my seat bel if you are driving! From what I saw last year there aren't any 50 pounders.

Man....been a long break from TGR for me so I had to stop into the Fishing Forum. Anyway, I've got a Nautilus NV 10/11 with a spare spool that I've been sitting on without use for far too long. If it's something you might be interested in let me know. I'll make sure to check back more regularly.

Quote Originally Posted by Happy Fun Ball View Post
    Man....been a long break from TGR for me so I had to stop into the Fishing Forum. Anyway, I've got a Nautilus NV 10/11 with a spare spool that I've been sitting on without use for far too long. If it's something you might be interested in let me know. I'll make sure to check back more regularly.
    Hey Happy shoot me a Pm and let me know the details, like how much and stuff...

Trigger- pulled! Holy crap this is BIG outfit compared to my 5 weight

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	ImageUploadedByTGR Forums1395768346.492846.jpg 
Views:	102 
Size:	207.3 KB 
ID:	153263