Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2
    I just want someone to be able to fix shit around here. I am not competent in that department. Chuck's been fixing our shit for 15 years at least.

long as the cash is flowing you'll get er done.
    b

Hook your repair man up with a kid* who is about to spend $100k for a degree to be underemployed doing something he'll hate. Kid learns on the job. Old guy teaches, passes the customers on and gets to chill so the biz survives. Iceman gets middle of the night emergency service on his electric loafer polisher for free. Win. Win. Win.
    A few people feel the rain. Most people just get wet.

The problem is the kids have been brainwashed to believe they need to go to university.

Had this conversation with my nephew. He's 18, so no point in trying to convince him of anything. Just pointed out that since he likes working on motorcycles so much and isn't really sure what he wants to do with a degree (he's planning on getting a degree in business admin because "there's lots of things I can do with that") that maybe a voc-tech career might make more sense.

Ah well, can't do anything but let him figure it out I guess. And point out to him that when I was his age I thought a degree in comp sci. was where I was headed because it's what my parents wanted. Never got there though, and was never happy 'til my late 30s when I found the electrical apprenticeship...
    ...Some will fall in love with life and drink it from a fountain that is pouring like an avalanche coming down the mountain...

"I enjoy skinny skiing, bullfights on acid..." - Lacy Underalls

The problems we face will not be solved by the minds that created them.

spook Guest
    shit's hitting the fan in your kid's lifetime if not yours so i wouldn't worry too much about it.

Please, tell me more Spook.

I am surprised no TGR types have jumped on this. Seems like a good opportunity for one of you to move from Amber Alerts to Angie's List!
    "Buy the Fucking Plane Tickets!"
    -- Jack Tackle

spook Guest
    Quote Originally Posted by stompinlines View Post
    Please, tell me more Spook.
    you are obsessed with me.

post a note at the local voc-tech college? Hopefully someone there has a bit of an enterprising head, and will jump at the chance.

My appliance guy charges $75 to tell u to throw out Chinese junk appliances and buy another Chinese piece of shit... Pretty easy gig but I'm not sure how long he'll be in business.

Sent from my XT1080 using TGR Forums