Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast

184 Moment Exit World Ski Review

Unfortunately, my review of this ski on my personal TOR site is mostly getting traffic from pederasts and heroin addicts. So I am putting it up here so that it can also be viewed by crack addicts and Canucks.

Height/Weight: 6', 175
    Skiing Style: I am an extreme ski mountaineer. I do not ski at ski resorts, unless they are closed, then I dawn patrol them. I do not require any avalanche gear as I own a Sherpa named Sylvester that I won in a poker game in a prison in Tingri whence I was detained under false pretense of smuggling revolutionary literature into Urumqi by some Chinaman.
    Skis that I have found pleasant: Praxis Freeride, Lhasa Pow, DPS 138
    Skis that I have found unpleasant: DPS 112, G3 "enter ski name here"
    Mounted: With Dynafits of unknown vintage on the line. Bear in mind that one of the plastic volcanoes is broken, and so is of much lighter weight than the other. I do not care since I never use risers for touring. Only pussies like Joe Strummer need them.

My search for a new, lighter weight but not noodely, pow-specific touring ski essentially began the moment that I actually got my first generation DPS 112s. I was initially very disappointed with the skis. After detuning them, they served their purpose for several seasons, but were never more than adequate. I find them annoying on any sort of wet, heavy PNW snow that has a track in them. The sidecut is also not to my taste, resulting in a need for constant energizer bunny hopping to and fro. They are great in powder, but have a huge versatility problem. This is not to piss on the DPS parade, which I do not know why people would even find a problem, since urine is sterile, and many people like the taste, as skiing the 138s in 12 inches of snow is life changing. Unfortunately the 138s have even more versatility problems, and the 112s are just not my bag, man.

Skis that I was looking at as a replacement this season were the Faction Candide 3.0, which had no camber and skiied threateningly like the pinball manner of Candide that far too much mimicked the 112s; and the Prior Husume XTC Carbons, which I still know almost nothing about due to a dearth of internet reviews. The carbon GPO was about to be ordered, but I had big concerns about weight. (This was before Keith came out with the new lightweight core options). The Exit Worlds came really out of nowhere. I saw a pair in Teton Mountaineering and thought the weight on them had to be incorrect. The nice gentlemen there had a scale, and the skis actually came in under weight at 8.5 for the 184s. (I bring this up since one of the only reviews of this ski is the Blister pre-production review where the ski came in significantly overweight.) As a result, I made a snap irrevocable decision to purchase the Exit Worlds.

This turned out to be a very good decision. I made some trade-off decisions in choosing the 184 over the 190, but have been as excited with the performance of the 184 EW as any new ski in a long time.

Pros: I think the mid-20s on sidecut is an ideal number for versatility. With their camber, the EW can hold an edge and lay over much more like a traditional ski to make big GS turns. They do not bounce everywhere in heavier PNW/Sierra chop, but truck through. On another thread someone said the difference between the GPO and the Bibby is that the GPO is a charger, that can be playful, and that the Bibby is a playful ski, that can charge. Whoever the hell that was, he is a genius, and right on point. I went with the 184s mostly for weight, and at this length they are ridiculously quick when necessary. You should not want to take 115 waist dynafit mounted skis through firm bumps, but they handle it with no problems whatsoever and actually make them pretty fun. Fun is the operative word for these skis. They are obviously ridiculously good in powder, but they also have great balance in the air, can mach turns in the bowl up high, very quick through the trees in the forest below, and still capable of handling the Euro death snow at the bottom of a 6000 foot run. They are so surprisingly and sort of preposterously versatile that they have almost taken over the Freeride position in my quiver, since they are somehow lighter than that setup, which really makes no sense.

The 184/190 break point to me is really a question more of how you are going to be using the ski. For me, the lighter weight and quickness of the 184 outweighs any float benefits (which I'd guess are nil), or ability to lay down massive AK turns at mach looney, like with the Lhasa Pows that have no speed limit, that might be gained with the 190.

Cons: Ugliest topsheet ever. Seriously Moment, what the fuck were you thinking? Moment has had some gorgeous topsheets in years past like the Bibbys, but this year it's a fucking abortion on pretty much all their skis. In fact, it might be some sort of alien-themed abortion that is on these EW topsheets. Wish they were Grizzlycorns.

Glad to hear the weight came in 1lb lighter than blister gears pair. Hope to try these out at a spring demo this year. Graphics look terrible but that textured top sheet sounds great if it works.

late to the game, but this is an outstanding review; thanks for your contribution.

See third post. Great review. Seems like i made the right move mounting my carbon gpo with dynafits
    wait!!!! waitwaitwaitwaitwaitwaitwaitwait...Wait!
    Zoolander wasn't a documentary?

Brilliant review. Funny as hell too. I wanna trade my 187 carbon MVPs for these. I have the Bibbys too and damn I love that Moment ride.

How much do those Carbon MVPs weigh?

Quote Originally Posted by SupreChicken View Post
    How much do those Carbon MVPs weigh?
    I have not weighed them, but if you put the layup and length into Praxis's new website (which has a cool "calculator" that spits out the weight for each ski, depending on length and layup), it says 8.5 lbs (EDITED). I need to put more time on them, but I just haven't found my groove on them yet.
    Last edited by meter-man; 10-27-2014 at 11:39 PM.

A ski as fun and as versatile as the Bibbiy in just over 8 lbs for backcountry durty? Daddy like.

Thanks for the review. The Exit World is now in heavy contention as the next pair of AT skis.

Great review...

I skied many of the early versions of the Bibby, and the Exit World took my favorite version and made it lighter. Funny thing is that I really didn't notice much of any difference in their performance. The 190cm Exit World could rail edge to edge SuperG turns on firm groomers to effortlessly floating on pow or cruising through corn. These really are big mountain skis and can be skied as hard as you want. The rear skin attachment modification is huge in my opinion. I used to tour with the OG Bibbys and that damn skin tail always fell off. I like the graphics, heh.

Here's a vid from last Spring on the Exit Worlds...

Beautiful review. I'm 6' 175" with similar ski desires and you sold me on the 184!

I am cleaning up this review since the new '15-'16 Exit World is completely different. This review is only applicable to the 13-14 Exit World. The 14-15 Exit World is similar, only the tops and bases no longer looked like an abortion. Instead they had boobies. And monkeys. So they may be the greatest skis ever made by man.

The new ones have that bullshit double camber, so I'm sure they suck as much as the Underworld. A shame.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	exit world.jpg 
Views:	900 
Size:	217.3 KB 
ID:	170616  

Quote Originally Posted by telelebowski View Post
    I am cleaning up this review since the new '15-'16 Exit World is completely different. This review is only applicable to the 13-14 Exit World. The 14-15 Exit World is similar, only the tops and bases no longer looked like an abortion. Instead they had boobies. And monkeys. So they may be the greatest skis ever made by man.

The new ones have that bullshit double camber, so I'm sure they suck as much as the Underworld. A shame.
    The camber type on the new Exit World is totally different that the Underworld.

The Exit World is now flat underfoot with rocker at the tip and tail. Skis with this camber type tend to really put you in the back seat if you air and land in the back seat. We added micro-cambers fore and aft of the flat spot which stiffen the rocker and act almost like a wheelie bar helping you get back into the right position. The Exit World is now a skinnier and lighter Ghost Train.

The micro-cambers fore and aft of the bindings on the Underworld are within the overall camber camber. This tech came from our best selling mens ski, the Deathwish and our best selling womens ski, The Sierra. The Underwold is also our most popular touring ski. Sorry you didn't dig it. I think the stiffened up core and tip on this years made a nice improvement. Hope you can test a new pair. Would love your feedback.

Quote Originally Posted by Melee View Post
    The camber type on the new Exit World is totally different that the Underworld.

The Exit World is now flat underfoot with rocker at the tip and tail. Skis with this camber type tend to really put you in the back seat if you air and land in the back seat. We added micro-cambers fore and aft of the flat spot which stiffen the rocker and act almost like a wheelie bar helping you get back into the right position. The Exit World is now a skinnier and lighter Ghost Train.

The micro-cambers fore and aft of the bindings on the Underworld are within the overall camber camber. This tech came from our best selling mens ski, the Deathwish and our best selling womens ski, The Sierra. The Underwold is also our most popular touring ski. Sorry you didn't dig it. I think the stiffened up core and tip on this years made a nice improvement. Hope you can test a new pair. Would love your feedback.
    Melee, where (or when) can one demo Moment skis in the Tahoe area?
    sproing!

Quote Originally Posted by meter-man View Post
    Melee, where (or when) can one demo Moment skis in the Tahoe area?
    We will have a demo tour but dont have set dates yet. When we do they will be posted here: http://www.momentskis.com/pages/demo-tour

They are typically on the weekends and we travel to different resorts. Demos are free.

Also, if you want to ski during the week and can come down to the factory in Reno you are welcome to take out a couple pairs. Again, its always free.

Dont forget to bring a boot so we can adjust your bindings.

Additionally, we have a lot of skis on Dynafit Demo and with Tele bindings on them if thats your thing.

That's a way better explanation for wonky rocker than I've read before. I could never really figure out why you would design a ski like that. It didn't work in my head, but I've wanted to ski one to see what was going on.

Would it be fair to say micro camber is for flex profile not edge grip? Sort of like building a progressive flex into the layup, but without the weight penalty of extra material?

Quote Originally Posted by TexasGortex View Post
    That's a way better explanation for wonky rocker than I've read before. I could never really figure out why you would design a ski like that. It didn't work in my head, but I've wanted to ski one to see what was going on.

Would it be fair to say micro camber is for flex profile not edge grip? Sort of like building a progressive flex into the layup, but without the weight penalty of extra material?
    Yes and no. Triple Camber does a couple of things.

Lets leave the Ghost Train and the new Exit World rocker profile out of this discussion to start with to better understand the baseline of how Triple Camber works in its original form (The Deathwish).

Take a look at this overall concept of the design on our Triple Camber page here: http://www.momentskis.com/pages/triple-camber-tech

Triple Camber aids in both added pop/life to the ski and edge grip. This evolution came from having skis in our line up with camber underfoot and rocker at the tip and tail.

With any ski that has this camber type you lose a lot of life and pop in your ski. There are also a large number of skiers out there that dislike tail rocker because you lose so much ski. That being said, a rockered tail can be great in certain situations when you really want to pivot your ski in a tight place or smear a turn easier.

We wanted to develop a way to keep the fun and playfulness of a tail rockered ski but give it some life back.

We did this by added a micro-camber fore and aft of the bindings within the overall camber of the ski. This gives the feel of a stiffer tail, a two stage pop, while still maintaining a loose feel to the ski when needed.

Additionally, when you roll a camber underfoot with rocker at the tip and tail ski on edge you're skiing a very small effective edge. You're out there on a juniors ski or even a snow blade some times. You dont have a lot of edge working for you. The micro-cambers we added fore and aft of the bindings are really short and stiff and dont really flex out or press out, this makes your effective edge more like a serrated knife, only when the ski is on edge, making your small effective edge more effective.

This was so popular when we debuted it on the Deathwish that it became our most popular ski. We added the tech to The Sierra the following year (Triple Camber Twin Rocker). In addition we made Triple Camber with a flat tail and front rocker because of how awesome it feels in a turn. The Tahoe, Belafonte, and Hot Mess have this version (Triple Camber Front Rocker). We added it to one of our park skis, The Frankenski, to have added pop and help edge effectiveness when edges dull and round out after rail abuse.

Lastly, the Ghost Train and new Exit World have a variation of Triple Camber called Triple Camber Flat Rocker. Its a confusing name because there is no overall camber. Its a flat ski with rocker at the tip and tail with micro-cambers fore and aft of the flat spot. So its actually double camber. Like I said in my previous post skis like this tend to wash out when your get in the back seat. We applied what we learned from previous designs to aid in the stiffness and pop of the ski. In this design it does help the turn but it really doesnt engage that much so its not as noticeable as the other designs.

Hopefully this helps you understand Triple Camber a bit more. Let me know if you have any other questions.

Please don't say that. My Underworlds arrived in the mail yesterday and I want them to not suck for volcano skiing and general PNWet touring.
    EDIT: Why didn't you like Underworlds?

As to the Exit World - everything you wrote about last year's skis is spot on. With a full week's worth of hut touring on them in the Tetons - I love them, desperately. I also dig the top sheets.

I think I got it now, thanks. I'll definitely get on a pair if I get a chance.

Bobcat,
    I skied the Underworlds a half-day, groomers, and boot high on hardpack off. Speedfreak in the other thread actually finally probably pointed out what I struggled to even understand at the time that it was going on. If you try to ski driving the front of the boot, the front cleat or whatever it is actually washes out, and you over power the ski and it skitters until you move your weight back and then the back camber or cleat or whatever hooks wherever it is which 98 out of 100 is not where you want to be and now you have to try and unload that edge so that you can turn and do it all over again. It was worse off the groomers. If you skiied them a bunch would you probably figure out where your balance point should be? I don't know. To me the unpredictability of the ski turned me off big time, each run I was thinking to myself if I had a file I would just de-tune the fuck out of the entire edges, everywhere. But then when you look at them it's a magical mystery show where you would even de-tune the things. Then it could just be me. I know a dude who swears by his Concepts, I just am at a total loss how double, triple, WHY NOT QUAD CAMBER??!!, provides anything of value. I think they will be fine for volcano tours and spring stuff with their light weight and where it's predictable spring snow. I wanted very much to like them, because I ditched my Freerides for the Exit Worlds because they were so uber-versatile. But that left a 101 type gap for a full ski-mountaineering ski that could be versatile for Euro variability, long tours, and high-consequence lines where I certainly don't want to be fucking about trying to figure what will wash out and what will hold. There is very little out there, so I ended up grabbing some 104 Coombacks on close-out. Not ideal, but at least I know what they will do. Like I said somewhere, all I want was an Underworld with normal camber. And sharks, with fricken' lasers on their heads. Let me know how you find them, hopefully they are less squirrely then what I experienced. With them messing with the Exit Worlds I am already in the process of obtaining a pair of last years with boobies and monkies in 190. So at some point I will probably add the comparisons between the two.

Melee,
    I like Moment skis. I have a pair of PB&Js as my tele setup that are outstanding. As is obvious, I am about to start hoarding pairs of Exit Worlds. That said, I can assure you that I personally as a skiier have not been lobbying the ski industry to remove all camber in skis and put in micro-cambers fore and aft of the flat spot to stiffen the rocker and act like a wheelie bar helping me to get back into the right position after I flail while hucking something. In fact, I think that is borderline insane. I think I've got an even better idea. Why don't you keep making awesome skis like you did before and let skiiers learn to jump off shit with them.

All the Dude wanted was his lightweight touring Bibbys back.

Melee,
    I like Moment skis.

I mean...I've heard worse ideas

Maybe its the Underworld but on the Deathwish the triple camber works just like Luke describes it. I never demoed a pair of skis that the first turn had me convinced I had to have a pair. It usually takes a few runs to figure out the the sweet part of a ski, exactly when and how to drive them but that was not my experience. My spouse skis the Sierra's, a much different skier than I am and she found the same thing, immediately wanted a pair.

You have to appreciate the response from Melee (Luke Jacobsen) providing technical details and how Moment goes about designing their skis. Love or hate Moment but I don't think you find any other manufacturer monitoring this board and offering responses like they do.

Melee,
    I like Moment skis. I have a pair of PB&Js as my tele setup that are outstanding. As is obvious, I am about to start hoarding pairs of Exit Worlds. That said, I can assure you that I personally as a skiier have not been lobbying the ski industry to remove all camber in skis and put in micro-cambers fore and aft of the flat spot to stiffen the rocker and act like a wheelie bar helping me to get back into the right position after I flail while hucking something. In fact, I think that is borderline insane. I think I've got an even better idea. Why don't you keep making awesome skis like you did before and let skiiers learn to jump off shit with them.

The camber you are talking about is really unique to two skis and acts completely different than the Underworld which you're not stoked on.

It started on the Ghost Train which is KC Deane's pro model. He wanted the playfulness of a flat underfoot twin rockered ski but wanted some more stability in the tail when he was sending huge drops in Japan and Alaska.

Although you were not lobbying for it, he was. I dont know if you have seen Blank. yet but they work pretty well for him:

We cant win them all unfortunately. As soon as we change a ski design there is Group A which gets upset because they never want to see the ski change and Group B that gets stoked. I am sorry you ended up in Group A this time.

We are skiers as well and as long as we have our own factory we are going to continue to try make new skis and new designs that make skiing more fun. Why make a twin tip ski? Why make reverse sidecut? What make rocker? All these concepts were laughed at in the beginning but it has progressed the sport of skiing faster in the last 10-15 years then in the previous 100. I am not saying that Triple Camber has the same significance as these other items but I do know that it works and people are stoked on it. Our design ideas come from consumers, athletes, friends and factory employees...they also come from people on TGR who may dislike what we are doing. This conversation will be a factor in future ski design. We are not here to make a "me too" product, like "hey! I make this type of ski too!" but we are also not making skis that are different just to be different. We make skis we love to ride day in and day out, its why we are in the business.

I have a couple pairs of the Exit Worlds you like left at the factory here: http://www.skiburger.com/collections...-15-exit-world

Also, if you want a new pair of Exit World 190s with any graphic from our current line up let me know because the Bibby 190 mold is going in November 1st and I can throw you in a pair.

Let me know here: luke@momentskis.com

Quote Originally Posted by Melee View Post
    Also, if you want a new pair of Exit World 190s with any graphic from our current line up let me know because the Bibby 190 mold is going in November 1st and I can throw you in a pair.
    Related question - are the 14/15 Belafontes single camber or triple camber? I can't keep track of all the year to year changes.

Quote Originally Posted by adrenalated View Post
    Related question - are the 14/15 Belafontes single camber or triple camber? I can't keep track of all the year to year changes.
    They have been Triple Camber for a couple years now. So yes, the 14/15 are triple.