Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

What happens when a Dynafit binding isn't quite adjusted to the 5mm spacing?

Got a pair of skis with Dynafits that are at the maximum limit forward. One binding has that nice click with the Radical 5mm spacing tool, the other has about 1-3mm of play. What happens when the heel spacing is closer to 7mm instead of the spec'd 5mm? How does that change the release characteristics? FWIW, these are pretty damn stiff skis (Down Countdown 4).

I could probably shave the metal baseplate so that it could adjust slightly further forward, but I'm curious.

marker. no fuss no muss

rog

there's a wildsnow article on this but i think the gist is that it will take more for your boot to bottom out on the heel, meaning it may take more force for a release. there was a thread on here about it as well. anyway, i set mine > 5mm for that exact reason, since the "din" equivalent or whatever on my plum's only goes to 12 [if i remember right].

Well, Comforts and Verticals used to be spec'd at 6mm, then they changed all the bindings to 5.5mm without changing the length of the pins . . .

Quote Originally Posted by icelanticskier View Post
    marker. no fuss no muss

rog
    Ehh, I could easily have the same problem with Markers and forward pressure/BSL. Bought the skis used with the knowledge that they were mounted for a notably larger BSL.

in that case re-mount. properly.

rog

Quote Originally Posted by Lindahl View Post
    What happens when the heel spacing is closer to 7mm instead of the spec'd 5mm? How does that change the release characteristics? FWIW, these are pretty damn stiff skis (Down Countdown 4).
    Can't imagine it would affect horizontal release characteristics, so don't worry about it there. Where it could get you is on jump turns if you uncamber the ski too far and the heel pins pull out of the boot. It's a fine line: a bigger gap allows for deeper ski flex before the boot hits the heel piece (and pushes the boot out of the toe pins), but a smaller gap allows you to decamber the ski more before "exiting" the heel. If you run soft skis, pick your poison. With stiff skis, there's less chance of either possibility.

For me, it meant torn ACL, PCL, MCL, and torn miniscus.
    Forum Cross Pollinator, gratuitously strident

I would think they would release slightly easier, not harder. Your torque arm is slightly longer and you have slightly less pin engagement = easier release. Try it out, I doubt you'll notice any change (especially on a stiff ski). FWIW, after some practice, I usually eyeball my 5.5mm and have never had a problem.

Quote Originally Posted by 1000-oaks View Post
    Can't imagine it would affect horizontal release characteristics, so don't worry about it there. Where it could get you is on jump turns if you uncamber the ski too far and the heel pins pull out of the boot. It's a fine line: a bigger gap allows for deeper ski flex before the boot hits the heel piece (and pushes the boot out of the toe pins), but a smaller gap allows you to decamber the ski more before "exiting" the heel. If you run soft skis, pick your poison. With stiff skis, there's less chance of either possibility.
    This....jump turns. It will happen, even with a reasonably stiff ski. Happened to me several times with my 190 med/stiff praxis BC + ft12s. The shop had screwed up and I was a dynafit-jong at the time. On the other hand; I think mine were more towards 9-10mm, so this might not happen to you.

The good part is that if you have the toes locked you'll get a taste of what the Linken tele-bindings skied like =

in that case re-mount. properly.

rog
    Umm, most of the dynafits (vert/comforts) allow for total of 25mm of forward/aft movement?
    So, with any luck, OP dont have to remount.

The floggings will continue until morale improves.

You could also call salewa and purchase demo base plates which would mean you do not need to drill new holes. At least that works for comforts.

Quote Originally Posted by Meathelmet View Post
    Umm, most of the dynafits (vert/comforts) allow for total of 25mm of forward/aft movement?
    So, with any luck, OP dont have to remount.
    he said he was right/near the edge i believe. doesn't sound ideal.

rog

he said he was right/near the edge i believe. doesn't sound ideal.

rog
    True dat.

The floggings will continue until morale improves.

A LSD Steakhouse somewhere in the Wasatch
    Quote Originally Posted by rideit View Post
    Damn did you take them to a trained professional who knew what they were doing
    or
    http://www.tetongravity.com/forums/s...hlight=dynafit
    inquiring minds want 2 no
    francis
    "When the child was a child it waited patiently for the first snow and it still does"- Van "The Man" Morrison
    "I find I have already had my reward, in the doing of the thing" - Buzz Holmstrom
    "THIS IS WHAT WE DO"-AML -ski on in eternal peace
    "I have posted in here but haven't read it carefully with my trusty PoliAsshat antenna on."-DipshitDanno

Looks like I'm right at 6mm - used a 6mm hex key and it fits perfectly with no play. Doesn't sound like I need to worry about it. Can't believe how they just barely fit. Got lucky I guess.

Also, wouldn't vertical release be more difficult? The pins get narrower, the further they stick out, therefore they have to move further to slot out of the herlpiece?

Quote Originally Posted by Lindahl View Post
    Also, wouldn't vertical release be more difficult? The pins get narrower, the further they stick out, therefore they have to move further to slot out of the herlpiece?
    Hard to say - narrower, but less rigid as you get further away from the heelpiece. Not even Lou Dawson has a definitive answer on that one. At any rate, I skied Comforts and Verticals for years at 6mm no problem.

Glad to hear you're at 6mm, Lindahl. As Greg says, should be no problem.

Quote Originally Posted by bfree View Post
    I would think they would release slightly easier, not harder. Your torque arm is slightly longer and you have slightly less pin engagement = easier release.
    I would agree, especially re vertical release. I had a ski/binding/boot combo that resulted in a few unwanted vertical releases when turning out of a hole, remedied that by narrowing the gap to 4mm. Yeah, I know, not spec, but it worked.

well, fuck me, right? havent had issues yet.

Shit... I didn't even know it was 5mm from the 6mm it used to be on Comforts.

Does anyone know what this spacing tool looks like? I don't think I saw one in the box when I bought speed radicals.
    Goal: ski in the 2018/19 season

Depends on what year Radicals. Wildsnow has some info on The spacers. Its actually 5.5mm, not 6mm. Probably 4.5mm-6.5mm is 'close enough'.

Quote Originally Posted by Shorty_J View Post

Does anyone know what this spacing tool looks like? I don't think I saw one in the box when I bought speed radicals.
    A small piece of plastic that has no other obvious or un-obvious use.

Or use an allen key
    Quote Originally Posted by Downbound Train View Post
    And there will come a day when our ancestors look back...........

Quote Originally Posted by PNWbrit View Post
    A small piece of plastic that has no other obvious or un-obvious use.

Or use an allen key
    I've generally been using any hex bit that fit's in a standard impact driver drill chuck as that's almost exactly 6mm. But I've always wondered where the correct place to set the spacer is when setting this. But I can't be doing it too wrong because I've never had an innapropriate pre-release.

I was intrigued by the mention of a "click" when using the tool and thought they might have come up with a pretty slick and idiot-proof way of setting this.

I'll keep doing what I'm doing until something goes wrong.
    Goal: ski in the 2018/19 season

Quote Originally Posted by Shorty_J View Post
    Does anyone know what this spacing tool looks like?
    There are two 5.5mm spacers around - they used to ship a white plastic thing with two little bumps on the sides, now they have a wishbone thing that squeezes shut as you narrow the gap.

Quote Originally Posted by rideit View Post
    Was that your issue rideit? I recall your horrifying leg break video & AT gear for sale thread. Unforgettable.

I didn't realize that you were able to figure out you had a spacing issue. Did you have any other performance malfunctions prior to the big one?

How is your recovery coming along? Are you able to ski yet? I hope you are out there enjoying winter & good health.