Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 4 LastLast

Leatherman type multi tool for skis?

So dumb question, but also one that has been on my mind for a while... Is there a leatherman type tool with the oversized screw drivers useful for adjusting bindings that I can throw in my BC pack (and you know have a few other uses, like a knife)?
    Its not that I suck at spelling, its that I just don't care

A LSD Steakhouse somewhere in the Wasatch
    i haz a locking vice grip type gerber that has a grooved interchangable bit adaptor driver thingomobobs that locks in the jaws
    served me well for a good 15 years now
    "When the child was a child it waited patiently for the first snow and it still does"- Van "The Man" Morrison
    "I find I have already had my reward, in the doing of the thing" - Buzz Holmstrom
    "THIS IS WHAT WE DO"-AML -ski on in eternal peace
    "I have posted in here but haven't read it carefully with my trusty PoliAsshat antenna on."-DipshitDanno

Yes. I have one in my pack and it's very useful. They didn't much appreciate it at the SLC airport, however.

Skeletool with the bit kit here. Replaced a Wave that I lost in Tuolumne on a mountain run/climb a few years back. Also, read: https://www.tetongravity.com/forums/s...-BC-Multi-tool
    Quote Originally Posted by Ernest_Hemingway View Post
    I realize there is not much hope for a bullfighting forum. I understand that most of you would prefer to discuss the ingredients of jacket fabrics than the ingredients of a brave man. I know nothing of the former. But the latter is made of courage, and skill, and grace in the presence of the possibility of death. If someone could make a jacket of those three things it would no doubt be the most popular and prized item in all of your closets.

Dakine multitool has served me well...
    wait!!!! waitwaitwaitwaitwaitwaitwaitwait...Wait!
    Zoolander wasn't a documentary?

I have a leatherman and it's useless for hi torque screws, like the ones holding the binding.

I replaced it with a squirt, for the pliers, and a dakine screwdriver with the bits I need for my bindings and boots.

Sent from my SCH-I500 using TGR Forums

Quote Originally Posted by TahoeJ View Post
    Yes. I have one in my pack and it's very useful. They didn't much appreciate it at the SLC airport, however.
    They took mine at the airport a few weeks ago. I'm not checking my camera bag for a leatherman, pricks can keep the fucking thing.
    Brought to you by Carl's Jr.

There is a 686/Leatherman collab snowboard tool. Too rich for my blood but I believe the binding screwdriver bit is the same you are looking for.

Quote Originally Posted by LightRanger View Post
    Skeletool with the bit kit here. Replaced a Wave that I lost in Tuolumne on a mountain run/climb a few years back. Also, read: https://www.tetongravity.com/forums/s...-BC-Multi-tool
    +1. I have this same set-up. I've used it to change bindings mounted in inserts and re-tighten the machine screws into the inserts in the field. Haven't used it to change DIN or binding heel position. Here are the links:
    http://www.amazon.com/Leatherman-830...rman+skeletool
    http://www.amazon.com/Leatherman-931...bxgy_hi_text_y

Quote Originally Posted by rod9301 View Post
    I have a leatherman and it's useless for hi torque screws, like the ones holding the binding.

I replaced it with a squirt, for the pliers, and a dakine screwdriver with the bits I need for my bindings and boots.

Sent from my SCH-I500 using TGR Forums
    Similar for me - Leatherman Juice for pliers, knife and scissors; T-handled ratchet driver for screwing.

At some point the usefulness of a multitool declines with the number of components

you are probably better off with the dakine multi tool I have used it to mount and unmount bindings at home so I know I can generate enough tork, it shoould go thru airport security and its cheap

do make sure its long enough to clear your binding and change one of the bits to PZ3
    Lee Lau - xxx-er is the laziest Asian canuck I know

My problem comes adjusting bindings with the smaller screwdrivers (din, toe height, and heel piece adjustments)... but yeah, have had a few that have saved the day in the BC... That doc allen thing looks like it could be a good addition to the pack for hut trips and longer tours.
    www.dpsskis.com
    www.point6.com
    formerly an ambassador for a few others, but the ski industry is... interesting.
    Fukt: a very small amount of snow.

I have a version of the Dakine multi tool with as many bits as I can cram in the handle, it goes in the backpack and stays until needed. Still carry another heavy duty Leatherman or like multi tool for knife/file/corkscrew/yada yada.
    watch out for snakes

I put everyting in a plastic tupperware that fits exactly inside the dead space between a set of crampons and hold it all togethr with a ski strap
    Lee Lau - xxx-er is the laziest Asian canuck I know

Quote Originally Posted by telemike View Post
    $10, compact, and long shaft -- perfect. Thx.

If you're into the whole stealth weed thing, we always thought this thing was cool in high school:

http://bakoda.com/en/customers_products/mciver-driver
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Bakoda-McIver-Driver-BLK_open-1024x896.jpg 
Views:	264 
Size:	81.2 KB 
ID:	151486  
    Quote Originally Posted by Ernest_Hemingway View Post
    I realize there is not much hope for a bullfighting forum. I understand that most of you would prefer to discuss the ingredients of jacket fabrics than the ingredients of a brave man. I know nothing of the former. But the latter is made of courage, and skill, and grace in the presence of the possibility of death. If someone could make a jacket of those three things it would no doubt be the most popular and prized item in all of your closets.

If you're into the whole stealth weed thing, we always thought this thing was cool in high school:

http://bakoda.com/en/customers_products/mciver-driver
    Still have one. Weighs a metric ton but works.

Same setup here

Quote Originally Posted by ak_powder_monkey View Post
    So dumb question, but also one that has been on my mind for a while... Is there a leatherman type tool with the oversized screw drivers useful for adjusting bindings that I can throw in my BC pack (and you know have a few other uses, like a knife)?
    Foil tape waterproof, Self splint's due to rigidity no sticks necessary, will easily adhere to trees and is reflective if you can't fix your sticks
    "I, the undersigned,
    shall forfeit all rights, privileges, and licenses herein
    and herein contained, et cetera, et cetera . . . fax mentis
    incendium gloria culpum, et cetera, et cetera . . . memo bis
    punitor delicatum!" It's all there, black and white, clear
    as crystal! You stole Fizzy Lifting Drinks. You bumped
    into the ceiling which now has to be washed and sterilized,
    so you get nothing! You lose! Good day, sir!

NOPE (?)---^ homedepot wp foil tape keep it in da kit
    "I, the undersigned,
    shall forfeit all rights, privileges, and licenses herein
    and herein contained, et cetera, et cetera . . . fax mentis
    incendium gloria culpum, et cetera, et cetera . . . memo bis
    punitor delicatum!" It's all there, black and white, clear
    as crystal! You stole Fizzy Lifting Drinks. You bumped
    into the ceiling which now has to be washed and sterilized,
    so you get nothing! You lose! Good day, sir!

Awesome tool here from Brooks Range Mountaineering, but unclear if it still available anywhere. More for techies.

http://www.wildsnow.com/3493/backcountry-skiing-tool/

so it looks like the answer is no... unless I have something with a ton of moving parts
    Its not that I suck at spelling, its that I just don't care

Quote Originally Posted by systemoverblow'd View Post
    They took mine at the airport a few weeks ago. I'm not checking my camera bag for a leatherman, pricks can keep the fucking thing.
    They let me walk to the store across from security and buy an envelope and stamps so I could mail it back home. I thought that was cool - usually TSA types are complete pricks so i was surprised.