Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 LastLast
    I got a Leatherman skeletool for Christmas a few years back. I really liked it and I got a set of bits that worked for my bindings (Allen head since I was using inserts and machine screws).

I have no idea what happened to it and that really pisses me off. I can't give it anywhere and it's an expensive too to replace. I should probably just order another one because as soon as I do I will find it...

Seth

Sent from my Pixel 2 using TGR Forums mobile app

I had to leave my super-wondo Leatherman in Tokyo last winter.........Moral of story, if you fly somewhere don't forget to take it out of your pack and stow it with your checked luggage. That shit get's expensive.....but they make nice gifts for the baggage checker types overseas.

i cant read 3 pages , on my phone , but whats consensous on best tool to carry to screw around with misbehaving dyna beasts, one of my toes has that thing that can stick up in air and consequently gets bent bootpacking and combined with ice causes fail

tool needs to be liteweight if possible or this will be second time i ditch beasts and for good
    www.freeridesystems.com
    ski & ride jackets made in colorado
    maggot discount code TGR20
    ok we'll come up with a solution by then makers....

Quote Originally Posted by Lord Thomas View Post
    I had to leave my super-wondo Leatherman in Tokyo last winter.........Moral of story, if you fly somewhere don't forget to take it out of your pack and stow it with your checked luggage. That shit get's expensive.....but they make nice gifts for the baggage checker types overseas.
    I can't even count the number of times I have had to go though airport security because of tools left in my bags. If I have time I will go back to the desk and "check an extra piece of luggage" aka: a Leatherman or knife. I always laugh when my knife or Leatherman spits out on the baggage carousel in a little plastic bag with a luggage tag on it.
    I just sucks going back though security again.

So are do all those bit drivers on multitools use normal sized bits? Seems like they do. Which means you can just buy the extra bits you need for a dollar and swap out the ones you won't need or put the extras in a baggie. Seems like an adequate solution. I always lose or break those things, but for some reason, I've had the same $10 Walmart stocking stuffer special for a few years now. I think it has a bit driver. Good to know!
    No longer stuck.

Quote Originally Posted by stuckathuntermtn View Post
    Just an uneducated guess.

Ya wanna know something funny? I've been carrying a regular ass screwdriver with switchable head around for years. Flips between flat and phillips. I think I "borrowed" it from my FIL. Works great. Also carry a weatherman wave for the rest. Maybe it is heavy, but I'm probably the heaviest one in the overall equation.

Quote Originally Posted by shredgnar View Post
    Ya wanna know something funny? I've been carrying a regular ass screwdriver with switchable head around for years. Flips between flat and phillips. I think I "borrowed" it from my FIL. Works great. Also carry a weatherman wave for the rest. Maybe it is heavy, but I'm probably the heaviest one in the overall equation.
    Leatherman has a six sided bit but it is not standard. It is flatter. Can’t speak to other manufacturers.

Leatherman type multi tool for skis?

Not a multi tool, but...

The pozi bits (#1, #2, #3) are made by Wiha, and I think they're available on Amazon. Ratchet is Vim, and I think they sell it at Champman Tools. I carry around just the ratchet and a long Pozi 3 (Or whatever else is relevant) in my pocket when I think I'll need it, otherwise the pouch resides in my gear bag in the car.

I do have a Leatherman Micra that goes absolutely everywhere with me, that I have had for twenty years and can hardly live without, but it's really only good for adjusting Dynafits and kid bindings.

Recently found the best compact ratchet for standard bits, Victorinox Swiss Tool Ratchet. Sold separately or as a part of Swiss Tool multitool set. Small, simple and solid, with micro step ratchet, no switches to mess with inevitably while working in hard to reach places. Pretty expensive thoughName:  20190106_180946.jpeg
Views: 1343
Size:  8.0 KB

As for Leathermans - discontinued Leatherman Pulse (welcome to eBay) is a good balance of big pliers and lockable tools + not so heavy as modern Wave, Surge etc. Big flat screwdriver is OK for setting hi-DIN alpine bindings as it can be used as "L"-shaped key. Thin and longer than generally used posidrive-2 for quiver killer screws

Quote Originally Posted by Va Ki Bo View Post
    Recently found the best compact ratchet for standard bits, Victorinox Swiss Tool Ratchet. Sold separately or as a part of Swiss Tool multitool set. Small, simple and solid, with micro step ratchet, no switches to mess with inevitably while working in hard to reach places. Pretty expensive thoughName:  20190106_180946.jpeg
Views: 1343
Size:  8.0 KB
    Topeak has a good compact ratchet, The Ratchet Rocket it is cheaper than the Victorinox Tool, and allows you to also put the bit in the end of the handle for longer reach or more leverage.
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	product-tools-mini-tools-ratchet-rocket-lite-dx-ratchet-rocket-lite-dx-3-35670aa49de188bd4999277.jpg 
Views:	156 
Size:	63.5 KB 
ID:	263126

Someone showed me the Swiss ratchet years ago and it's always been on my list. Hadn't seen that Topeak tool before, but I like it. I just picked up one of these:

Quote Originally Posted by Dee Hubbs View Post
    Topeak has a good compact ratchet, The Ratchet Rocket it is cheaper than the Victorinox Tool, and allows you to also put the bit in the end of the handle for longer reach or more leverage.
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	product-tools-mini-tools-ratchet-rocket-lite-dx-ratchet-rocket-lite-dx-3-35670aa49de188bd4999277.jpg 
Views:	156 
Size:	63.5 KB 
ID:	263126
    That's brilliant.

Subscribed.
    Quote Originally Posted by XXX-er View Post
    the situation strikes me as WAY too much drama at this point

Quote Originally Posted by lucknau View Post
    Not a multi tool, but...

The pozi bits (#1, #2, #3) are made by Wiha, and I think they're available on Amazon. Ratchet is Vim, and I think they sell it at Champman Tools. I carry around just the ratchet and a long Pozi 3 (Or whatever else is relevant) in my pocket when I think I'll need it, otherwise the pouch resides in my gear bag in the car.
    That's nice, especially with the longer bits for those Sally 900 toe pieces. Only thing I don't like about 900s is having to dig out a longer pozi bit to reach down in there..
    Go that way really REALLY fast. If something gets in your way, TURN!

This looks pretty cool. Some different options. Multi tool belt buckle

https://instagram.com/fixmfg?utm_sou...=1i26x6rvoz3hr

I used to carry the following kit:

Swiss Army Knife (Tinker):

https://www.swissarmy.com/us/en/Prod...inker/p/1.4603

Small needle nose pliers with cutters:

https://www.channellock.com/product/e326/

Bit driver:

https://www.wihatools.com/softfinish...RoCvH8QAvD_BwE

And a set of bits in a small plastic vial, the bits are chosen to fit my gear.

The weight of the above tools without bits is 10.7 oz

Then this week I thought I would get smart and buy a full size multi tool to replace the kit I was carrying so I purchased a Gerber Center Drive:

https://www.rei.com/product/144357/g...ive-multi-tool

I still would carry the same vial of bits, but use the multi tool as a driver instead of the Wiha driver.

The center drive weighs 9.7 oz with no bits.

Now that I've handled the center drive and weighed it versus my old tool kit I'm having second thoughts. The old kit was nice because it's modular (I can just carry the swiss army knife if the tour is short enough and the snow is shallow enough that I could hike out if something broke) and I like that the tools are all real tools that I would use at home in the garage, where the multi tool is "emergency" only and I usually don't use it if I need a pair of pliers at home. Also it can be nice to have your screwdriver and pliers separate, in case you need to hold a nut with the pliers and tighten a screw into it with the screw driver. Or if you drop a single tool in the snow, it's not ALL of your tools.

Quote Originally Posted by ClayCole View Post
    Now that I've handled the center drive and weighed it versus my old tool kit I'm having second thoughts. The old kit was nice because it's modular (I can just carry the swiss army knife if the tour is short enough and the snow is shallow enough that I could hike out if something broke) and I like that the tools are all real tools that I would use at home in the garage, where the multi tool is "emergency" only and I usually don't use it if I need a pair of pliers at home. Also it can be nice to have your screwdriver and pliers separate, in case you need to hold a nut with the pliers and tighten a screw into it with the screw driver. Or if you drop a single tool in the snow, it's not ALL of your tools.
    Good perspective. Plus, with the modular setup, you can tinker every year with what you add and drop.

Not a leatherman type tool but stumbled across this and think its a good simple option.

https://us-store.genuineguidegear.co...y-binding-toolClick image for larger version. 

Name:	1FA0507C-C44F-49BE-95B7-68F391260874.png 
Views:	113 
Size:	295.0 KB 
ID:	344227
    a positive attitude will not solve all of your problems, but it may annoy enough people to make it worth the effort

Formerly Rludes025

Leatherman type multi tool for skis?

I carry some sorta Leatherman/Gerber multi tool, a Doc Allen's VersaTool with appropriate bits and a 4'’ needle nose vice grip.

Name:  davt.jpg
Views: 666
Size:  9.2 KB

Name:  4vg.jpg
Views: 645
Size:  4.5 KB
    Last edited by ~mikey b; 10-20-2020 at 11:54 PM.
    I didn't believe in reincarnation when I was your age either.

^Never seen the VersaTool, looks cool.

I'd suggest looking at fancy bike tools too.

Wera makes a nice bit drive as does Wolftooth among others. It's a great way to customize your kit.

Quote Originally Posted by Eluder View Post
    Not a leatherman type tool but stumbled across this and think its a good simple option.
    https://us-store.genuineguidegear.co...y-binding-tool
    That's really slick, and small enough I'll actually take it with me.

Quote Originally Posted by thejongiest View Post
    I'd suggest looking at fancy bike tools too.

Wera makes a nice bit drive as does Wolftooth among others. It's a great way to customize your kit.
    I actually have some Wera kits on my bike work bench. Good stuff for sure.Click image for larger version. 

Name:	6BE3FEFA-0F2A-4C3B-80ED-38572BE237E9.jpg 
Views:	93 
Size:	752.2 KB 
ID:	344296

Long bits with the mini ratchet is my go to.
    a positive attitude will not solve all of your problems, but it may annoy enough people to make it worth the effort

Formerly Rludes025

Quote Originally Posted by Eluder View Post
    I actually have some Wera kits on my bike work bench. Good stuff for sure.Click image for larger version. 

Name:	6BE3FEFA-0F2A-4C3B-80ED-38572BE237E9.jpg 
Views:	93 
Size:	752.2 KB 
ID:	344296

Long bits with the mini ratchet is my go to.
    Oooh, that looks nice.

I've been tempted to get a Leatherman with a bit driver, and then get their extender that lets you use normal 1/4" hex bits. I just worry about it being a PITA to actually use, with the big ass tool getting in the way of turning it, but I think the extender would help (plus I could use the whole pile of bits I already have).

This would be field fixes only, I have real tools at home and in my truck.

Quote Originally Posted by HAB View Post
    ...a Leatherman with a bit driver, and then get their extender that lets you use normal 1/4" hex bits. I just worry about it being a PITA to actually use...
    I have the gerber version of this in my pack, 3" posi bit plus the adapter gets the handle out of the way. Totally adequate for field fixes.