Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 LastLast
    Leatherman Skeletool with the extended bit driver and some normal 1/8" bits, plus a longer pozi 3, pozi 2 and T25 bit.

I've had security do^^ that in toronto or maybe it was vancover, check ia swiss army knife into baggage or mail it home, they aren't confiscating your knife you just can't bring it on the plane

I think it was gatwick they confiscated my U-bike lock, roll of ductape & cable ties from a bike tour in France ...small potatoes in what you spend during a month in yurp

I have flown back in the day with a complete brief case tool kit, knives/ screw drivers/ the whole 9 yards
    Lee Lau - xxx-er is the laziest Asian canuck I know

whats the foil tape?

Sent from my SCH-I500 using TGR Forums

2nding the skeletool. I keep mine in my touring pack.

Sent from my Nexus 4 using TGR Forums

I got this one: http://www.leatherman.com/831912.html#start=1

and the bigger flathead is burly enough to deal with binding screws. Not your ideal and definitely slowly than having a bigger bit and screwdriver, but has certainly done its job both in the living room and in BC emergencies...

Reviving this... A number of votes for the Skeletool, anything better out there these days?

Get the smallest one you can find but with pliers, then get a screwdriver like dakine sells.
    The two will work better and weigh less.

I broke a beefy leatherman on my binding screws and the dakine takes a lot more torque.
    https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0...?tag=totalbike

I didn't believe in reincarnation when I was your age either.

I'm on my 3rd Leatherman wave (loss not breakage) it is heavy but the pliers grip, the wire cutter works, mini saw has helped trim lines, file is good for ski edges, measuring markings I've used often, watch and sunglasses screwdriver is there when you need it, scissors I do my nails with, the flat bar is a great lever and adjusts my solly binders. I recently bought the driver bit kit I'm yet to put any torque on it but I hope it's good. I wish it came with a pozidriv 3 for my ions but the 2 will do

Bumping this thread to see if anyone has new input on this topic.

See a lot of this in the field, but doesn't have pliers on it like a multi-tool... https://www.blackdiamondequipment.co...xoCSQ8QAvD_BwE

Brooks Range out of business...

Other repair kit tool favorites?
    "In the end, these things matter most: how well did you love? How fully did you live? How deeply did you let go?" - Buddha

"Come back alive, come back as friends, get to the top-in that order." -Mark Twight

I've used misc keys on my key chain to adjust bindings, pry up the tab, turn worm screws, set DIN, etc.. simply becaus my keys were in my coat pocket and my emergency repair tools were in the boot bag back at the car. Most ski places also now have a table with big pozi and flatheads chained to it for DIY binding work somewhere in or around the base lodge or rental shop. I get that you might be way away from the car or lift served infrastructure but odds are your din, BSL and forward pressure should be done before you get too far right?? I've got a HUGE leatherman.. hardly ever use it because by the time I remember where it is I've McGyvered a quicker solution than digging it out from wherever it's stashed.
    Go that way really REALLY fast. If something gets in your way, TURN!

Quote Originally Posted by SumJongGuy View Post
    I've used misc keys on my key chain to adjust bindings, pry up the tab, turn worm screws, set DIN, etc.. simply becaus my keys were in my coat pocket and my emergency repair tools were in the boot bag back at the car. Most ski places also now have a table with big pozi and flatheads chained to it for DIY binding work somewhere in or around the base lodge or rental shop. I get that you might be way away from the car or lift served infrastructure but odds are your din, BSL and forward pressure should be done before you get too far right?? I've got a HUGE leatherman.. hardly ever use it because by the time I remember where it is I've McGyvered a quicker solution than digging it out from wherever it's stashed.
    Yeah...I think this thread is more geared towards big touring days and multi-day/hut trips where stuff might break or wiggle loose. Obviously, you can't be prepared for everything, but some sort of multi-tool with a pozi, torx, and flathead is a pretty reasonable thing to carry.
    "Alpine rock and steep, deep powder are what I seek, and I will always find solace there." - Bean Bowers

photos

Does anyone make a simple Pozi3 L-Key that could be added to a pack? This seems like a small light cheap way to add to my leatheman I already have. Wera makes a pozi 1/2 but not a 3. I carried torx ones for my NTNs and would like a pozi for my dynafits.

Quote Originally Posted by auvgeek View Post
    Yeah...I think this thread is more geared towards big touring days and multi-day/hut trips where stuff might break or wiggle loose. Obviously, you can't be prepared for everything, but some sort of multi-tool with a pozi, torx, and flathead is a pretty reasonable thing to carry.
    So true that you can't be prepared for everything. 2 days after I slimmed down my repair kit (have never needed the bailing wire in 500+ days of touring, and thought it was dumb to keep carrying it around... since I couldn't conceive of what on my gear would break that I would need it), a touring partner I was with had to ask Mr. adrenalated for some bailing wire on the hut trip we were on.

I used to have the rule "know why you are carrying each item in your repair kit" but I continue to be surprised by the creative ways that the universe can deliver a failure to my (or a partner's) gear in the BC
    "In the end, these things matter most: how well did you love? How fully did you live? How deeply did you let go?" - Buddha

"Come back alive, come back as friends, get to the top-in that order." -Mark Twight

Quote Originally Posted by jesski View Post
    a touring partner I was with had to ask Mr. adrenalated for some bailing wire on the hut trip we were on
    so, what did he use it for?

I continue to be surprised by the creative ways that the universe can deliver a failure to my (or a partner's) gear in the BC
    Yeah, I was thinking about the time a partner blew a boot cuff rivet on the first day of a hut trip. Field fixed with a bolt, which was a bit sloppy but ain't nobody carrying a rivet gun around in a field repair kit.

Quote Originally Posted by carlh View Post
    would like a pozi for my dynafits.
    Don't forget that Dynafit has gone to Torx heads for their mounting screws now. Not saying yours aren't the older Pozi's, but I thought I'd mention for anyone assuming all Dynafits are Pozi like alpine binders.
    "Alpine rock and steep, deep powder are what I seek, and I will always find solace there." - Bean Bowers

photos

I guess half the "fun" of it is having to think on your feet and solve problems along the way. Definitely a major point of inflection between not enough tools and carrying too much un needed crap.
    Go that way really REALLY fast. If something gets in your way, TURN!

Quote Originally Posted by auvgeek View Post
    Yeah, I was thinking about the time a partner blew a boot cuff rivet on the first day of a hut trip. Field fixed with a bolt, which was a bit sloppy but ain't nobody carrying a rivet gun around in a field repair kit.

Don't forget that Dynafit has gone to Torx heads for their mounting screws now. Not saying yours aren't the older Pozi's, but I thought I'd mention for anyone assuming all Dynafits are Pozi like alpine binders.
    My dynafits are mounted on inserts with posi head screws so I can swap between winter and spring touring skis cause I a cheap bastard and don't want to buy a second set but it is a good reminder to check your gear.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	R0013416.jpg 
Views:	103 
Size:	1.46 MB 
ID:	262760

Name:	R0013417.jpg 
Views:	110 
Size:	1.44 MB 
ID:	262761

Bumping this thread to see if anyone has new input on this topic.

See a lot of this in the field, but doesn't have pliers on it like a multi-tool... https://www.blackdiamondequipment.co...xoCSQ8QAvD_BwE

Brooks Range out of business...

Other repair kit tool favorites?
    I guess there’s this:
    https://www.leatherman.com/skeletool-18.html

I carry a Binding Buddy, and a mini Vise Grip, and a small Swiss Army Knife, but I kind of hate Leatherman-type tools so I’m okay with a little more weight.

Also, looks like you might still be able to get a Brooks-Range tool:
    https://www.amazon.com/Ski-Binding-T.../dp/B07853RLLQ

Edit: i just looked and instead of a Binding Buddy, it seems I carry this, but I don’t remember where I got it:

Name:	8CC7A642-8622-4181-A0E5-A544DE0226D0.jpg 
Views:	113 
Size:	668.3 KB 
ID:	262771

Quote Originally Posted by carlh View Post
    Does anyone make a simple Pozi3 L-Key that could be added to a pack? This seems like a small light cheap way to add to my leatheman I already have. Wera makes a pozi 1/2 but not a 3. I carried torx ones for my NTNs and would like a pozi for my dynafits.
    Does this work?

Quote Originally Posted by Meadow Skipper View Post
    Edit: i just looked and instead of a Binding Buddy, it seems I carry this, but I don’t remember where I got it:

Name:	8CC7A642-8622-4181-A0E5-A544DE0226D0.jpg 
Views:	113 
Size:	668.3 KB 
ID:	262771
    Think that's the old Doc Allen versatool. It appears is out of stock and out of business?

Quote Originally Posted by hafjell View Post
    Does this work?
    That looks pretty cool. I have a weakness for tools like that.

Quote Originally Posted by hafjell View Post
    Think that's the old Doc Allen versatool. It appears is out of stock and out of business?
    I think you're right about who made it. You might be a gear nerd.

There seems to be a ton of little drivers with extensions available, like the one SKIP INTRO posted above.

Quote Originally Posted by acinpdx View Post
    so, what did he use it for?
    Ski/walk mechanism on the Arc Procline

that g3 one looks great, I will pick one up on my next Backcountry order as shipping is more then the tool