Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

112+ road miles on a mtn bike?

I just started mtn biking last year so its still debatable if I can even ride 112+ miles (then run a 50K). But should I try and do it on my mtn bike? Or find a cheap craigslist road bike which I have no idea how to ride.

People should learn endurance; they should learn to endure the discomforts of heat and cold, hunger and thirst; they should learn to be patient when receiving abuse and scorn; for it is the practice of endurance that quenches the fire of worldly passions which is burning up their bodies.
    --Buddha

*))
    ((*
    *))
    ((*

www.skiclinics.com

A mountain bike is going to be slooowwww. Maybe they'll give you a special reward. I'm not for telling anyone not to try something, but maybe you want to put slick tires on that mountain bike and get rid of the knobbies.

i would def use a road bike. couldn't you just borrow a decent one from a friend/mag nearby?

At least put slicks on it if you go that route.

Saw a guy finish the Death ride here in the Tahoe area which is around 125 miles with 15K of climbing on a mountain bike with knobby tires and no seat or seat post, so he stood the whole way, pretty wacko!

I've ridden 75 miles on a relatively light ss hardtail with slicks in VT. 75 was doable but it sucked. Can't imagine doing another 30 over that.

If your mtn bike weighs in the 22 range right now, maybe with slicks. Otherwise do not do.

Agree that an MTB is a bad idea, but, if you're going to attempt 112 on anything, make sure you are comfortable on it. If you buy or borrow a roadie, have it fitted, and do at least 50 on it before attempting the 112. That is serious mileage, especially in Vermont.

Rent, buy or borrow man.
    a positive attitude will not solve all of your problems, but it may annoy enough people to make it worth the effort

Formerly Rludes025

Just here to say that the flyer for that event is super ghetto looking. I'm sure the support system will be top-notch.

Yeah it says "no support" so yeah.
    People should learn endurance; they should learn to endure the discomforts of heat and cold, hunger and thirst; they should learn to be patient when receiving abuse and scorn; for it is the practice of endurance that quenches the fire of worldly passions which is burning up their bodies.
    --Buddha

*))
    ((*
    *))
    ((*

www.skiclinics.com

Do you hate yourself?
    a positive attitude will not solve all of your problems, but it may annoy enough people to make it worth the effort

Formerly Rludes025

It's a bad idea on the mountain bike, also a bad idea to ride that long on a relatively new road bike, if you haven't put any base miles in on it. If you're fit or cleat adjustment is off it could cause issues. If you can put some miles in on the bike prior then go for it. In my opinion though you are looking for some issues, especially since you are relatively new to cycling.

it pretty doable by itself with slicks for fun but you got 2 more events and you are racing ... try and find a road bike
    Lee Lau - xxx-er is the laziest Asian canuck I know

road bike

and try to get it somewhat dialed for fit
    much like ski boots, fit (bike position) is everything for long dist biking

Almost 150 miles between the 3? Sign my up for the "fuck no" age group.
    Brought to you by Carl's Jr.

Quote Originally Posted by Tuckerman View Post
    I just started mtn biking last year ....road bike which I have no idea how to ride.
    Just to put this in perspective. You have very little experience riding, and while its not rocket science, it's possible you will riding for 8 hrs straight w little to no support. So do yourself a favor; learn some basic maintenance skills and if your mtn bike with slicks is over 25 lbs get a road bike and get some good long rides in before you do this. Every long ride I have ever done in hilly terrain gets exponentially harder after 65 miles or so. Your magic number may be higher IDK.

Do not ride your mtb[even with slicks] in this race followed by a 50k run if you want to finish in a reasonable time. An mtb is inefficient in so many ways other than the tires it's a non starter.
    www.apriliaforum.com

"If the road You followed brought you to this,of what use was the road"?

"I have no idea what I am talking about but would be happy to share my biased opinions as fact on the matter. "
    Ottime

Do it on a fat bike.

Pussy.

Free event sounds cool. Most events cost way too much. $100 to use public roads and lakes? No thanks, I'll do the distance on my own.

But yeah, that would be an incredibly awful experience on a mountain bike.

If it's a "road" race in VT, it's gonna involve dirt. Just something to consider.

Good luck.
    Post up with what you end up riding on and how it goes.
    However many are in a shit ton.

Circa '93. No car. Working 7-11 from 4:30 a.m. till 1. Hit my second job at 3-2 a.m. 3 months of that B.S.

One day off all summer. Pushed it to Montalk. Nothing but a mountain bike (45 lbs.) a towel, water bottle, and one day off. Ate more seafood and beer that I could pack down. Slept on the beach (don't do this au natural), and made the very crunchy ride home in time for work the next day.

Not recommended. But, extremely memorable.
    Is it radix panax notoginseng? - splat
    This is like hanging yourself but the rope breaks. - DTM
    Dude Listen to mtm. He's a marriage counselor at burning man. - subtle plague

What is the event? Road course only? Lots of tough competitors likely on mtbs...what is ur goal?

Cross bike may work but if u want to ride the rig later, an mtb isnt out of the question...my scott scott spark 10 has full lock out and w the right tires can easily be riden lots of miles..el tour de tucson has many full distance riders on fat tires...who didnt set out for course records

Sent from my SCH-I535 using TGR Forums

I have a carbon hardtail 29er with a fork lockout and wouldn't even think of using it for something like this. You lose a shitload of speed. I would be comfortable doing 20+ mph average for the whole 100mi on my road bike. With the mtb it would be around 15.

Has to be a road bike (or cross bike with slicks), and you have to get in a 100mi ride before the event to get a feel for what it is like to spend 5-6 hours straight in the saddle. A few in the 60-80mi range would be good too.

Over 50 is when you really get a feel for what needs to change with the fit for comfort. The longest ride I did last year was only ~80mi and I was pretty disappointed with the discomfort I felt. Thought I was going to have to stop but sucked it up, took a break, stretched, and felt better. Saddle wore out and ass got skinnier and suddenly I'm not as comfortable on my bike for long periods of time anymore. Time for some new parts and more stretching I guess.

I used to ride this on my Bridgestone in high school. Maybe 2-3 x a month. That said, while you could do it, why? You are talking about a swim AND a run(50k, at that). Just get a road bike in the last few weeks before the race, even if you want to train on your MTB. Shit, you have almost five months to save up for a roadie. Also, mags may be able to help find you a bike that will get you through without too much pain.
    "Yo!! Brentley! Ya wanna get faded before work?"