Deviation Skis (Made in Oregon)

So Deviation is the new kid on the block of hand-made-in-USA skis. I got to test a few of them over the weekend, and I was very impressed with the fleet they have put together. I did a review of the Mode, their version of an "all mountain ski" (I'll give you a hint: their version is not a mid-fat that sucks the fun out of skiing). In short, the Mode is a turny, fun ski that floats well and is most at home in tight terrain. For the mags that prefer to make two turns per 1000 vertical feet, The Function or The Limit (reviews pending) might be more your style.

See a full review of the Mode here: http://kickturner.blogspot.com/2014/...mode.html#more

Just a little advice you might want to pass on. This photo:

http://2.bp.blogspot.com/-MU-AmRrL2F...0/IMG_0281.jpg

Is not the most confidence inspiring.

Thanks for the advice on the photo. It's actually mine, not deviation's. Out of curiosity, what is not confidence inspiring about it?

I'm sure it's just a steep little pitch and you're moving back to accomodate (as a fellow west coast heavy snow skier I can relate), but even the best skiers on the planet can have freeze frames that aren't so great. It looks hesitant / back-seat-ish. I'm guessing a few frames later as you start making your next turn would have looked better. Not trying to be a dick, just thought I'd mention it.

Well, you know, that's just, like, your opinion, man. I promise when I quit my day job, I'll take better ski photos for you. Thanks for reading!

I don't think tahoeJ was concerned about you taking better pictures for "him", he was just trying to tell you in a very nice way that it's a shitty picture that's not going to make anyone try the skis or take your reviews seriously. It may be his opinion that your picture sucks, but it's an opinion that's likely to be shared by most people who will look at it.
    So, when someone offers you polite constructive criticism, don't be a snarky little douche. It won't do you or the skis you're writing about any good.

Deep Helmet,

I get where you're coming from--I guess reading that response in deadpan sounds a little douchy. I'll offer some context in the hopes that you will find me a little more palatable:

1. "Well, you know, that's just, like, your opinion, man" is Big Lebowski quote...it's not meant to be taken seriously.
    2. Obviously, tahoeJ is not concerned about me taking better pictures for him. I was just surprised to get commentary on my photography in this setting. The shot was taken while I was out having fun with some friends on a point and shoot. Usually people around here care more about the skis. I was just making a little joke.

tahoeJ, I appreciate your feedback and I am sorry if I caused any offense.

I guess the point is, I had a lot of fun on these skis and I'm trying to give an up and coming ski company a little well deserved pub.

I saw em the last couple days, look good.

BRUTAH seemed to like em

I'll check with the folks at Deviation. They still only have a small demo fleet so you have to catch them when they're in town. Where are you located?

Thanks s(p)am. skis look like every other ski out there from the past 5 years. blah blah blah

Connorbons: I talked to Matt at Deviation to see if they were doing a Montana trip this winter and it sounds like they will be at Bridger or Big Sky near the end of March. I think they usually post their demo days on Facebook...so you might look there to see when things get scheduled.

lebowski skiis??!!?

No, he abides.
    Daniel Ortega eats here.

Of course he skis. Just not during league play.

Review of the Function, Deviation's big mountain ski. A fun ski if you like to go fast: http://kickturner.blogspot.com/2014/...deviation.html

Quote Originally Posted by TahoeJ View Post
    Just a little advice you might want to pass on. This photo:

http://2.bp.blogspot.com/-MU-AmRrL2F...0/IMG_0281.jpg

Is not the most confidence inspiring.
    I have that pair of the Deviation Mode 112 in a 188 and have been rocking them for 10 straight years now. I tried them out at their last demo stop of the year at Mt Bachelor on a day that provided nearly every skiing condition and I immediately fell in love with them. I threw some inserts in them for the demo bindings that came with them and a pair of Dynafits. While they are a much heavier than I'd like for touring, they are perhaps my favorite Swiss army knife for the PNW. For reference, I'm a huge ON3P fan having several pairs of ON3P, Moment Wildcats, Praxis, amongst others skis. I loved the Mode so much I just bought another pair with their Mt Hood/Multnomah Falls topsheets. My girlfriend has a pair of ON3P Steeple 112s, ON3P Billy Goat Tour 118 Grizzlycorns, and Moment Bellas, but she prefers her Deviation Limit with her Cannon Beach/Jellyfish topsheets above all others. Click image for larger version. 

Name:	20240301_124212.jpeg 
Views:	41 
Size:	105.2 KB 
ID:	488846

Sent from my SM-N970U using TGR Forums mobile app
    Eat drink and be merry, for tomorrow you may be in Utah...