Page 19 of 40 FirstFirst ... 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 ... LastLast
    Quote Originally Posted by CaliBrit View Post
    Just as a data point, my bsl is 306 so slightly on the smaller end and I am 155lbs. 191 RES BG skis great for me from 0 to +1. Settled on them at +0.6, I have a fetish for marker demo bindings so I can tinker with mount all day.
    Whatever works for you is best! Good to know for sure. I have not had that same experience, but that is why we are discussing here. As a normal guideline I would not recommend mounting forward and getting over that RES but that is just me.
    You should have been here yesterday!

^^ I know nothing about that story Spook, but every manufacturer - every single one - has the occasional lemon. What I do know is that I have yet to put a core shot in any of my ON3P's despite skiing the rocks of Tahoe, while my Volkl / Blizzard / Salomon skis over the past few years have all had to have base-grinds. Tahoe has become ground zero when it comes to testing a ski's durability, that's for sure.

Quote Originally Posted by CaliBrit View Post
    Are you sure about this? I am not sure this is true. The whole flip core malarkey was they milled the underside of the core not the upper, but I have never heard about the camber being milled into the ski. Pretty sure the camber comes from the press for all skis. Milling a camber into the core would be a pretty intense manufacturing task.
    Quote Originally Posted by adrenalated View Post
    Volkl does mill the camber/rocker into their cores (at least for the low reverse camber freeride skis like the Gotama, Shiro, etc.) However, they are the only ones that I am aware of doing this.
    I wanna say I heard this from a few reps' mouths (can't remember the companies), so obviously a grain of salt, and obviously not the tips or tails, and I have no idea with rocker. I wanna say it was the German/Austrian companies. Maybe a few others.
    It would be nice if the Moment guys still posted here.

Quote Originally Posted by TahoeJ View Post
    ^^ I know nothing about that story Spook, but every manufacturer - every single one - has the occasional lemon. What I do know is that I have yet to put a core shot in any of my ON3P's despite skiing the rocks of Tahoe, while my Volkl / Blizzard / Salomon skis over the past few years have all had to have base-grinds. Tahoe has become ground zero when it comes to testing a ski's durability, that's for sure.
    There are gnomes that live on Lone Mountain that come out at night and uncover and sharpen the rocks then put about an inch of snow over them to hide them again.
    No longer stuck.

Quote Originally Posted by stuckathuntermtn View Post
    Just an uneducated guess.

As far as I know: Blizzard (and thus Nordica and some Armadas), Völkl, and Dynastar all mill most of the camber/rocker profile into their higher end skis. Could be wrong though, and dynastar might have changed with the move to Spain.

Back to ON3P: easily the toughest bases and edges of any ski I have been on recently. With the low snow this year I have spent a lot of time on my Dynastar 105s, ON3P Kartels, and Viciks (touring). Repaired a couple core shots and use a lot of Petex on the legends, none on the ON3Ps, and over the last 6 seasons have never core shot a single ON3P ski. So they got that going for them.

There are gnomes that live on Lone Mountain that come out at night and uncover and sharpen the rocks then put about an inch of snow over them to hide them again.
    I can attest to these gnomes and how they tested the bases of my first pair of ON3P ski. After several consecutive turns at speed across a patch of many of these rocks. I expected core shots, and maybe even a blown edge. But no, several gouges, easily fixed with some P-Tex.
    So while I have to admit to being a bit of a TGR based fanboy, some of the hype is true.

So to add to the fanboy stoke:Click image for larger version. 

Name:	ImageUploadedByTGR Forums1422414746.085266.jpg 
Views:	301 
Size:	930.7 KB 
ID:	163165

spook Guest
    so that's what a stained jerantula looks like. sweet! did any pmsgear stickers ever get made? I'd love to slap some around timberline,meadows and bachelor.

Quote Originally Posted by XavierD View Post
    As far as I know: Blizzard (and thus Nordica and some Armadas), Völkl, and Dynastar all mill most of the camber/rocker profile into their higher end skis. Could be wrong though, and dynastar might have changed with the move to Spain.
    I thought blizzard's flipcore was just profiling the core as normal but flipping it upside down in the press, so that the curved surface faces down and the flat surface faces up? Not actually milling the rocker into the core, but having a similar effect? Could be totally wrong on that one.

I thought blizzard's flipcore was just profiling the core as normal but flipping it upside down in the press, so that the curved surface faces down and the flat surface faces up? Not actually milling the rocker into the core, but having a similar effect? Could be totally wrong on that one.
    Yep that's what I thought (and still really think).

We are not planning on milling the core to create rocker any time soon. Not going to knock other companies choices, but we believe the energy/rebound of a ski and it's lively nature partly comes from molding and pressing the ski into the shape you want.

Quote Originally Posted by galenparke View Post
    some of the hype is true.

So to add to the fanboy stoke:Click image for larger version. 

Name:	ImageUploadedByTGR Forums1422414746.085266.jpg 
Views:	301 
Size:	930.7 KB 
ID:	163165
    Nice quiver. And all the hype is true

Quote Originally Posted by PowTron View Post
    We are not planning on milling the core to create rocker any time soon. Not going to knock other companies choices, but we believe the energy/rebound of a ski and it's lively nature partly comes from molding and pressing the ski into the shape you want.

From what Scott has said they experimented with flipping the core, and were not really impressed with the results.
    Training for Alpental

I think milling the core has greater utility in reverse cambered skis, where you're not going to get any life/pop/rebound out of the ski anyway due to the shape. Skis like the Cochise, Gotama, Shiro, Katana are all great skis, but they all have basically no pop whatsoever.

Pressing the ski into the camber you want basically preloads the core into a spring, giving it more pop when you flex against that spring.

Milling the camber into the core keeps all of the preload out of the core, theoretically making the ski more durable over time (won't flatten out and lose it's camber).

My experience is that skis built with higher quality, thicker wood cores (Praxis and ON3P) take much longer to lose their camber - to the point where other things on the ski will be worn out first, so I view it as a non-issue.

I know you're all at SIA and that's a wicked priority, but I sent the info@ON3P an email that I would appreciate hugely if someone could give it a look. It is concerning a pair of sticks I got off you guys last season

Quote Originally Posted by Pudge. View Post
    I know you're all at SIA and that's a wicked priority, but I sent the info@ON3P an email that I would appreciate hugely if someone could give it a look. It is concerning a pair of sticks I got off you guys last season
    I will have someone look as soon as they can. I'll be at SIA to deliver the message in a couple of hours.

Thanks a ton Powtron!

Do the sidewalls help hold the camber?
    No longer stuck.

Just an uneducated guess.

Quote Originally Posted by Pudge. View Post
    Thanks a ton Powtron!
    Heard about the situation. Glad we are going to take care of it for you.

I'll have a new thread up for 2015-2016 after the weekend.

^^^ Liking the tidbits I have seen on Instagram so far. Looking forward to the thread PT!

Wren 106, just sayin.

Heard about the situation. Glad we are going to take care of it for you.
    Just when I thought it was difficult to be more satisfied with a brand's customer service. Cannot thank all you guys enough

In regards to mounting positions....I had Guardians mounted on my 186 BG. I broke one of the bindings in half and would really rather not go with another set of them. Due to hole conflicts I'm not sure if I have much choice. Thought the adrenalin would work but looks like I lined up the templates wrong. If I go anywhere off of the line am I completely ruining the ski? Is there any preference to forward or back or whichever one is closest to the line? Maybe this is another sign to go tech...

Quote Originally Posted by HVskier View Post
    In regards to mounting positions....I had Guardians mounted on my 186 BG. I broke one of the bindings in half and would really rather not go with another set of them. Due to hole conflicts I'm not sure if I have much choice. Thought the adrenalin would work but looks like I lined up the templates wrong. If I go anywhere off of the line am I completely ruining the ski? Is there any preference to forward or back or whichever one is closest to the line? Maybe this is another sign to go tech...
    Back 1cm.

Back 1cm.
    I'm running into a similar issue. I'm trying to mount some sollyfit plates on my steeple 102s. Previous owner had beasts mounted for my bsl. The sollyfit plate holes interfere with the beasts. I know that the bindings have some range of travel, should I just mount back a bit and call it good?

Quote Originally Posted by zeroforhire View Post
    I'm running into a similar issue. I'm trying to mount some sollyfit plates on my steeple 102s. Previous owner had beasts mounted for my bsl. The sollyfit plate holes interfere with the beasts. I know that the bindings have some range of travel, should I just mount back a bit and call it good?
    Define "a bit". If it's 1 cm or less, cool. I wouldn't mess too much with the mount on a RES tip. I asked Scott about that when I bought billy goats.

Should be able to pull it off at -1, though with only 1 previous sollyfit mount.

My opinion should be given far less weight here than powtron's or iggyskier's. But it's there FWIW
    wait!!!! waitwaitwaitwaitwaitwaitwaitwait...Wait!
    Zoolander wasn't a documentary?