Page 38 of 40 FirstFirst ... 33 34 35 36 37 38 39 40 LastLast

Jeff vs BG

Quote Originally Posted by adrenalated View Post
    Compared to Jeffery, the BG is:
    -looser in pow
    -hooks less in funky 3D snow
    -floats better
    -mounted more aft, therefore the front of the ski can be driven harder, especially in chop
    -not as easy to spin
    -won't carve as precisely on hardpack
    -can't be skied from the backseat, especially on hardpack

I don't think they really overlap that much, the Jeffrey is a wide jib ski that skis any kind of snow pretty well, whereas the BG is a playful directional ski that is biased towards soft snow.
    (Note - I don't own Jeffreys, but have skied them. I think they're an excellent example of the genre but I'm not too into the jibby center-mounted feel.)
    In Blister's OLD (why they haven't tested a new one in 4 years is beyond me) review of the BG's, Will Brown said that:
    If you find yourself in situations where (except for on true pow days) the terrain and conditions largely dictate where and how you making quick, nimble moves (e.g., in monster mogul fields in the days and weeks following a big storm in Colorado, or anywhere with tight, lower-angle tree skiing), then a ski with a bit more sidecut, a more forward mount, and more symmetrical dimensions would be more suitable. Of course, trees and moguls can be skied on the BGs, but it can be done much more easily on similarly sized skis. Given this, I’m not surprised to have seen many more 190cm ON3P Caylors in Colorado than Billy Goats.
    If you're skiing CO, this makes me think that the Jeff's might be a better choice. Anyone think Will's logic holds up?

2014/2015 ON3P Skis (Official Thread) - Discussion and Lust

question for BG owners:

at 5-11, 200# of luscious dental curves, am I going to overpower the 186 (184 now?) BG?

I've read conflicting things on here...some say definitely size up, others say you don't lose much stability sizing down.

I'll have a big-boy size wren 108 when they're out next year. this would be my mellower pow day ski - trees and minigolf, not maching big open faces.

Edit: asking because I have a line on some gently used 184's.

Fuck it - trigger pulled and if I'm too fat for them one of youse will get a good deal on them next year.

Where'd you find 186 BG's?

Good move
    wait!!!! waitwaitwaitwaitwaitwaitwaitwait...Wait!
    Zoolander wasn't a documentary?

Quote Originally Posted by ffmedic84 View Post
    Where'd you find 186 BG's?
    There are lots of 184s around on the web. Colorado ski shop dot com has them if you're looking.

Disregard. Thought it said 186. I've found 184 and 189 BG's and 186 Jeffrey's. So tossed on what to buy. I'm 6'1 but only 165lbs so I think the 184 might work for me a little better. The 186 Jeffrey's could be the move too. Wish I could make it to a demo day.

my understanding from iggy et al is that the 184 is the same as the 186 in terms of running length, they just trimmed the tail up.

and a person might infer from other posts that it was driven by keeping the 191 the same in terms of performance but getting it below the magical 19* number that keeps them hanging around on retail racks too long.

Yes... The 184 and 186 are basically the same ski minus some tip and tail shape changes. Don't get caught up in that bullshit where people pretend a cm here or there makes any difference.
    I ski 135 degree chutes switch to the road.

Quote Originally Posted by PowTron View Post
    Loveland demo on 2/7 as stated.

Yep, alpine boots. See you there.
    Will it be going on all day? I may not be able to make it to LL until after noon.

Help me out

I have the x evo Collab in 186 and only have one day on them. I'm an "old school" directional skier who will never ski switch. For reference, I ski a Blizzard Bonafide 180 and love them on groomer days and in the steeps. Did I buy the wrong ski with the on3P? I plan to use them primarily as a powder ski. I don't need a lot of help with float as I learned to ski powder on 203 GS toothpicks. Anyway, would the Wren 112 or BG be a better way to go?

Quote Originally Posted by thedeterminator View Post
    In Blister's OLD (why they haven't tested a new one in 4 years is beyond me) review of the BG's, Will Brown said that:

If you're skiing CO, this makes me think that the Jeff's might be a better choice. Anyone think Will's logic holds up?
    If you can find the front of your boots, the BG is every bit as nimble as the jeff114, probably more so in soft snow.

Quote Originally Posted by helidezio View Post
    I have the x evo Collab in 186 and only have one day on them. I'm an "old school" directional skier who will never ski switch. For reference, I ski a Blizzard Bonafide 180 and love them on groomer days and in the steeps. Did I buy the wrong ski with the on3P? I plan to use them primarily as a powder ski. I don't need a lot of help with float as I learned to ski powder on 203 GS toothpicks. Anyway, would the Wren 112 or BG be a better way to go?
    My quiver consists of the Bonafide 180, wren 112 in 186 and BG in 186. Strictly soft out, Billy Goat, if there's some variable the Wren as it's more versatile.
    I ski 135 degree chutes switch to the road.

Quote Originally Posted by TahoeJ View Post
    My quiver consists of the Bonafide 180, wren 112 in 186 and BG in 186. Strictly soft out, Billy Goat, if there's some variable the Wren as it's more versatile.
    So it sounds like the BG might be the way to go since the Bonafide is also a decent "variable" ski, leaning toward firm... Agree?

Quote Originally Posted by mikdes26 View Post
    So it sounds like the BG might be the way to go since the Bonafide is also a decent "variable" ski, leaning toward firm... Agree?
    I think the BG is a light years better pow/soft snow ski than the wren, so that's my vote. And yeah for a directional skier that drives a ski, i think the jeff114 is the wrong ski. This weekend skied a buddy's custom jeff114s with double carbon (they flex like a wren) for a couple runs and while I liked them a lot better than the standard version, you still have to ski them pretty upright.

I think the BG is a light years better pow/soft snow ski than the wren, so that's my vote. And yeah for a directional skier that drives a ski, i think the jeff114 is the wrong ski. This weekend skied a buddy's custom jeff114s with double carbon (they flex like a wren) for a couple runs and while I liked them a lot better than the standard version, you still have to ski them pretty upright.
    Good info. Might pull the trigger on the 184 BG and put the Jeffs up for sale.

2014/2015 ON3P Skis (Official Thread) - Discussion and Lust

Last edited by mikdes26; 02-02-2016 at 11:47 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by mikdes26 View Post
    Yes.

Quote Originally Posted by jvskinn View Post
    Will it be going on all day? I may not be able to make it to LL until after noon.
    I'll be sending skis out until 2:00.
    You should have been here yesterday!

If you can find the front of your boots, the BG is every bit as nimble as the jeff114, probably more so in soft snow.
    This is true. The ski is also quite a bit different than it was when Blister reviewed it (RES updates, taper updates, tail shape, etc).

UPDATE for Colorado folks:

In addition to the current lineup for 2015/2016 at demos, I will also be letting people out on the following skis:

Wren 98 - 181
    Kartel 98 - 181
    Kartel 108 - 186
    Kartel 116 - 186
    Magnus - 181

More will become available for demo throughout the rest of Winter and Spring.

Quote Originally Posted by mtnjam View Post
    You guys rock!

I saw what you did for the Dear Jack Foundation and for one of their patient's.

That says a lot about your company and the integrity all you guys at ON3P.
    Thanks, great cause and great Organization.

Quote Originally Posted by PowTron View Post
    UPDATE for Colorado folks:

In addition to the current lineup for 2015/2016 at demos, I will also be letting people out on the following skis:

Wren 98 - 181
    Kartel 98 - 181
    Kartel 108 - 186
    Kartel 116 - 186
    Magnus - 181

More will become available for demo throughout the rest of Winter and Spring.
    Awesome. What are the dims on the Magnus?

Quote Originally Posted by murph View Post
    Awesome. What are the dims on the Magnus?
    120/90/116, 18.9m radius @ 181cm

Do you guys have your full demo calendar in place yet? Tahoe? If you came out last year, you've got to come out this year for sure now that it's good again.