Page 33 of 40 FirstFirst ... 28 29 30 31 32 33 34 35 36 37 38 ... LastLast
    Quote Originally Posted by the_flying_v View Post
    Spoke with David in the factory this summer regarding the Steeple. I'll chime in as well.

Personally, this would be a ski for spring skiing where conditions vary greatly i.e. the Cascade volcanoes. I'd want something with lots of sidecut to grip the spicy sections.
    Sidecut equals LESS grip on steeps, you want something straighter.

Quote Originally Posted by adrenalated View Post
    FWIW.

-Slim the Wren 112 down to 108 underfoot. Same lengths, same flex, same camber/rocker. Ideally straighten the ski out just a little (radius ~29m). I'd love to see what that would ski like with metal, too. The Wren 112 is fine as it is, this would just make it a little better as a firm/mixed snow charger, which is how I use it. Any tighter radius, softer, or losing the camber is a deal breaker for me. Honestly don't know if it'd be worth the money for me to replace my 112s, but that would make the perfect Wrenegade for me personally.
    ^ This, except probably 27-28m radius for me.

Where were all you big mountain rocket ship riders when the Wren was an absolute gun? I'm sure there are people out there that pulled the trigger on an 11/12 Wren, and are still too scared to ski it.
    Training for Alpental

Quote Originally Posted by aevergreene View Post
    The jeffrey is awesome you wont regret it.
    This won't be my first foray in to the ON3P jib line. At one point my quiver was

186 J-Mo
    186 2nd gen Jeffery proto's
    191 Caylor (OG Grizzlycorn)

And after what I saw yesterday, I'm sure I will be more than happy.

We are in for some treats next year.
    Training for Alpental

Heads up that I'll probably be listing some 186 kartel 98's in January after some upcoming travel. This year's top sheet.

Great ski just not what I need.

Currently mounted with sth2-13s. On the goddamn line.

If anyone's looking and wants them sooner than late Jan, let me know and we can probably work something out.

So interestingly enough, I googled 2017 ON3P and came across this:
    https://www.newschoolers.com/forum/t...7-ON3P-Steeple

Since I'm too lazy to log in and vote there and I know Scott reads this thread, I'm going to discuss Mr. Steele's post here.

I absolutely do not see the point of RES (a soft snow design) for a lightweight, 92 waisted ski. Traditional sidecut with a long radius, traditional camber with small tip rocker and tail kick. Under 7lb for the pair in 179cm. I'll buy a pair when I destroy my G3 Zenoxides (probably after 1-2 spring seasons).
    Quote Originally Posted by the_flying_v View Post
    Spoke with David in the factory this summer regarding the Steeple. I'll chime in as well.

Personally, this would be a ski for spring skiing where conditions vary greatly i.e. the Cascade volcanoes. I'd want something with lots of sidecut to grip the spicy sections. Way less rocker. I'd always eye the Wren 102 tip profile and think how that would be close to what I'd want if such a ski existed.

Interested to see how this one plays out.
    Well, I tend to agree with Adrenalated on this and what you say about soft snow shapes on narrower skis.
    If ON3P ever makes a mountaineering ski I hope it will be more of a Wren92 than a Steeple92, but with the Steeple/tour lay up, I have a pair of Wren 102, and that exact shape with the flex from my old 191 BG tours would make a great ski. 25-ish sidecut, 184cm. I'll buy one for sure. Scott, make me one and I'll test it for free

Just want to keep adding to this. Yesterday I was finally able to ski the 14/15 Cease and Desists (183) I purchased at the end of last season. Quick description is two thumbs up a barrel of monkeys fun. Read more if you want some specifics. If you are on the fence, just do it, buy some.

When: 12/23/15 - a pretty good early season in CO
    Where: Loveland, Chair 1, Ptarmigan (nee chair 2), 4, 8
    Snow: 4 or so inches of new on top of 10 the day before. Lots of soft. A little snow and wind during the day, but no new significant accumulation.
    What: FUN! On any untracked, or slightly tracked snow they are super fun, duh, they are a huge pow board. The pin tail is pretty sweet, my first time on a ski like this. They made quick work of the wind skin (not crust, but on its way to crust) and any pow. When it got beat down (yeah, that takes about three hours these days at Loveland without more terrain open) they were still super fun and turned quick. Once it turned to crud and just soft bumps they were still fun, but this is not their preferred terrain. The shovels got pushed around a bit and you had to put a lot more energy into them.

I did a few laps on chair one later in the morning to see how they compared to the Jeffrey 114s (which came out later). They are totally servicable on steeper (yeah, chair 1 at Loveland isn't super steep, but it isn't flat either) soft snow terrain. But, this is not what they are intended for.

These are a super sweet totally fun, can't go wrong pow ski that will get you deep into the day until they become not quite the right ski for the job. If you ski somewhere less crowded than the Front Range or it snows all day, they will be awesome all day.

I then went to the car and switched out for the Jeffrey 114s. (186). For cut up snow and anything soft, these are so much fun. Point and shoot, go through anything. If you are looking for a daily type ski on softer snow (they are ok on groomers, but at 114 underfoot, they aren't intended for that), get these, you won't regret it.

Super stoked on my two ON3P skis and will for sure buy more. Good work to the whole ON3P team.

Quote Originally Posted by PhiberAwptik View Post
    Where were all you big mountain rocket ship riders when the Wren was an absolute gun? I'm sure there are people out there that pulled the trigger on an 11/12 Wren, and are still too scared to ski it.
    What would be considered a big mountain gun now? Im a big dude and I need to finish my quiver up with an absolute rocket ship. Something that demands power and speed, and if you get backseat you will die immediately.

FWIW.
    I owned the 190cm Seekers. Good ski, especially considering the price you can buy them for right now.

HOWEVER. The speed limit is the same as the 186 Wren, but the Seeker is more work to ski. So more effort with no more reward. The shape is also not as refined, the ski not as well finished, and not as durable.
    In other words, you want the 191 Wren.

Since this thread has turned into a bit of an ON3P wishlist, I'll give the skis that I'd personally like to see, with absolutely no regard for what might sell at retail. Just what I personally want to ski.

-Slim the Wren 112 down to 108 underfoot. Same lengths, same flex, same camber/rocker. Ideally straighten the ski out just a little (radius ~29m). I'd love to see what that would ski like with metal, too. The Wren 112 is fine as it is, this would just make it a little better as a firm/mixed snow charger, which is how I use it. Any tighter radius, softer, or losing the camber is a deal breaker for me. Honestly don't know if it'd be worth the money for me to replace my 112s, but that would make the perfect Wrenegade for me personally.

-a Praxis Protest fighter. That ski is seriously impressive. So playful and fun, but very stable. It has just the right amount of sidecut and camber for its purpose. The C&D kinda competes, and is a great ski, but it's just a little to charge oriented and heavy, plus the 193 length is just a bit too long, for where I ski on pow days (CO trees), particularly since this class of ski typically gets backcountry/sidecountry/slackcountry use around here. The BG handles 90% of my inbounds pow days. Honestly at this point my next ski purchase will likely be 187 Protests in the UL layup with tech bindings.

-not really ON3P's thing, but a real mountaineering ski. 177-180ish length, low to mid 90s underfoot, 25m+ radius, a bit of tip rocker and taper, kick tail, and camber underfoot. And LIGHT. I am fine with thinner bases/edges than typical ON3P construction, and also a blended core rather than 100% bamboo for this purpose. Not really a ski that ON3P will ever (or probably should ever) make, but it's a ski I want that doesn't really exist right now so I'm listing it anyway. (Yes there's plenty of really light 90-95mm skis with the right camber/rocker profile, but long radius is damn near impossible to find.)
    The only problem is that a new custom veneer 191 will run almost triple the cost of a 190 seeker on sale. I
    could go non veneer and spend less but I want the beefiest ski possible.

When you say harder to ski, you mean the seeker doesnt turn as easy? or that its hooky and unrefined feeling all mtn and really only for AK powder? I dont mind a heat seeking straight liner, but i dont want some unrefined plank that cant turn when needed. At 6'3 200 lbs I find the 191 Billy goats a breeze to ski. I need something much beefier.

So I know I'm the guy pushing for a narrower billy goat, but add me to the list of those who thinks a RES shape for a nearly 90mm ski probably doesn't make much sense. Something in the Wren mold seems a lot more useful.

The only problem is that a new custom veneer 191 will run almost triple the cost of a 190 seeker on sale. I
    could go non veneer and spend less but I want the beefiest ski possible.

When you say harder to ski, you mean the seeker doesnt turn as easy? or that its hooky and unrefined feeling all mtn and really only for AK powder? I dont mind a heat seeking straight liner, but i dont want some unrefined plank that cant turn when needed. At 6'3 200 lbs I find the 191 Billy goats a breeze to ski. I need something much beefier.
    Harder to ski = requires more effort. It's stiffer underfoot and has a ton of camber. Unrefined = tip is much softer than the rest of the ski and tends to deflect (hence the worse stability). Tail is perfectly flat and doesn't want to smear when needed (detuning the last 6" of the ski with a file helped).

A standard 191 wren is much more ski than a 191 Billy goat. I doubt you'd feel the need for the veneer.

12/13 Icelantic Seeker 190cm
    138-112-123, 32m radius
    This ski seems to have flown under the radar a bit, but it's a real big-boy ski. Nothing like anything else that Icelantic has ever built. The Rossi RC112 was the inspiration for this ski. It is stiff, straight, and burly. 40cm of tip rocker, medium/stiff flex in the rockered section, flat tail, and very stiff through the rest of the ski. Think RC112/LP/BSquad/etc. stiff. It charges.
    I skied these less than 10 days. They are too manly for me. I can ski them, but at 140lbs, they are too much work for them to be much fun for me.
    Whyd Ice have to ruin it with the soft tip...

3 pm Edit: skied billy goats again today. Figured them out better on groomers, now i can really get them to hook up. Not that it matters, they see groomers less than 10% of the time, but they were very fun when in the correct posture. I cant explain the body position you need to be in, as its different from anything else ive skied, but it works and feels much closer to the bibby/governor now that im used to it.
    Last edited by aevergreene; 12-25-2015 at 03:55 PM.

Now that we're back on the ski wishlist, I would love ON3P to build a version of the Salomon Rocker2 108 in a 190 length, which makes them 111 underfoot. The current shape is so fun and so easy to ski; it's the perfect storm day or small accumulation day ski. It just needs ON3P's burly build quality and a tiny bit more stiffness.

Quote Originally Posted by Bobcat Sig View Post
    Now that we're back on the ski wishlist, I would love ON3P to build a version of the Salomon Rocker2 108 in a 190 length, which makes them 111 underfoot. The current shape is so fun and so easy to ski; it's the perfect storm day or small accumulation day ski. It just needs ON3P's burly build quality and a tiny bit more stiffness.
    Thats exactly how I would describe the 186 jeffrey 114.. its so much fun and so easy to ski. Forgiving and great in deep pow or on firm, and everywhere in between. makes quick work of bumps and trees. it has the backbone youre looking for. IMO 190 rocker2 108 and 186 jeff are apples n apples

Sig, at of curiosity have you tried the 190 QLab...? I have never been a Sollie ski fan (love their boots), but this ski is the shit...

Thats exactly how I would describe the 186 jeffrey 114.. its so much fun and so easy to ski. Forgiving and great in deep pow or on firm, and everywhere in between. makes quick work of bumps and trees. it has the backbone youre looking for. IMO 190 rocker2 108 and 186 jeff are apples n apples
    Too jibby and too wide. The rocker 2 has mellow rocker, albeit lots of rocker length. It's a pretty niche ski, I'll say.

Quote Originally Posted by Undertow View Post
    Sig, at of curiosity have you tried the 190 QLab...? I have never been a Sollie ski fan (love their boots), but this ski is the shit...
    I haven't. The rocker 2 was my first Salomon ski since my racing days in the 90s.

Too jibby and too wide. The rocker 2 has mellow rocker, albeit lots of rocker length. It's a pretty niche ski, I'll say.
    I agree the jeffrey is extremely jibby. Like a k2 or line, but better. Is the rocker2 108, in the 190, not super jibby? I still think the jeffreys are very capable all mtn. Moreso than the gunsmoke maybe.

skied billy goats again today. Figured them out better on groomers, now i can really get them to hook up. Not that it matters, they see groomers less than 10% of the time, but they were very fun when in the correct posture. I cant explain the body position you need to be in, as its different from anything else ive skied
    I don't know what body position you're using, but I think they carve just fine with a normal, driving stance. They don't respond to lazy ankle-steering like the Bibby and Jeffrey, though.
    "Alpine rock and steep, deep powder are what I seek, and I will always find solace there." - Bean Bowers

photos

I feel like they can be lazily skied, atleast at 200lbs... They can do whatever, thats why i like them. I dont feel they want to be driven like the viciks, or like my old katanas did.

Holy shit, the BGs are so much fun in sierra cement. Everyone else is complaining, im having a blast..
    The BGs are amazing in anything soft or choppy. It's been good out there. Really good. Been out on the 11/12 BG 191s for the last 7 days. (they were the year that RES was only on the 191s, think it's that one). They are fan-fucking-tastic as we know in light powder, heavy powder, heavy chop, light chop, etc. Not, maybe, the best on groomers (As in, why bother), but not gonna suffer.

Whenever I'm not riding these, I forget how much I like the pop. For a narrower ski that busts crud, plays a bit like these, pops off stuff with aplomb, and is a bit of fun on (at least soft) groomers, what do I get?
    Best I've found that I recall is the Atomic ritual. But, whenever I ride my BGs, i just want to end up with more on3p in the quiver. Hated the 181 j-mos I rode a while ago, but that's cause I'm 230 lbs and not very fat. I ski reasonably confident, reasonably fast, tend to lay down bigger turns rather than shorter tight turns. I'm definitely not the fastest or the best, but don't turn too much and leave the ground often (though not huge, 5-10 foot drops, similar sized hops). Are the jeffrey's stiff/heavy enough in longer sizes? Do I get a wren? Am I looking for a mediocre-day ski that on3p doesn't really do?

EDIT: Also, what's different with the newer BG?

Quote Originally Posted by theetruscan View Post
    The BGs are amazing in anything soft or choppy. It's been good out there. Really good. Been out on the 11/12 BG 191s for the last 7 days. (they were the year that RES was only on the 191s, think it's that one). They are fan-fucking-tastic as we know in light powder, heavy powder, heavy chop, light chop, etc. Not, maybe, the best on groomers (As in, why bother), but not gonna suffer.

Whenever I'm not riding these, I forget how much I like the pop. For a narrower ski that busts crud, plays a bit like these, pops off stuff with aplomb, and is a bit of fun on (at least soft) groomers, what do I get?
    Best I've found that I recall is the Atomic ritual. But, whenever I ride my BGs, i just want to end up with more on3p in the quiver. Hated the 181 j-mos I rode a while ago, but that's cause I'm 230 lbs and not very fat. I ski reasonably confident, reasonably fast, tend to lay down bigger turns rather than shorter tight turns. I'm definitely not the fastest or the best, but don't turn too much and leave the ground often (though not huge, 5-10 foot drops, similar sized hops). Are the jeffrey's stiff/heavy enough in longer sizes? Do I get a wren? Am I looking for a mediocre-day ski that on3p doesn't really do?

EDIT: Also, what's different with the newer BG?
    FWIW I'm similar dimensions, and absolutely LOVED the 186 J-mo. I stick with ON3P's 186 when I can. I even downsized from the 191 BG to the 186, and felt the ski lost nothing in terms of it's stability at high speed, in variable snow.

The newer BG from what you have has a different tip profile, and a little less length, and splay in the tail I believe.
    Training for Alpental

I think the 186 jeffrey 114 is very stable for what it is, a jib ski..

I ski very hard, im a big dude, and even with the soft tail, the 186 jeffrey has never really washed out on me. I have to try extremely hard to over power them.

I saw you twice from Chair 4 and was wondering who was on those...new jacket?

Quote Originally Posted by telechuck View Post
    Just want to keep adding to this. Yesterday I was finally able to ski the 14/15 Cease and Desists (183) I purchased at the end of last season. Quick description is two thumbs up a barrel of monkeys fun. Read more if you want some specifics. If you are on the fence, just do it, buy some.

When: 12/23/15 - a pretty good early season in CO
    Where: Loveland, Chair 1, Ptarmigan (nee chair 2), 4, 8
    Snow: 4 or so inches of new on top of 10 the day before. Lots of soft. A little snow and wind during the day, but no new significant accumulation.
    What: FUN! On any untracked, or slightly tracked snow they are super fun, duh, they are a huge pow board. The pin tail is pretty sweet, my first time on a ski like this. They made quick work of the wind skin (not crust, but on its way to crust) and any pow. When it got beat down (yeah, that takes about three hours these days at Loveland without more terrain open) they were still super fun and turned quick. Once it turned to crud and just soft bumps they were still fun, but this is not their preferred terrain. The shovels got pushed around a bit and you had to put a lot more energy into them.

I did a few laps on chair one later in the morning to see how they compared to the Jeffrey 114s (which came out later). They are totally servicable on steeper (yeah, chair 1 at Loveland isn't super steep, but it isn't flat either) soft snow terrain. But, this is not what they are intended for.

These are a super sweet totally fun, can't go wrong pow ski that will get you deep into the day until they become not quite the right ski for the job. If you ski somewhere less crowded than the Front Range or it snows all day, they will be awesome all day.

I then went to the car and switched out for the Jeffrey 114s. (186). For cut up snow and anything soft, these are so much fun. Point and shoot, go through anything. If you are looking for a daily type ski on softer snow (they are ok on groomers, but at 114 underfoot, they aren't intended for that), get these, you won't regret it.

Super stoked on my two ON3P skis and will for sure buy more. Good work to the whole ON3P team.
    You should have been here yesterday!

YEP

Silverton was just slightly fun yesterday...fucking DEEP and the ski selection through the day didn't disappoint

193 CD, 186 Tour BG Veneer, 186 Jeffrey 122, 191 Billygoat, 186 BG Pillowfight Topsheet, 184 Billygoat (left to right)

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	quiversilverton.jpg 
Views:	342 
Size:	589.7 KB 
ID:	174059
    You should have been here yesterday!

For those wanting an ON3P made mid 90's touring ski: http://nextadventure.net/on3p-tychoo...FQMJaQodIm8NDQ

Never skied them myself, but it sounds like what some here were describing.