Page 23 of 40 FirstFirst ... 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 ... LastLast
    Just noticed there's an ON3P demo day at Smuggs this weekend (3/7), and I have two lift ticket vouchers I need to use there....sweet!!

Thanks to ON3P for coming out to the East Coast, I've been on the fence about which Wren to buy and whether or not I need some 102 Steeples, stoked to be able to try some of the skis!

I have 3 days on the 184 Steeple 102s. I'm not sure what changes were made, but I'm happy with them. They ski hard conditions much better than my 191 BGs. They don't exactly rail a carve on hardpack, but they do carve if you are careful. They can handle delicate turns on boilerplate, which my BGs do not enjoy.

That said, they excel at soft snow conditions. I bought mine for winter powder and spring volcano corn/slush skiing. If you plan to intentionally seek out hard snow, I'd look for another ski.
    EEC, Thanks for this. Did you wander into the bumps with them?

thx

Quote Originally Posted by ricky64 View Post
    EEC, Thanks for this. Did you wander into the bumps with them?

thx
    Yep -- they were fun, fast, & easy to turn for 102mm underfoot.

Ended up taking one run on the 176 and one on the 186 wren 102 on Saturday, would have done more but the lift lines were brutal.

Awesome ski, the two first words that came to mind were smooth and intuitive. At 5'11 175#, the 176 is a little smaller than id prefer but it never felt like I was overpowering the ski. Through tight trees with less than ideal snow they were extremely easy to ski and confidence inspiring. Then I got on the 186, holy shit were they fun. Again smooth and intuitive was all I could think, some skis I take awhile to adjust to, some I never adjust to and some just immediately click, this was the latter. When I ducked into the trees at the bottom, the 186 felt just a little too long for me in the tight stuff, so next fall ill be getting some 181s.

Hey guys, I'm hoping for some tips on what to demo for the upcoming demo day in Loveland.

I'm 5'5" and 155lb.

I currently use the 2012 Line Sir Francis Bacon in 178cm - 108mm waist - center mounted - and there are a few things that I wish could be improved

- a tad more float in the pow
    - better at punching through crud like Sierra Cement
    - I ski in CO, UT, and CA

Sierra cement and Sierra "powder" especially, work me pretty good on the Bacons. My Bacons are also the only skis that I have so I'm looking for the one ski quiver.

I was thinking about either the Jeffrey 114 in 186cm or the Billy Goat in 186cm. I'm leaning more towards the Jeffrey because I kinda like having a bi-directional center mounted ski. I've never had too much trouble charging fast hardpack on my center mounted Bacons (they do get squirrelly at super high speed sometimes but that might be due to something else other than the geometry?). But I also like the sound of the stability offered by the Goats.

So... is the Goat way more stable than the Jeffrey? Is the Goat awful at switch?

Jeffrey 114 sounds pretty good for you. I think the RES on the BG would make it very strange switch. Regardless, the BG is not a switch ski. At your size the 186 BG might work ya pretty hard too.

Got out on some ON3Ps at the Bridger Bowl demo day a few weeks ago and wanted to toss out some quick reviews.

First off, thanks to ON3P for the demo day! I had no idea it was happening until I saw the tent at the bottom of Sunnyside that morning.

The day's conditions were firm, some icy spots, some loose chalk/dust on top. Hadn't snow in a week but it had been cold so things weren't super bumped out.

184 Billy Goat - First ski of the day. I've come across a few comments about the RES being a little weird on firm snow, but I had no issues. Skis did well making quicker turns off piste, and handled chunky runouts with ease. Railed groomers, but could easily break free. More versatile than I was expecting, and easy enough to ski that I would consider stepping up to the 189.

186 Wrenegade 102 - This ski was ideally matched to the conditions. I didn't want to give them back. Quick and snappy in bumps, no speed limit on groomed. After my first run on them, I threw caution to the wind and shredded as hard as I could. These skis made my Cochises feel like driving a minivan.

186 Jeffrey 114 - Fun ski that had me seeking out fun lines and features to pop off of, which isn't how I normally ski. Stable, but not wrenegade stable. Lots of rocker made them perform well off piste. Billy Goats are much more my style, but I was by no means sad on this ski.

Overall, the skis had an excellent combination of liveliness and stability, which is the whole point of the bamboo cores, right?
    We heard you in our twilight caves, one hundred fathom deep below, for notes of joy can pierce the waves, that drown each sound of war and woe.

Quote Originally Posted by fuzzybabybunny View Post
    Hey guys, I'm hoping for some tips on what to demo for the upcoming demo day in Loveland.

I'm 5'5" and 155lb.

I currently use the 2012 Line Sir Francis Bacon in 178cm - 108mm waist - center mounted - and there are a few things that I wish could be improved

Sierra cement and Sierra "powder" especially, work me pretty good on the Bacons. My Bacons are also the only skis that I have so I'm looking for the one ski quiver.

I was thinking about either the Jeffrey 114 in 186cm or the Billy Goat in 186cm. I'm leaning more towards the Jeffrey because I kinda like having a bi-directional center mounted ski. I've never had too much trouble charging fast hardpack on my center mounted Bacons (they do get squirrelly at super high speed sometimes but that might be due to something else other than the geometry?). But I also like the sound of the stability offered by the Goats.

So... is the Goat way more stable than the Jeffrey? Is the Goat awful at switch?
    181 or 186 Jeffrey 114 for sure. Both sizes will ski longer than 178 Bacons. You should try other stuff just for fun/comparison, but what you described you want is the very definition of a Jeffrey 114.

If for some reason you decide you want more playful than the Jeffrey, try a Kartel 106.

They just discounted all their remaining 14/15 skis on line... 186 Wren 102s are already sold out (fuck me)...!

I'm 5'5" and 155lb.

I'm your size and I think the jeffrey is the way to go! But I'd go 181, I think both BG and Jeffrey 186 will be a lot of ski for our size. I ski the 176 BG, I've wished it was longer a few times but 186 would be a lot, I'm looking forward to skiing the 179 though!

Think the jeffrey 181 will be nice and checks all boxes for you! and the bg is awfull switch, I don't even think about that, it's a ski that likes to go forward and fast pointing down!

Quote Originally Posted by mfa81 View Post
    I'm your size and I think the jeffrey is the way to go! But I'd go 181, I think both BG and Jeffrey 186 will be a lot of ski for our size. I ski the 176 BG, I've wished it was longer a few times but 186 would be a lot, I'm looking forward to skiing the 179 though!

Think the jeffrey 181 will be nice and checks all boxes for you! and the bg is awfull switch, I don't even think about that, it's a ski that likes to go forward and fast pointing down!
    Agree that the 181 Jeffrey is the way to go (it measures more like most ski company's 184's).

I'd also note that the Jeffrey is not a truly symmetrical ski, and I'd think twice before center mounting them. I believe the recommended mount is -4 from center, and at the recommended line it's definitely a great "playful charger" ski. If you want more playful I think I'd probably mount at -2 from center.

Either way, great ski, can't say enough nice things about the Jeffrey.

Quote Originally Posted by mfa81 View Post
    Ha, I've never even thought of trying to ride my BG's switch. A pintail design and riding switch don't exactly go hand in hand. +1 on the Jeffrey's.

Quote Originally Posted by Undertow View Post
    They just discounted all their remaining 14/15 skis on line... 186 Wren 102s are already sold out (fuck me)...!
    I might have a line on one more pair right now, so if we get it back I can let you know.

Also you guys can use the code "lesstalkingmoreskiing" to get free shipping in the lower 48. That was the discount code from the Powder Magazine Buyer's Guide.
    Seriously, this can’t turn into yet another ON3P thread....

I'm 5'5" and 155lb.

The 186cm Jeffrey would be pretty big on you. We measure post pressing length, not prepressing flat length, so our 186cm would be like a Line 189cm.

I would go with the Jeffrey 114 over the BG if you want something a bit more center mounted. The BG wants to be driven and isn't fond of switch skiing.

Size wise, even the 176cm Jeffrey 114 is going to be more stable and float better than what you are on, so I would try both the 176cm and 181cm and figure out which better suits you.

Hope that helps. Thanks!

The old first gen BG's are needing replacement...

I want the new BG's but looking at my current quiver I have a lot of over lap in the 115 under foot category, and frankly I need a narrower ski that will be better suited to a variety of conditions. The 102 Steeple is on the radar... I am not much of a resort skier and given that my powder quiver is almost as full as it needs to be I am after a nimble ski that will be able to tackle tight trees, shit alpine snow and spring conditions.

How have the Steeple's behaved?
    I don't work and I don't save, desperate women pay my way.

Scott, are you going to be at Bogus this weekend for the demo that Sam posted about? Upper or Lower lodge?
    Either way, thanks for making that happen and what kind of beverages do you all like?
    Are the 102 Wrens making an appearance there? I know my Viciks are always in attendance up there.

Quote Originally Posted by mtnjam View Post
    Scott, are you going to be at Bogus this weekend for the demo that Sam posted about? Upper or Lower lodge?
    Either way, thanks for making that happen and what kind of beverages do you all like?
    Are the 102 Wrens making an appearance there? I know my Viciks are always in attendance up there.
    I talked to scott this week about that, I actually suggested him to try brundage, bogus is awful right now and will close Tomorrow for the season, I really don't think there are any place to put these skis to work given the current conditions, I really appreciate them willing to come but we are pretty much done right now!

Thanks for the free shipping Scott! Demo'd the Kartel 106s in Alta and in PA. They crushed all conditions and terrain. Been waiting for the spring sale to jump on a pair. Hopefully they'll get here before I head up to Stowe next weekend.

Quote Originally Posted by Moose Pit View Post
    The old first gen BG's are needing replacement...

I want the new BG's but looking at my current quiver I have a lot of over lap in the 115 under foot category, and frankly I need a narrower ski that will be better suited to a variety of conditions. The 102 Steeple is on the radar... I am not much of a resort skier and given that my powder quiver is almost as full as it needs to be I am after a nimble ski that will be able to tackle tight trees, shit alpine snow and spring conditions.

How have the Steeple's behaved?
    Well, you are on OG BGs, so the RES design is very different. That said, the feel of the bamboo will remain, so if you like the smooth feel, but want something skinnier, lighter, and easier to ski, the ST 102 would be a good option for you. In bounds, you won't have as much stability, but in anything soft I believe they are plenty stable enough. The RES is going to allow them to float better than the 102 width suggestions and the RES/pintail make trees pretty easy, IMO at least. So it could be a good fit. Only consideration is how much really hard snow you will be on. If you expect a lot of hard snow, probably better options out there.

So we are doing Bogus, not Brundage this weekend. Not sure where they are going to put us. Just too late to switch. We just hope the skis don't hit too many rocks and some people actually show up.

Scott, ask them to put you up by the Pioneer Lodge if they can and only take the skis to Superior (Chair 3) where there is potentially the most coverage without rocks. I'll be there...

mfa81 are you the lifty on 6 with the Jeffrey's? I think I asked you that already once a while back...

2014/2015 ON3P Skis (Official Thread) - Discussion and Lust

After about 7 days this season on a pair of 184cm ON3P Steeple 102 wood veneer skis, I'm finding them to be incredibly intuitive and versatile skis. They don't rail groomers accurately like a Stockli or Vicik, but they are obvious and manageable in everything from soft snow to ice at virtually all speeds.

For the past eight seasons I skied a pair of 2005 Stockli Stormrider DP Pro in a 171cm length.
    During Feb-April 2014 in the PNW, my 5'11", approx 175 lb frame tried a few demos before discovering ON3P skis.
    I began the 14/15 season with a 176 Tychoon Tour, 186 Vicik, 184 Steeple 102 wood veneer, and a 185 High Society Powchickawowwow (early rise version, not full rocker). I've got about 20 days on this quiver and wouldn't likely give any of them up right now due to how limited the snow conditions in the PNW have been this season, but if I had to choose one favorite pair it would be the 184 ON3P Steeple 102 wood veneer. The Steeple 102 moves effortlessly through anything soft at any speed, gives adequate float, and would be my choice from this quiver for technically difficult steep terrain, as well as anything soft likely under 14" deep fresh (...guessing and dreaming on this number this season in the PNW).

I would favor the 186 Vicik as my second favorite ski from this quiver, especially when I'm feeling strong enough to charge harder than the Steeple intuitively wants to. The Vicik hardpack stability is great, and the Vicik allows me to traverse while escalating in elevation (The Tychoon Tour is good at this as well, but not as good). The 186 Vicik feels a bit long for me at times, but other times it's length is perfect and confidence inspiring. I would like to try the 15/16 Wrenegade 102 in a 181cm length to see if it might be a better fit for me throughout the ski day than the now discontinued Vicik.

The 176 Tychoon Tour is easy to ski, nice and light for touring and is great for early/late season conditions as well as narrow areas. This is also the ski I have chosen when I want to slow down a bit at the resort when conditions are firm. This ski is accurate, but more hooky on refrozen crust than the Steeple 102.

The Powchickawowwow is a fun ski, but at 122mm under foot has only seen action this season when I wanted to slow down on Revelstoke high speed groomers compared to the very capable Vicik for such conditions. The Powchickawowwow was a good fit when I wanted something firmer and more playful than the 176 Tychoon Tour in resort conditions. Other than that, the Powchickawowwow is a bit more work on my hips and knees to ski in firm conditions compared to the 100mm'ish waisted skis it has been up against for the harder and thinner skiing conditions this quiver has seen thus far in the 14/15 PNW season (optimist please relax it's only March...)

Not having any quiver options between 106mm-122mm underfoot leaves quite the comparison gap (which is a range I am relatively unfamiliar with, except for one day last season demoing the Steeple 102, Steeple 112, Billy Goat 186 (116), and Jeffrey 114). I bought the wood veneer Steeple 102 pair after said demo day and don't regret it. The 186 Billy Goat was more ski than I felt I needed for everyday use, but I would likely prefer the Billy Goat in full on powder conditions or with no people around in wide open soft terrain. I liked the Billy Goat a bit more than I liked the Steeple 112, simply because at their similar waist widths I preferred the power of the Billy Goat.
    Last edited by gepmeow; 04-19-2015 at 11:38 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by iggyskier View Post
    So we are doing Bogus, not Brundage this weekend. Not sure where they are going to put us. Just too late to switch. We just hope the skis don't hit too many rocks and some people actually show up.
    guess there will be people, Bogus is closing this Saturday (not Tomorrow like I said) they have a party going on so people will be there!

Scott, ask them to put you up by the Pioneer Lodge if they can and only take the skis to Superior (Chair 3) where there is potentially the most coverage without rocks. I'll be there...

mfa81 are you the lifty on 6 with the Jeffrey's? I think I asked you that already once a while back...
    good idea, but not sure if people will be going there, everything is closed and I believe only the cat track on top of chair 2 to chair 3 is open, I think there is no way to go from the lodge back to chair 3 and to go back from chair 3 you need to go all the way around back to the frontside, at least that's what they have shared. doesn't make much sense to open that lodge, but they say will be open

no, last time I was there the lifty had a jeronimo and was asking me about my BG, he told me he was after a Kartel! Now he has a jeffrey :-)

Quote Originally Posted by iggyskier View Post
    I might have a line on one more pair right now, so if we get it back I can let you know.
    If you come across another pair of 186 Wren 102's I'd be interested as well!

Update on my Kartel 98s... Went to Loveland for the demo day. My wife liked the Kartel 98s so much she wants to buy a pair of the 171s. I hope everyone gets a good laugh out of that!

Wish the demo day would have been saturday, would have stopped by to try some BGs out in the better snow.

On that note though, I'd like to say again how impressed I am with the versatility of my Jeronimos. Have handled everything I've thrown at them, and Saturday was a good example. Conditions at ABasin were pretty good, everything was soft and the backside had some good snow left from Friday. The bowls were pretty chopped up, and I would have preferred my GPOs, but the JMOs still did awesome in it. Didn't get thrown around much despite the 176 length (for park, which I don't do much of anymore. 181 or 186 would make me like this ski anymore, but the 176 does well enough that I won't bother selling). The ski, at least in this length, likes to be driven from the ball of the foot though. Can't exactly drive the tips in chop like that, but I'd assume in a longer length the issue would be abated. Can also make any turn shape. Super quick in trees and bumps. Rails a groomer pretty good, hit 65-70 mph a couple times on the one really steep run on the backside. No issues at all. On top of that the durability is insane, after 2 full seasons there have been multiple times I was sure I ripped a chunk of base out, and I'm left scratching my head afterwards when there's nothing there besides a shallow scratch. If that