Updating older frame, need knowledge

Still updating my brain on what's out there now vs when I was more into the sport a decade ago... Can someone more knowledgeable let me know if I can swap my '03 Superlight's drivetrain out to something modern? I was wanting to try out a Shimano 1x10... Eventual goal is to update as much on this bike as possible to modern day stuff, then buy a new frame and swap everything over. Is this doable, or is modern bottom bracket and rear hub spacing/geometry different now?

I've updated my bars, stem and tires; brakes are next. Wondering if I should start buying drive train parts as well. Holding off on wheels as I have no idea what frame I'll end up with with different axles.

Thanks for any help!

Ted
    Kansas - First Of The Rectangle States

almost all new bikes have 142x12 rear hub spacing. i am sure your bike has 135xQR, so rear wheel for your old bike wont work for a new bike. same with the fork, whatever your 10 year old bike has, its probably not 15mm, so a wheel that will work with your old for wont work with a new fork.

BB--some new frames still have old threaded BBs so it might work, otherwise you will need a press fit BB. most modern cranks are designed for both.

Note that upgrading all the parts on an old frame, then buying a new frame is about the most expensive way to get a new bike. You will get much more value for the money you spend if you just buy an all new bike.

also your old frame probably has a straight steerer tube and a new frame will have a tapered one, so your new tapered fork for your new frame wont work in your old frame.

also if you buy a new rear shock for your old frame, it probably will be the wrong size for a new frame.

Thanks for the help.

Bike is a '03 Santa Cruz Superlight. I wasn't going to update the suspension on either end, mainly looking at drive train right now.

Will the older freehub bodies take a 10 speed cassette?

I know it's more expensive in the long run, but it's easier with a wife that doesn't like expensive hobbies. A $100 here and there causes much fewer ripples than a $3500 buy once cry once scenario.

Quote Originally Posted by Theodore View Post
    Thanks for the help.

Bike is a '03 Santa Cruz Superlight. I wasn't going to update the suspension on either end, mainly looking at drive train right now.

Will the older freehub bodies take a 10 speed cassette?

I know it's more expensive in the long run, but it's easier with a wife that doesn't like expensive hobbies. A $100 here and there causes much fewer ripples than a $3500 buy once cry once scenario.
    Freehub bodies are compatible between 8, 9, and 10 speed cassettes. Once you get into 11 speed, things get trickier. Derailleurs and shifters should be easily compatible with your old frame (there are lots of front derailleur types these days, but it sounds like you won't be using one). Like DDJ said, some newer bikes use different BB mounts, but threaded BB's like on your superlight are still used and are easy to come by. If you're going 1x10, you'll probably want a chain guide of some sort, and many of those mount at the BB (which should be fairly easy with your BB type). Pretty sure the '03 superlights had the same kind of brake mounts as newer bikes.

Thanks! Might try a poor man's single set up with my current crankset to see what size chainring is best for the massive mountains around here.

If you're OK with trying a poor man's setup, just get one of the 36t steel ebay cogs, stack it on your cassette, get ride of one mid-low cog, and perhaps adjust your b-tension screw so that your derailleur clears the new cog. You may get by running a 32t ring up front, but I went with a 28t mounted in the granny position. No, chainline is not optimal, but it's working well enough for me. And yeah, you're gonna want a top-mounted chainguide of some sort, if not a full-on chainguide.

Quote Originally Posted by Theodore View Post
    Thanks! Might try a poor man's single set up with my current crankset to see what size chainring is best for the massive mountains around here.

For a Shimano 10x with a 11x36 cassette, would I need a long cage derailleur or would a medium cage work ok with a single front chain ring?

*edit* Disregard, just found the 'T' capacity of derailleurs...

medium will work with a single up front no problem.
    Quote Originally Posted by hortence View Post
    When I did twice the work for half the control, I was a whiny little bitch