Dynafit Nanga Parbat and Cho Oyo

I havent found many reviews of these skis and the skishops i have spoken with, havent given a convincing speech.

What iam looking for is a LW ski for harder snow and late season slush conditions.
    Is the Cho Oyo to wide and to much of a multicondition ski?
    Nanga Prabat to short and more of a competition ski?

Anyone tried these?

Somone recommended me the Broad Peaks instead, saying they are heavier and more stable on hard snow.
    176 Broad Peak are 100 grams heavier than the Nanga Parbat, i guess it cant be the weight. Anyone have thoughts on this?

Guess I type too slow..
    thanks for the links dauwhe

By comaprison the Broad Peak is a bad suggestion imo. Been skiing th Cho since last spring. The Nanga more recently this winter. BP for a few years previous.

cho here:

https://www.google.com/#q=cold+thistle+Cho+Oyu

nanga here:

https://www.google.com/#q=cold+thistle+nanga+parbat

All three will work well for what you have described. Big fan of both new skis but would likely go Nanga for what you have described. They are red and a few grams lighter. Good as the BP was either new skis is a much better choice for weight and how they ski any condition than the Broad Peak. Time and technology moves on.

IMO the Broad Peaks are more damp. So if you are skiing hardpack more often than slush, broadpeak. Opposite, Nanga Parbat.

Carbon verse wood. Of course the BP is more damp, it is wood and heavier. The 7 Summit even more so.

Cho and Nanga will both carve water ice like a hockey skate just as the other two will. Just more noise involved and less weight on your feet. Both new skis are more versatil imo everywhere because of the added width/length, pin tail and tiny bit of tip rocker.

So much more going on with the new skis than the traditional Broad Peak construction profile I don't even put them in the same class. And the BP was my favorite BC/skimo ski. No longer even in the running. First impressions weren't all that stellar. But a few days on the new skis and I was convert.
    Last edited by Dane1; 02-18-2014 at 05:29 PM.

Is the rocker on the Cho noticeable? Do you have a profile pic of the rocker you can put up?

Is the rocker on the Cho noticeable?
    Yes both visually and skiing it. Both Cho and Nanga ski short. Both have a similar amount of rocker. Mind you the pictures is a 174 Cho...

For a short/lwt ski and compared to a Broad Peak as an example it is a LOT of rocker imo. Straight pull tip to where the skis meet is 38cm on a 174cm Cho. Short Nanga and 184 Cho are similar by size in comparison.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	P1120030.jpg 
Views:	247 
Size:	1.30 MB 
ID:	150935

Can Dane or someone explain how having rocker is useful or better in spring conditions skiing? If there were ever conditions for a non-rockered cambered ski such as the Broad Peak or Sportiva RST, isn't that it?

Thanks Dane

Quote Originally Posted by dschane View Post
    Can Dane or someone explain how having rocker is useful or better in spring conditions skiing? If there were ever conditions for a non-rockered cambered ski such as the Broad Peak or Sportiva RST, isn't that it?
    I too used to think that.
    But then I got the Hagan Cirrus for this past spring and summer -- wow!
    I've also been very impressed with the new Hagan X-Race rockered race ski -- haven't written up the review yet, but essentially same as with the Cirrus, i.e., vastly expanding its snow conditions comfort range far beyond what you would expect from its waist width (and weight).
    Mo' skimo here: NE Rando Race Series

Hi
    Thank you all for the feedback.
    I allready saw and read the Wildsnow and Coldthistle (Dane1?) review, i just figured that there would be alot more "Buzz" about
    these skis if they were such a big leap Dynafit and others describe the Nagna Parbat as the Cho`s little brother and cheaper
    (as 100eu would ever matter in this range), that and the lack of constructive answers from the local skishops sett me abit off.

It looks like the Nanga Parbat is what i`am looking for, but if its hard to find, the Cho won`t be a bad option either

Quote Originally Posted by Wintersmith View Post
    i just figured that there would be alot more "Buzz" about
    these skis if they were such a big leap
    Problem i think is they are expensive, hard to find, (but on sale and available now @ skimo Co).
    http://skimo.co/dynafit-nanga-parbat-skis

And most of us are pretty conservative with skinny skis. Not a huge market for 80 and 90mm skis these days by comparison to what is out there. Jonathan as always covered it better than I for the benefits of rocker. It isn't intuitive but it works exceptionally well.

And all the new age/wave stuff like pin tail, 5 point designs and rocker, plus extra light weight and most are even more conservative. Took skiing them to make me a real believer.

I knew they would be easy to carry. But way more impressed at how well both ski.

When you get yours be sure to write a review some where and link/post it. I'd be interested in what you think on the "leap".

Worth considering...of all the skis Lou @ WS and I can ski on, Lou took a Cho (general every day touring) to Europe this year and I am taking a Nanga over shortly for a week long hut trip. Two of my partners with much more skiing experience than I will be on Chos for the same trip.
    Last edited by Dane1; 02-21-2014 at 12:37 PM.

Dane, or anyone else... have you skied the Trab Magico and compared it to the Cho Oyo?

Dane (and jonathan?) you want to chime how the present lightweight skis ski on hadpack?

Like, the classical euro summer suncrust/neve?

Tried 3-4 years ago a pair of trabs/dynas and they were (for me) pretty horrible on steeper sunmelted boilerplate. The softish flex & side cut made them somewhat un-nerving on steeps as when then get weighted more, then tend to "carve" a bit uphill throwing you a bit back seat.

Still skiing my old legend pro 97mm but the new skis are looking tempting. And obviously seeing what
    otherworldy steeps people are skiing with them, the skis are obviously good.
    Around here you cant demo anything and taking a 1000€ blind shot, oh well..

Just curious.

The floggings will continue until morale improves.

I've skied the Cho and Nanga on some very hard/icy conditions, Spring, Summer, Winter. I suspect you would be pleased with the performance. I am. Less side cut, same ski designs coming from Dynafit next year. But I am happy wih these compared to a 7Summit or BPeak.

"have you skied the Trab Magico and compared it to the Cho Oyo? "

I have not but Lou has. You can see what he took to Europe last trip. So many good skiis available now getting hard to find a bad one. Magico seems to get rave reviews by those that have used it. Better compared (skinnier) to the Nanga though than the Cho IMO.

171cm skis:
    115/81/103 1,000g Magico (published-unverified by me)
    116/80/104 1050g Nanga Parbat (on my scale)

174cm
    125/89/111 1085g Cho Oyu (on my scale)

http://www.wildsnow.com/10258/ski-trab-magico/
    Last edited by Dane1; 02-25-2014 at 11:12 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by Dane1 View Post
    125/89/111 1085g Cho Oyu (on my scale)
    That sounds pretty light. The three 174 Cho's I've weighed were 1114, 1147, and 1198 grams per ski (and 88mm in the waist).

The 4 pair of Cho I had here varied as much as 50 g per pair. The weight I quoted is for my personal pair on 174s. "Your 1198g ski sound a little heavy to me". Which is a really dumb ass observation imo. Might well be my Nangas are heavy and my Chos light for size by comparison with only 35g difference. But that is what my personal skis weigh on my scale. 3 skis that varied 84g? Never saw that kind of variation between the ski here let alone pairs in the 8 skis, 4 pair I have weighted. 84g is a lot of leeway +/-. Gawd damit, that is almost 3 fooking full oz!

sizes? I ski both... easy to get the numbers wrong.

[174] 125 / 88 / 111 mm
    [182] 125 / 89 / 111 mm

Probably all this weight speculation is dumb ass, Dane - they are what they are, and ski great. The 1198 ski was a demo from a season ago and probably not a final production version. The 1114 and 1147 g. skis are my personal "pair" before drilling. Adding in your 1085 ski makes for a huge variation.

"The 1114 and 1147 g. skis are my personal "pair" before drilling."

33g between ski for a pair? Sounds about right. I have seen less and as much as 50g and finally stopped measureing or caring.

My quoted weight is new, just out of the wrapper.

"they are what they are, and ski great." Agreed. Thought there would be a bigger difference between Cho and Nanga since they added 3cm in length and only 35g. That one I checked and rechecked not really believing it. Not that it matters both will ski better than I do. And can't complain about how easy they are to carry.

These are very, very expensive skis. The supercheap elan alaska pro skis imho as well for less than half the price

no doubt Elan makes some good skis.

from the Euro Alpin Magazine review:
    Elan – Alaska Pro
    " (+) very light
    (-) compromised in downhill performance
    The Alaska Pro from Elan has one overriding quality: it’s light! That you have to make compromises with downhill performance should be obvious for anyone who buys such a sk. Difficult to find "

109/79/99 @ 170cm, 1140g / ±40g (unverified)

better compared to the Nanga

Haven't skied the Elan. But haven't found the Cho or Nanga a compromise on any snow condition. Granted they aren't cheap.

Quote Originally Posted by Dane1 View Post
    no doubt Elan makes some good skis.

from the Euro Alpin Magazine review:
    Elan – Alaska Pro
    " (+) very light
    (-) compromised in downhill performance
    The Alaska Pro from Elan has one overriding quality: it’s light! That you have to make compromises with downhill performance should be obvious for anyone who buys such a sk. Difficult to find "

109/79/99 @ 170cm, 1140g / ±40g (unverified)

better compared to the Nanga

Haven't skied the Elan. But haven't found the Cho or Nanga a compromise on any snow condition. Granted they aren't cheap.
    I have read those reviews on the lou site. Disagreed on their opinions on all the sks I've persoally tested. The alaska pro sks like a seven summit despite being lighter and being sold for some 250€ in italy...