Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3
    I have no aliases, just jealous followers.

rog

Quote Originally Posted by icelanticskier View Post
    just jealous followers.
    No doubt due to the CRV?
    Quote Originally Posted by Downbound Train View Post
    And there will come a day when our ancestors look back...........

For quite a few years now, I've messed around with the "one setup to do it all" problem, mostly because I didn't want to haul two pairs of boots along while travelling, and on almost all the trips that I do, I end up doing some mechanized stuff and some touring.

For quite a few years, this ended up being Dukes and alpine boots (Tecnica Icon race boots most of the time). Did a lot of big hikes with those and learned to more or less live with it, but as more alpine oriented AT boots became available, I decided to make a serious effort to go over to AT boots full time, using tech bindings on some skis and Dukes on others. After more than two full seasons of trying this, starting with BD Factors then Cochise 130's I got to the point where I thought that I was doing OK, but I had the feeling that my skiing ability was deteriorating. I figured that this was probably just age catching up with me, then this winter I went back to my old alpine boots in the early season. I was shocked at how good they felt.

It turns out that, at least for me and my preferred skiing style, good old alpine race boots allow me to ski (downhill) much better. As such, for me it isn't really a question of bindings as it is with boots. I doubt anyone is ever going to make what amounts to a plug boot with a tech-sole, which kind of rules out the B16, and Dukes and their like are never going to be competitive on the up with any tech binding.
    "I just want to thank everyone who made this day necessary." -Yogi Berra

Quote Originally Posted by PNWbrit View Post
    No doubt due to the CRV?
    Hondas rool all others.

rog

Quote Originally Posted by wcf3 View Post
    For quite a few years now, I've messed around with the "one setup to do it all" problem, mostly because I didn't want to haul two pairs of boots along while travelling, and on almost all the trips that I do, I end up doing some mechanized stuff and some touring.

For quite a few years, this ended up being Dukes and alpine boots (Tecnica Icon race boots most of the time). Did a lot of big hikes with those and learned to more or less live with it, but as more alpine oriented AT boots became available, I decided to make a serious effort to go over to AT boots full time, using tech bindings on some skis and Dukes on others. After more than two full seasons of trying this, starting with BD Factors then Cochise 130's I got to the point where I thought that I was doing OK, but I had the feeling that my skiing ability was deteriorating. I figured that this was probably just age catching up with me, then this winter I went back to my old alpine boots in the early season. I was shocked at how good they felt.

It turns out that, at least for me and my preferred skiing style, good old alpine race boots allow me to ski (downhill) much better. As such, for me it isn't really a question of bindings as it is with boots. I doubt anyone is ever going to make what amounts to a plug boot with a tech-sole, which kind of rules out the B16, and Dukes and their like are never going to be competitive on the up with any tech binding.
    I used to tour in lange comp 120 lv with fritschi free ride plus. Never an issue on the up or down. The langes kick steps in steep hard snow way better than any AT boot due to their weight and hard plastic din sole. And ski better as well. Sure the binding was flexy but the boot made up for it. Plus if yer mostly skiing soft snow, who gives a fuck about a bit of flex?

My current boot is a bit softer but my binders are much less flexy. 6's really. I'd rawk langes (rs 130) for tour/lifts in a heartbeat once my current boots die.

rog

Please, tell us more about the gear from last century. I saw those boots once -

In an antique shop

BTW, your current brain is a lot softer as well
    Climb the mountains and get their good tidings. Natures peace will flow into you as sunshine flows into trees. The winds will blow their own freshness into you, and the storms their energy, while cares will drop away from you like the leaves of Autumn. - John Muir

"How long can it last? For fuck sake this isn't heroin -
    suck it up princess" - XXX on getting off mj

“This is infinity here,” he said. “It could be infinity. We don’t really don’t know. But it could be. It has to be something — but it could be infinity, right?” - Trump, on the vastness of space, man

Quote Originally Posted by NoPostholio View Post
    Please, tell us more about the gear from last century. I saw those boots once -

In an antique shop

BTW, your current brain is a lot softer as well
    Speaking of jealous followers........

rog

Quote Originally Posted by PNWbrit View Post
    No doubt due to the CRV?
    Constant Rambling Vitriol?
    Climb the mountains and get their good tidings. Natures peace will flow into you as sunshine flows into trees. The winds will blow their own freshness into you, and the storms their energy, while cares will drop away from you like the leaves of Autumn. - John Muir

"How long can it last? For fuck sake this isn't heroin -
    suck it up princess" - XXX on getting off mj

“This is infinity here,” he said. “It could be infinity. We don’t really don’t know. But it could be. It has to be something — but it could be infinity, right?” - Trump, on the vastness of space, man

Quote Originally Posted by NoPostholio View Post
    Or wait for the marker tour thread that will most certainly go viral
    Keep hearing about this but can't find anything online, got any spy shots to "leak"?

There isn't. Case closed.

Quote Originally Posted by wcf3 View Post
    This has been my experience, as well.
    "In the end, these things matter most: how well did you love? How fully did you live? How deeply did you let go?" - Buddha

"Come back alive, come back as friends, get to the top-in that order." -Mark Twight

^^^ CAST to the mf'in rescue. Its rediculous how much I like this system.

Quote Originally Posted by Lindahl View Post
    ^^^ CAST to the mf'in rescue. Its rediculous how much I like this system.
    how much time on the system?

rog

A couple days.

A couple days.
    swapping easy/smooth?

rog

Quote Originally Posted by abraham View Post
    So the answer is to the original question is still no. It's not there yet.

Obviously. To the OP, what has happened that would lead you to believe it would be a one-for-all kind of binding??? Literally nothing functionally has changed outside of the Vipec and Beast, and even those are incremental improvements and not game changers by any stretch. The only thing that's changing is public perception of what low tech is for. I've seen several huuuuuge gapers in the past year or two that could barely get out of a pizza wedge on DPS 112s and dynafits. At the resort. On groomers. Fiddling. And fiddling. And fiddling. And fiddling. It just cracks me up, because he would be better served by some PX12s but he wanted to be cool and so is actively shooting himself in the foot all day now just because. I mean, I wish I worked for commission at his local shop, that much I can say- but as for putting people on shit that will actually work for them... Total fail.
    "If you limit your choices only to what seems possible or reasonable, you disconnect yourself from what you truly want, and all that is left is a compromise." -Robert Fritz

Quote Originally Posted by skifishbum View Post
    not enough nun fisters in that community

Hugh Conway Guest
    Quote Originally Posted by DoWork View Post
    Obviously. To the OP, what has happened that would lead you to believe it would be a one-for-all kind of binding??? Literally nothing functionally has changed outside of the Vipec and Beast, and even those are incremental improvements and not game changers by any stretch. The only thing that's changing is public perception of what low tech is for. I've seen several huuuuuge gapers in the past year or two that could barely get out of a pizza wedge on DPS 112s and dynafits. At the resort. On groomers. Fiddling. And fiddling. And fiddling. And fiddling. It just cracks me up, because he would be better served by some PX12s but he wanted to be cool and so is actively shooting himself in the foot all day now just because. I mean, I wish I worked for commission at his local shop, that much I can say- but as for putting people on shit that will actually work for them... Total fail.
    $20 says gaper reads TGR.

true posers like me get one of each and simply flail till a system falls into place. finished last season on a dynafit/dps set but began this one on a fritschi/praxis pairing. i guess it's easier for me to fiddle in the spring and clamp during winter.
    b

Quote Originally Posted by icelanticskier View Post
    swapping easy/smooth?
    Yeah, swapping was pretty easy. We had perfect conditions for icing up and it was easily cleared with the tab at the end of the Dynafit toe lever (perfect size - almost like the track was designed with that in mind). Overall, the transition is a tad slower than Dukes, maybe 60-90 seconds? Astronomically better than Dukes when going uphill, of course. Big win. My fitness sucks right now from injuries, but I was whooping everyone but the full Dynafit dudes who are in better shape. Not only was I faster, but I was very noticably less fatigued. I could see myself getting more dialed in my transitions as I spend more time using CAST. When iced up, I could see the time difference drop down to around 30 seconds longer. FWIW, I tend to be faster and more efficient on transitions than my partners, and my Duke transitions are pretty dialed, so there's a definite bias going on.

A longer toe plate for the Dynafit toes would be ideal, as it would likely eliminate the icing issue completely. Silicone spray might do the trick too - haven't bothered yet. A slightly longer rubber band for the brakes would be nice, too. I have STHs, so my guess is that the rubber bands were designed for less bulky heelpieces. I'm guessing this will get easier as the rubber gets worn in. There's probably 10-15 seconds lost there.

The couple tours I've done have had many different pitches, from stupid steep to long mellow rises and having one riser height wasn't a problem at all, and it was really easy to use - definitely easier than Markers.

I plan on writing a more comprehensive review once I've been able to get more days on it. Unfortunately, things have been getting warm, so the zones where I use CAST (or Dukes) haven't really been that desirable. I've been doing a lot more long distance mellow touring at higher elevations with my lighter full Dynafit setup.
    Last edited by Lindahl; 02-24-2014 at 12:57 PM.

I guess my take on this is:

Do I ever want to ski inbounds in a boot that tours well? No, not really.
    Do I ever want to tour in a race boot? No, not really....

Therefore, two sets of boots and bindings for me. Thank goodness for swap plates.
    "In the end, these things matter most: how well did you love? How fully did you live? How deeply did you let go?" - Buddha

"Come back alive, come back as friends, get to the top-in that order." -Mark Twight

Quote Originally Posted by Hugh Conway View Post
    $20 says gaper reads TGR.

Could be. Epic too though. He looked to be more accountant than dentist.
    "If you limit your choices only to what seems possible or reasonable, you disconnect yourself from what you truly want, and all that is left is a compromise." -Robert Fritz

Quote Originally Posted by skifishbum View Post
    not enough nun fisters in that community

Yeah, swapping was pretty easy. We had perfect conditions for icing up and it was easily cleared with the tab at the end of the Dynafit toe lever (perfect size - almost like the track was designed with that in mind). Overall, the transition is a tad slower than Dukes, maybe 60-90 seconds? Astronomically better than Dukes when going uphill, of course. Big win. My fitness sucks right now from injuries, but I was whooping everyone but the full Dynafit dudes who are in better shape. Not only was I faster, but I was very noticably less fatigued. I could see myself getting more dialed in my transitions as I spend more time using CAST. When iced up, I could see the time difference drop down to around 30 seconds longer. FWIW, I tend to be faster and more efficient on transitions than my partners, and my Duke transitions are pretty dialed, so there's a definite bias going on.

A longer toe plate for the Dynafit toes would be ideal, as it would likely eliminate the icing issue completely. Silicone spray might do the trick too - haven't bothered yet. A slightly longer rubber band for the brakes would be nice, too. I have STHs, so my guess is that the rubber bands were designed for less bulky heelpieces. I'm guessing this will get easier as the rubber gets worn in. There's probably 10-15 seconds lost there.

The couple tours I've done have had many different pitches, from stupid steep to long mellow rises and having one riser height wasn't a problem at all, and it was really easy to use - definitely easier than Markers.

I plan on writing a more comprehensive review once I've been able to get more days on it. Unfortunately, things have been getting warm, so the zones where I use CAST (or Dukes) haven't really been that desirable. I've been doing a lot more long distance mellow touring at higher elevations with my lighter full Dynafit setup.
    good deal

rog