Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast

The do it all Tech binding...is it here yet ?

With all the latest offerings getting some play the question still remains: is there truly a do it all every day tech binding that will perform under aggressive inbounds and back country conditions ?

B16 would seem to be the front runner rite now.

Sent from my Huawei-U8665 using TGR Forums
    watch out for snakes

CAST system.

Quote Originally Posted by wstdeep View Post
    With all the latest offerings getting some play the question still remains: is there truly a do it all every day tech binding that will perform under aggressive inbounds and back country conditions ?
    really depends on how solid a skier you are. 99% of people skiing Dynafits or other pintech on-area are NOT Eric Hjorliefson with his impeccable centeredness and bomber skiing technique. Hoji isn't the best test-case for Dynafit under aggressive inbounds skiing unless you're Hoji yourself

OP's question begs the definition of "aggressive." I weigh 250 lbs. and have done hundreds of inbounds days on TLT Speeds, Verticals and Comforts, though I'm not a hucker. I avoid using tech bindings on firm days.

B16 does not have a flat touring mode and therefore does not do it all.

Cast system

A touring binding that requires swapping binding fixtures each time you transition from tour mode to ski mode and vice versa does not do it all.

Some of you mags have an odd definition of "touring."

My goal is to be able to put my tech soles on my Cochise boots and keep them on. I hesitate to run full on tech setups on my inbounds skis for fear of premature release. The CAST setup doesn't address my issue and putting SP Lords on my inbounds skis with the tech soles on has been met with unclear answers as to how reliable they would release (not that I'm a fan of release in general) but sometimes a guy needs a little release. It doesn't sound like we are quite there yet unless I am missing something.

Quote Originally Posted by Big Steve View Post
    A touring binding that requires swapping binding fixtures each time you transition from tour mode to ski mode and vice versa does not do it all.

Some of you mags have an odd definition of "touring."
    It's ok, we can lap up all the pow on our tech bindings, while they curse every transition.

Nope, not yet.

Quote Originally Posted by wstdeep View Post
    putting SP Lords on my inbounds skis with the tech soles on has been met with unclear answers as to how reliable they would release
    1. Mount bindings on 2x4 for Cochise bsl.
    2. Take boot, binding, and 2x4 to local shop. Bring beer. See if they release according to DIN spec.

Also: I'm struggling to think of a situation where you really need only one setup.
    "Alpine rock and steep, deep powder are what I seek, and I will always find solace there." - Bean Bowers

photos

Yeah, pretty damn easy. Plus, Marshal mentioned he tested Cochises in Salomon Drivers and got good release characteristics (hidden in the Blister review). I think the Lord with the sliding AFD would be fine.

I don't see the big deal with a little extra transition time. We're talking, what, an extra minute at MOST per lap? What are you guys doing, rando racing or something? I'd be much more worried about the loss of efficiency from the boot and skis you'd want to use in a really aggressive setup. The answer is always a quiver, of course. TLT6 and Dynafit Speeds, paired with a burlier boot (Cochise) and CAST for when its time to ski stupid fast and send shit big. If you don't send shit big or ski stupid fast, then just use Dynafits and a midling boot. They work just fine for skiing fast in powder and playing on pillows and smaller airs.

Agree with auvgeek. Why limit yourself to one setup, if you're an aggro skier?

Hugh Conway Guest
    Because if you are travelling, or spending time around, more than one setup's a pain to drag? because you want to dial in "one"? it's totally not the techtalk way, but it's a valid approach

No, it doesn't exist, yet. pre-release inbounds is mostly bullshit overhyped on TGR but if "aggressive" includes non-touring inbounds terrain (railing groomers, moguls, etc) something will break and the lack of dampening will suck

Quote Originally Posted by creaky fossil View Post
    really depends on how solid a skier you are. 99% of people skiing Dynafits or other pintech on-area are NOT Eric Hjorliefson with his impeccable centeredness and bomber skiing technique. Hoji isn't the best test-case for Dynafit under aggressive inbounds skiing unless you're Hoji yourself
    Eric H is also about the size and weight of a 'my size barbie' doll.
    Quote Originally Posted by twodogs View Post
    Hey Phill, why don't you post your tax returns, here on TGR, asshole. And your birth certificate.

No.
    Also I dont think there will be a binding that really fulfills your needs based on the current pin system (mainly because of the heel pins). You can see at the beast they needed to add something at the rear. Check out the Trab binding that has a whole new rear system. I know 2 big companies that work on a complete new system, I dont think they work together though, and that could be it. Now its just making the best based on the original pin binding, that doesnt work if you want it all.

Quote Originally Posted by Big Steve View Post

B16 does not have a flat touring mode and therefore does not do it all.
    That is why I stated its the front runner rite now.

Sounds like the little bro B14 will not have flat tour mode either. Sigh.
    watch out for snakes

Quote Originally Posted by Lindahl View Post
    What are you guys doing, rando racing or something?
    Nah. We're touring

Quote Originally Posted by Hugh Conway View Post
    Because if you are travelling, or spending time around, more than one setup's a pain to drag? because you want to dial in "one"? it's totally not the techtalk way, but it's a valid approach
    I definitely hear you on that, but I've found it's more trouble than it's worth. I think the cost of a Beast 16 or CAST system makes one ultimate setup not much cheaper (if any) than a separate inbounds and touring setups. Dialing in the same ski with an alpine binder and tech binder on plates/inserts and two boots makes more sense to me, but that's mainly because I haven't yet found a touring boot that I would want to ski inbounds.
    "Alpine rock and steep, deep powder are what I seek, and I will always find solace there." - Bean Bowers

photos

Also: I'm struggling to think of a situation where you really need only one setup.
    Sidecountry. It's all the rage, you know.

Hugh Conway Guest
    Quote Originally Posted by greasyslope View Post
    Sidecountry. It's all the rage, you know.
    what about frontcountry or slackcountry?

eesh, it's just fucking skiing. put shit on feet, go.

Love the new CAST system, was touring on it today, but it in no way replaces a dynafit setup. Definitely takes more than an extra minute on the changeover, I had some icing issues today (I sprayed them with silicon spray last night) so I took a bit of time making sure everything was clear before sliding the plates in. between that and the rubber bands, I'd say it takes at least another 6-7 minutes over dynafits, which doesn't sound like alot but when you do 3 or 4 laps in a day, it adds up, especially standing around on a cold, windy ridge handling cold metal parts.
    Also, with the pivot 18 heels on them, they're considerably heavier. yeah, you don't lift that weight, blah blah. trust me, it's noticeable.
    Not trashing the CAST system at all, I absolutely loved being on my pivots today, charging pillow lines that I wouldn't have been as confident on with my dynafits, and they are infinitely better than guardians/dukes in every respect.
    I'm just trying to say that everything has it's place, nothing will replace my dynafits and light skis.

Quote Originally Posted by auvgeek View Post
    1. Mount bindings on 2x4 for Cochise bsl.
    2. Take boot, binding, and 2x4 to local shop. Bring beer. See if they release according to DIN spec.

I'm actually planning to do exactly this with my cast/p18 (as soon as they show up) and my somewhat shaved cochise tech soles. I will also take a pair of STH16 down there and get them to do some comparisons for me. If I have to return the p18 CAST in favor of the STH, I will to get the cochise sole blocks to work with the CAST.
    wait!!!! waitwaitwaitwaitwaitwaitwaitwait...Wait!
    Zoolander wasn't a documentary?

Quote Originally Posted by SupreChicken View Post
    I'm actually planning to do exactly this with my cast/p18 (as soon as they show up) and my somewhat shaved cochise tech soles. I will also take a pair of STH16 down there and get them to do some comparisons for me. If I have to return the p18 CAST in favor of the STH, I will to get the cochise sole blocks to work with the CAST.
    if you have troubles getting this to work, I'm pretty happy so far with CAST/MarkerLord w/ Vulcans. Sliding AFD and no shaving soles required. should work the same with your cochise.

Trab actually looked rad but the whole boot standard thing is a killer.

Right now, B16 is your do everything tech binder of choice. No question.

Yes, its pricey and its not a P18 killer but for most skiers it'll work fine. My biggest complaint is I still haven't found a boot that comes close to replacing my true alpine boot...

So if you have that figured out, have the cash and aren't slogging huge approaches go for it.