Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

quality vs quantity of snow?

would you rather ski 2,000 ft of 40cm deep snow or 20,000ft of 4cm deep snow?

Quality for me. Big reason I don't ski inbounds anymore

at this point in my season, any amount of vertical with any depth of snow

any other normal season, i'd take the pow. dust on crust is my nemesis.

I suppose that depends on what's under the 4cm.

Quote Originally Posted by jeffro83 View Post
    at this point in my season, any amount of vertical with any depth of snow

any other normal season, i'd take the pow. dust on crust is my nemesis.
    This. Terrible year so far.

But normally, quality over quantity.

With a group of good friends, my opinion might change somewhat.
    Quote Originally Posted by Ernest_Hemingway View Post
    I realize there is not much hope for a bullfighting forum. I understand that most of you would prefer to discuss the ingredients of jacket fabrics than the ingredients of a brave man. I know nothing of the former. But the latter is made of courage, and skill, and grace in the presence of the possibility of death. If someone could make a jacket of those three things it would no doubt be the most popular and prized item in all of your closets.

Quality always

8 inches of cowboy pow vs 12 inches of glop? Hmmm, sometimes I dont mind high water content snow, its a nice change up as long as you have the right skis.

^this.

There's a point where more snow is just better, but 6" of hero snow is more fun than 2 feet of cascade concrete. Depending on the terrain of course.

How the fuck is anyone supposed to see my change for a nickel stickers under 40cm of snow???!!!
    Quote Originally Posted by ilovetoskiatalta View Post
    Dude its losers like you that give ski bums a bad rap.

Quote Originally Posted by bendtheski View Post
    How the fuck is anyone supposed to see my change for a nickel stickers under 40cm of snow???!!!
    Your supposed to put them on your goggs. Theres little holes you can see thru.

My beer philosophy is quality over quantity. I wish the same for my snow but in practice this is not always possible. I still ski anyway.

"Quantity has a quality all its own." Stalin
    watch out for snakes

Depends on the terrain. 20,000 of steep couloirs sounds pretty good even with 4 cm new. 20,000 of groomers, not so much.

In general, quality over quantity. Which is why many of us will hike for a line at a resort in the time that other people do a few laps from the same lift.

This is why I kind of laugh at people talking about how much "vert" they've compiled (screams gaper to me).

+1 on the beer analogy.

The first post doesn't set up a quality vs quantity question for me. But 4 cm doesn't sound like much, so I'd choose the 40.
    "fuck off you asshat gaper shit for brains fucktard wanker." - Jesus Christ
    "She was tossing her bean salad with the vigor of a Drunken Pop princess so I walked out of the corner and said.... "need a hand?"" - Odin
    "everybody's got their hooks into you, fuck em....forge on motherfuckers, drag all those bitches across the goal line with you." - (not so) ill-advised strategy

Quality every time, almost.

Some times it feels good to knock off a 40,000 ft day.

You can ski 4cm virtually every day, even if it hasn't snowed for a while. I'll take the 40, and THEN the 4. "And, not or"

Alps>alta

To also not directly answer your question: I'll take cold and shallow continental snow vs coastal 40cm then cement the next day.

I dont have a say in the matter as I take when I can get. Here on the island we get some pretty massive dumps and a massive snow pack, 9m at the end of the season isnt unherd of. But our snow tents to be wet and heavy. so when we get a 50+cm dump a short tour can be a pretty hard slog.

yes........

10,000ft of 20cm

Hugh Conway Guest
    whom am I sharing it with?

This has been the first season where I haven't looked at a weather report once.

I go skiing. I ski what presents itself. I repeat.

To be honest, Ive probably skied better quality snow, and I've skied more quantity in seasons past, but FKNA its been liberating to not give a shit and just enjoy the day. Been my most enjoyable year in easily 10+ years of riding.

That being said the 4" days (4cm is bullshit) seem to be the sweet spot in good conditions to lack of people.
    Live Free or Die

I'll take 8 inches of buffed cream cheese over that over the head blower shit any day of the week! I love cement!

Quote Originally Posted by AdironRider View Post
    This has been the first season where I haven't looked at a weather report once.

I go skiing. I ski what presents itself. I repeat.

To be honest, Ive probably skied better quality snow, and I've skied more quantity in seasons past, but FKNA its been liberating to not give a shit and just enjoy the day. Been my most enjoyable year in easily 10+ years of riding.

That being said the 4" days (4cm is bullshit) seem to be the sweet spot in good conditions to lack of people.
    Amen. Its easy to write a day off for way too many reasons, but its nice to be able to just enjoy being on the mountain regardless.

Can I take 10 laps of the 40cm?