Page 1 of 5 1 2 3 4 5 LastLast

Independence Pass 2.15.14

Sounds bad
    Quote Originally Posted by blurred
    skiing is hiking all day so that you can ski on shitty gear for 5 minutes.

CAIC Prelim: http://avalanche.state.co.us/caic/ac...=526&accfm=rep

Hoping for the best. Sounds like all but two are accounted for.

Not good at all. Lots of movement the last few days.

That sucks. I know they aren't releasing names yet, but anyone know where the party was from? Aspen, or somewhere else?
    __________________________________________________ __________________________________________________ ________________
    "We don't need predator control, we need whiner control. Anyone who complains that "the gummint oughta do sumpin" about the wolves and coyotes should be darted, caged, and released in a more suitable habitat for them, like the middle of Manhattan." - Spats

"I'm constantly doing things I can't do. Thats how I get to do them." - Pablo Picasso

Cisco and his wife are fragile idiots who breed morons.

Friend posted on FB she knows them, she lives in T-Ride.

East side of the pass, one mile up from the La Plata parking area = right in the middle of the Star Mountain chutes.

I have been there in the spring after a small amount of new snow fell on the spring isothermal snowpack, and after a clear and cold night. These are great runs late in the spring.
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Star Mtn chutes.jpg 
Views:	923 
Size:	233.4 KB 
ID:	150709
    Last edited by jwolter7; 02-16-2014 at 11:47 AM.

One of 2 has been recovered
    www.freeridesystems.com
    ski & ride jackets made in colorado
    maggot discount code TGR20
    ok we'll come up with a solution by then makers....

The Lake County Sheriff's office has just confirmed two fatalities in the avalanche which occurred yesterday afternoon at approximately 5:00 pm. At this time, however, no identities are being released of any of the seven people involved in this tragic incident.

What were they doing when the slide occurred? Where they all together?

Quote Originally Posted by spiff361 View Post
    The Lake County Sheriff's office has just confirmed two fatalities in the avalanche which occurred yesterday afternoon at approximately 5:00 pm. At this time, however, no identities are being released of any of the seven people involved in this tragic incident.
    By 5:00 my garage had a 4' sliding overhang of snow from the metal roof. It was the first day this winter I had any snow sliding, and it was 30" thick and heavy. Just saying, perhaps it wasn't the day to be skiing any major chutes. I know, I'm a ass sometimes

Who knows what they were doing. Can we at least wait to monday morning QB until we know what happened?

In my observations, it is extremely common(ei, the norm) for smart, calculating, experienced back country travelers to either not consider or consciously discount the chances of truly massive slides happened, especially remotely triggered. Pretty much the vast majority of people do that. If I had to guess they were all somewhere they thought was a safe zone, either in the runout area at the bottom, or were on a shoulder to the side, but who knows.

Still, maybe if you want to be an ass you can at least wait till you have a full enough picture of what happened so you can then at least do a better job of being a smug condescending prick?
    __________________________________________________ __________________________________________________ ________________
    "We don't need predator control, we need whiner control. Anyone who complains that "the gummint oughta do sumpin" about the wolves and coyotes should be darted, caged, and released in a more suitable habitat for them, like the middle of Manhattan." - Spats

"I'm constantly doing things I can't do. Thats how I get to do them." - Pablo Picasso

What's the fucking point of starting this thread then? Goddamn I'm sick of you people being all high and mighty.

The questions I ask are simply QUESTIONS!!!!!!! Get over yourself and stop reading between the lines.

Are we supposed to have an 'Official' vibes thread now or something before we can ask a question? I though maybe someone would know so that we can 'get the full enough picture of what happend' as you so eloquently put it.

i was referring more to Jethro than you. thought that was obvious.

Bummer. So sad. Thanks jwolter7 for posting the google pic of the mountain's NE aspect.

Star mtn is an excellent ski venue. Classic, in fact. The S & SE aspect has some fine runs too. Traditionally done in spring, it has become more common to do in the winter in the last decade or so.

Sucks to see it join the ever growing list of slopes that have claimed lives.

Quote Originally Posted by Hott Butt Mud View Post
    What's the fucking point of starting this thread then? Goddamn I'm sick of you people being all high and mighty.

The questions I ask are simply QUESTIONS!!!!!!! Get over yourself and stop reading between the lines.

Are we supposed to have an 'Official' vibes thread now or something before we can ask a question? I though maybe someone would know so that we can 'get the full enough picture of what happend' as you so eloquently put it.
    prelim information and photos available here:
    http://avalanche.state.co.us/caic/ac...rep&acc_id=526

will be updated.

Let this be the alarm to the entire region and zones adjacent....conditions across the state are nothing if not getting worse. ++to those who knew them++/

and just because you can ask the questions doesn't mean your cornhole doesn't stink... Keep it real bitches.
    Above the fingers of death sits a delicate winter garden

Loveland east vail star mt. I'm going to bring some Walkie talkies and spread out and use a conservative one at a time rule in exposed terrain at the height of slide activity. That might save one life out of two or four.

Quote Originally Posted by tylaw333 View Post
    Loveland east vail star mt. I'm going to bring some Walkie talkies and spread out and use a conservative one at a time rule in exposed terrain at the height of slide activity. That might save one life out of two or four.
    Loveland?

Some big ass cornices up there.

Leroy, I am not some random dude spouting off on the internet. I live right near the bottom of Independence pass on the Aspen side. I have skied in the BC for 30 years around here. Until I sold my sled two weeks ago I probably, along with two buddies, skied the pass in the winter more than anyone I know. I listened to Avy bombs all day on Aspen Mtn. Everything is sliding here. The CAIC this morning said to "Clean your garage, or call your mom" and to essentially not go skiing in the back country. The forecast is for probable human triggered slides on all aspects, at all elevations.

I am not armchair quarterbacking about a minor route variation, or start time, or other choices made on a tour. I am saying there should have been no game. In my opinion, when it is this touchy out, you are best off staying home. The major error they made was deciding to go skiing yesterday. Again, that is my opinion. You might have another one.

Finally, re-read my first post. There was nothing smug or condescending about it. Just an observation of mine, which all the avalanche forecasters around here would back.

Leroy, whats up with you recently. You get dumped? You seem to get off on berating others in the last few days? First Jamespio when he asked for some beta about Moab, and now me for saying yesterday was a bad day to be touring. Where are you anyway. Utah? What the fuck do you know about conditions here now?

Quote Originally Posted by spiff361 View Post
    prelim information and photos available here:
    http://avalanche.state.co.us/caic/ac...rep&acc_id=526

will be updated.
    Photos of the crown are terrifying and humbling.

Sent from my DROID RAZR using TGR Forum
    The trumpet scatters its awful sound Over the graves of all lands Summoning all before the throne

Death and mankind shall be stunned When Nature arises To give account before the Judge

People do stupid shit and you can't do anything about it. dead people don't read the forums
    seven people got swept away in exposed terrain during the height of slide activity
    There is no right or wrong all that matters is that you choose

vibes. this makes 14 deaths so far this season. last season there were 10 deaths thru march 1st. not good. no reason to stay home in these conditions, just choose yer terrain very wisely.

you can go if you keep it low........

rog