Page 5 of 5 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5
    Quote Originally Posted by Bean View Post
    Far too many people use a non-responsive pit to justify a "go" decision when everything else points to no-go. I'm not seeing it in the report, but I'm pretty sure the rating was at least considerable that day. Considerable danger, on a steep above-treeline NE-aspect slope. After many feet of snow over the prior weeks. During a hudge avalanche cycle.

Every other piece of information was screaming "no-go" but the group either didn't know, or didn't care, about anything other than what was in that pit.
    Excellent point. I have often heard it said that a pit analysis should be used to make you not ski a slope (ie, to red light an otherwise green lighted plan), not used to make you ski a slope (to green light what otherwise would have been red lighted). Obviously, what happened here is the exact opposite.
    "fuck off you asshat gaper shit for brains fucktard wanker." - Jesus Christ
    "She was tossing her bean salad with the vigor of a Drunken Pop princess so I walked out of the corner and said.... "need a hand?"" - Odin
    "everybody's got their hooks into you, fuck em....forge on motherfuckers, drag all those bitches across the goal line with you." - (not so) ill-advised strategy

Quote Originally Posted by Bean View Post
    Every other piece of information was screaming "no-go" but the group either didn't know, or didn't care, about anything other than what was in that pit.
    Sometimes it simply doesnt matter what information is in front of you, and how loudly the evidence is screaming [directly in your face]. The human factor is prevalent and overbearing.. to the point of incident.
    long live the jahrator

Most everything from the CAIC report seemed compliant to normal protocol, but reading this makes me wonder...

Events Leading to the Avalanche

A group of 7 traveled to the La Plata the trail head on Saturday February 15th, 2014. The group departed from Colorado Highway 82 at about 10:30 AM and followed the trail up the South Fork of Lake Creek. They stopped to check the function of their avalanche transceivers and to practice searching with the devices. They continued following the trail and observed several whumpfs.

During a period of heightened danger they triggered several settlements on the way up but a pit made them feel better so they descended an avalanche path exposing all 7 of them at the same time.

Ouch

This whole incident seems a bit baffling. Observed instability, hazardous forecast, exposing everyone at the same time, using a pit to justify a "go" decision, I don't get it. One member of their party had no rescue gear?! Not that it really matters given the choices they made, but really? I'm sorry for their loss but this one really has me scratching my head.

They always seem baffling from a different perspective. Human nature is baffling to humans.

1) the slide went BIG, not just alittle slide, that thing was huge!

2) there is a false sense of security by "skiing in or close to the trees" I justify skiing something I should all the time by sticking to the trees right next to a slide path

3) how often do I turn around when the snow settles under me? 25% of the time maybe if that, the only time I turned around this year was when it "settled" over a foot under me as I entered a known wind loaded area, just because snow settles doesn't mean you should turn around

4) there was alot on the line that day, out of town guests wanted to be able to go home and say they went big in the back country of colorado

5) heard the most f'd up story the other day about the slide in keystone, asked the guy to tell it to me three times because I thought he was full of shit and I didn't hear him right, think twice, choose your friends wisely, and know where you are and what your doing just because you took a class and bought some nice gear doesn't mean shit

Probably known but whumpfing ain't "settling" of the snow, it's the collapse of a weak layer with the air pushed out like a fart. Gassy snowpack means the avy Dragon wants to take a shit on you.
    Last edited by newbreak; 03-06-2014 at 09:42 AM.

I was skinning up a slope with one partner this winter and we heard a very loud and almost echo-ing sound beneath our skiis and saw cracks shoot out left and right of us and run up the gully and into the drainage next to us about 50 to 60 feet away. needless to say we turned around very quickly and cautiously.
    long live the jahrator

Quote Originally Posted by newbreak View Post
    Probably known but whumpfing ain't "settling" of the snow, it's the collapse of a weak layer with the air pushed out like a fart. Gassy snowpack means the avy Dragon wants to take a shit on you.
    A perfect way to end this session
    Above the fingers of death sits a delicate winter garden

Snowscience 101: a collapse of a weak layer is not settling it's a dragon fart. I think it's highly intuitive. I like to call it voodoo. When the little devil on one shoulder says deduction makes it safe and the angel on the other shoulder says I don think so today. Who ya gonna trust? Experience vs science. Roll the dice or discretion? Some times it's best to stop, skin up and get the heck out.

voodoo magic is my all time fave term when it comes to the mysterious world of snow.

rog

I think the forecast for that day said it was a good day to stay home and clean your garage...
    "Why do I always get more kisses on powder days?" -my wife

Quote Originally Posted by cold_smoke View Post
    I think the forecast for that day said it was a good day to stay home and clean your garage...
    Their garages are in Wisconsin. Out-of-towners are often on a different schedule than the snow.
    We're not happy 'til you're not happy.