Dislocated shoulder

I would not reccomend doing this:

anyone have an idea about how long before I should ski?
    Its not that I suck at spelling, its that I just don't care

I separated my shoulder 1-18. Going out for the first time tomorrow. I have a partial labral tear. One doc said season over, let's cut open.. another said pt and easy skiing, groomers only no speed.

What does the MRI look like ?

Sent from my HTC VLE_U using TGR Forums
    Top of the Food Chain for White Trash America

6 months.
    No longer stuck.

Quote Originally Posted by stuckathuntermtn View Post
    Just an uneducated guess.

Might look into an external rotation brace. My PT just mentioned it the other day as a new concept that can really diminish odds of doing it again.
    Something about the wrinkle in your forehead tells me there's a fit about to get thrown
    And I never hear a single word you say when you tell me not to have my fun
    It's the same old shit that I ain't gonna take off anyone.
    and I never had a shortage of people tryin' to warn me about the dangers I pose to myself.

Patterson Hood of the DBT's

Good thing you have a backup for your Valentine's date tonight:

Quote Originally Posted by powder11 View Post
    if you have to resort to taking advice from the nitwits on this forum, then you're doomed.

Good friend of mine separated his shoulder in a big mountain bike crash; rotator cuff and labrum tears. It took awhile to heal after that one.

I wouldn't rush it.
    Quote Originally Posted by powder11 View Post
    if you have to resort to taking advice from the nitwits on this forum, then you're doomed.

I separated my should about 10 years ago. 2 surgeries later and me slacking off on PT and now I have an extremely bad shoulder. Been lifting to build it up recently but it's a joint you don't want to fuck around with. Take your time and let it heal. I'm telling you, when you're in your mid-30s with a bad wing you can't sleep on you'll think back and remember you rushed it. Missing the rest of the winter skiing isn't the end of the world and it is a small price to pay. Don't be an idiot.
    Brought to you by Carl's Jr.

If its a simple dislocation the couple of weeks scenario should work but may be optimistic. Did mine 25 years ago dropping in on a mini ramp after skating a vert ramp. Was expecting a much larger transition and slammed hard on the flat As I recall it took about a month to feel good again. So far I haven't had another problem with the shoulder, hopefully yours will recover fine.

Separation and dislocation are totally different and different recovery. I've dislocated my right shoulder about 10 times and separated it as well (can't remember the degree measure but I've got the bump).

Anyways now when I dislocate I try to keep it somewhat mobile. Total immobilization doesn't help any extra and it just hurts to break the range of motion back in. It's mostly been dislocated kayaking and surfing but once on snow. I've snowboarded two days after a dislocation, just not very aggressive and I keep squeezing something across my chest like a sleeve to keep my arm in. I recommend a motorcross neoprene shoulder brace. I swear by them now.

So I say keep moving the shoulder, passively at first. Later with rehab as much emphasis as they put on the little muscles in your shoulder, I think keeping the big ones strong has been much more helpful.

I had open surgery and it felt great afterwards, but popped back out on a river wave after 7 months so I don't think surgery is worth it.

Really try hard to prevent that second time. But for most people it's always loose from then on. Finally had to give up playboating and park.

If you want more info go read boatertalk. I'll bet 20-30 percent of serious kayakers have dislocated.

yeah it took a pretty serious fall to dislocate it the first time... (fell going mach looney in a GS race)

Feels good after day 1 doc made it seem like the range of motion will be back in a month and to keep it mostly still for a week before starting to move it a lot

and of course now its snowing balls...

I've had mine dislocated many times, and surgically repaired. The best advice I can offer is dont slack off on your PT. And once you are done with PT and feel 100% again, keep building shoulder strength. Your shoulder will likely never be as stable as it used to be, but with healing time and lots of rotator cuff and strength building it will be better than mine was.

On my first dislocation I was in an immobilizer sling for a month, with A good 6 weeks of PT afterwards before even being close to normal. It was a really bad dislocation though... Damn near tore my arm off dirt biking. one of my surgery options was severing the humerus, rotating it so the fucked up part of my shoulder joint was out of the way and then pinning it all back together and re tightening all the muscles and stuff. Fuuuuck that. I got an arthroscopic repair day surgery and everything's been fine since.
    Last edited by wicked_sick; 02-15-2014 at 12:30 AM.
    ::.:..::::.::.:.::..::.

Quote Originally Posted by ak_powder_monkey View Post
    I would not reccomend doing this:

anyone have an idea about how long before I should ski?
    You should have it relocated before you try to ski.
    But seriously--it depends. When you dislocate your shoulder the first time you tear a lot of stuff around it that has to heal to stabilize the shoulder. And a lot depends on your age. With younger people the risk is a shoulder that keeps popping out, until surgery is done. With older patients the risk is poor range of motion. If you're young you may feel ok but if you ski too soon and dislocate it again you might wind up needing surgery to stabilize. If you're older earlier activity will be beneficial in getting back full range of motion. Do what your doctor tells you, not what feels right.

I dislocated mine over the age of 40 one January, my recollection was I didn't ski again that season, but I could be wrong. I did a lot of PT to get back the range of motion and never did get full range, but then the uninjured shoulder didn't have full range either.

Anybody do a cortezone shot or something? 10-16 inches forecast today... ugh

Quote Originally Posted by ak_powder_monkey View Post
    Anybody do a cortezone shot or something? 10-16 inches forecast today... ugh
    won't do you any good. sorry. BTW I see some oil company guy up your way shut down the Anchorage airport trying to take an avy bomb on a plane.

Quote Originally Posted by old goat View Post
    won't do you any good. sorry. BTW I see some oil company guy up your way shut down the Anchorage airport trying to take an avy bomb on a plane.
    yup... that was funny

i jacked my shoulder back in 75. jacked it more climbing. by the time i got to utah in 82 it was loose enough that i quit using poles for 2 years and devised some hanging exercises that have kept it tight since. so if you don't use poles and chicken wing on falls you could be back soon!!

well I'm back to skiing... no poles at the resort and super short poles in the BC. After 2 days of BC skiing though I am sore as heck. Taking it easy skiing slowly, not jumping off things... Not a terrible way to go this season (its been pretty rainy)