Page 7 of 8 FirstFirst ... 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 LastLast

Thread: Blizzard Spur

Bodacious is the exact same ski just in a little narrower width. To me it's a much better resort Pow ski than the Spur, more maneuverable. Has a touch more sidecut but not drastically different.

Quote Originally Posted by wasatchback View Post
    Bodacious is the exact same ski just in a little narrower width. To me it's a much better resort Pow ski than the Spur, more maneuverable. Has a touch more sidecut but not drastically different.
    Even though I haven't skied the new Bodacious yet, I was having the same conversation with my buddy the other day. The Spur yearns for wide open spaces and room to run. New Bodacious would probably be much more versatile.
    In constant pursuit of the perfect slarve...

Quote Originally Posted by Muggydude View Post
    Anyone skied both the Spurs and some Lhasa Fats? Curious how they compare on the slope.

Got to fondle a pair of spurs today and compare to my 186 Fats, Skis are pretty similar. From Underfoot forward their sidecut profiles are almost the same, the Lhasa Tails are straighter than the Spurs, which have more width behind the bindings, and more taper. Rocker profiles are near identical, Lhasa maybe has a little more continuous rocker (though only slightly off from being flat). Spurs flex about the same as my Lhasas, though the Spur tips are stiffer. Lhasa Mount point is further forward, maybe by 1-2cm (taking into account the Spurs extra length).

Or anyone else have comparisons between the Spurs and BGs?
    Wouldn't the Lhasa FAT be better compared to the Bodacious? I own the 191 FATs and I am looking at the 193 Bodacious as a replacement when they die, heaven forbid. Maybe I'm wrong in my thinking though.

I still would like to hear a comparison of the two as well.

Metal vs non metal?
    The old bodacious had three sheets of metal, did they got rid of it wth the new bodacious?
    Spur has no metal, right

Old Bodacious had 2 sheets plus an extra sheet underfoot. New bodacious is literally a spur that's 118 under foot with a slightly shorter radius. Virtually same rocker profile/Taper/construction

I love my Spurs, but I've been reaching for my carbon tip and tail Bonafides on these early season pow days. The Spurs just want large open spaces to run and those get tracked out fast. I'm also enjoying behind down in the pow, old school white room pow skiing, not very modern, but tons of fun.

I don't mind the Spurs in gnarlier/tighter terrAin (Eagles nest/wildcat areas). I'm a bit larger and used to east coast ice/rockerd ski so a flatter ski is great with a little snow
    Decisions Decisions

Old Bodacious had 2 sheets plus an extra sheet underfoot. New bodacious is literally a spur that's 118 under foot with a slightly shorter radius. Virtually same rocker profile/Taper/construction
    The 185 that is, I find the 193 to be a bit more of a ski than the Spur.

Yeah maybe but I think that's just do to length. Flex profile seems pretty similar I think.

and the jump to a 31m turn radius.

As a point of reference I skied the Spurs in the morning and swtiched to my 186 BGs as snow got tracked out and we started to play in the trees. BGs felt like toys in comparison to the Spurs. Was actually a bit surprised how stark the difference was.

Toys as in easy to throw around?

Quote Originally Posted by Muggydude View Post
    Toys as in easy to throw around?
    Yes...the pin tail and twin made them feel way looser than the stiffer, flatter tail on the Spur. RES also made them feel looser and easier to smear. Spurs want to carve pow a bit more. Used to the BGs feeling like a bit "more" ski. Just an odd outcome to that back to back comparison. Really need to get the Spurs out on a bigger mtn to get the most out of them.

I find my 191 BGs not much harder to throw around than my 186 jeffrey 114s. The difference is there, but its slight. The bgs like to get loose fo sho.

Quote Originally Posted by Bandit Man View Post
    Yes...the pin tail and twin made them feel way looser than the stiffer, flatter tail on the Spur. RES also made them feel looser and easier to smear. Spurs want to carve pow a bit more. Used to the BGs feeling like a bit "more" ski. Just an odd outcome to that back to back comparison. Really need to get the Spurs out on a bigger mtn to get the most out of them.
    Same with 193 Bodacious to 189 BG. A deep day at Crystal or Whistler on my Bodacious is mind blowing. Aka a week ago.

Blizzard Spur

I prefer the feeling of my Kusalas (similar to Spurs, but stiffer and 186) over the 191 BG, even in tight terrain. An older more pintailed 186 BG feels different but just as agile in tighter terrain but the Kusalas has more control. The softer pintail on the BG washes out and its easy to fall through the trapdoor when stomping. The Kusala is easier to scrub too, since the soft pintail kinda folds up. Way better in open spaces of course. Spurs are probably better in similar ways. The reverse camber shape makes quick lateral movements really easy to control your route through trees. It feels different than the BG - just as agile but in a different way. Takes me a day or two to adjust. Probably requires a bit more precision from the skier though - need to look a tree or two more ahead, but its super responsive.

This is all in untracked snow though. The BG is a better resort powder ski. The Kusala can feel too wide late in the day at a busy resort. Honestly the 191 BG does too, so I actually prefer something even narrower and shorter. The Kusala does shut down better in tracked snow though - more control as mentioned.

I can see how the 193 Bod would be killer at Crystal or Whistler in big storm cycles, but my Kusalas didn't leave me wanting either.

Blizzard Spur

Anyone have time on a 190 lotus 120 (preferably the older red ones) and the spur?

If so, how do they compare?

People are saying the mount point is traditional-is it anywhere near as far back as the 120?

Surely someone must have skied the two?

First day on the Spurs today.

They are inappropriately large for the conditions we had but still had a good day on them!

They carve groomers exceptionally for their size, nimble and quick through the tree's but get bounced around everywhere through mini moguls that I experienced this afternoon....unless I was skiing at Mach ten!

Cracking skis so far, much prefer them to the 'new shape' bodacious that I had last year. The 189 length is perfect compared to the 185 bodacious. Didn't quite click with the bodacious.

Can't wait to get them in some deep.

Quote Originally Posted by rob stokes View Post
    First day on the Spurs today.

They are inappropriately large for the conditions we had but still had a good day on them!

They carve groomers exceptionally for their size, nimble and quick through the tree's but get bounced around everywhere through mini moguls that I experienced this afternoon....unless I was skiing at Mach ten!

Cracking skis so far, much prefer them to the 'new shape' bodacious that I had last year. The 189 length is perfect compared to the 185 bodacious. Didn't quite click with the bodacious.

Can't wait to get them in some deep.
    Steep and deep brings them alive, I'm more confident on them in steep, deep snow then anything else I've been on. It's mellow terrain I don't trust them. Anything chopped up/bumpy, I need to ski on top of the chopped snow, not around, in order to not get my ass kicked. Which leads to Mach 10 in places it's not appropriate to go Mach 10, either that or really really slow.

Where did you mount them? I had mine on the line, but moved them back to -2. I haven't gotten out on them since I redrilled them, but am hoping to this week.

On da line

Blizzard Spur

I think a big tip de-tune will help with the chop bouncing, it's a massive ski so won't get away from it, but dulling the taper sections should help a bit.

I'm looking for a more slightly more versatile lotus 120, I'm hoping I have found it.

Blizzard Spur

Dude, edge sharpness doesn't mean shit in chop. Sharp as a razor or rounded off, its all the same. Dulling the taper won't do anything. Thats for true firm snow.

Blizzard Spur

Quote Originally Posted by Lindahl View Post
    Dude, edge sharpness doesn't mean shit in chop. Sharp as a razor or rounded off, its all the same. Dulling the taper won't do anything. Thats for true firm snow.
    De tuning tip taper, in my experience, can help reduce the tip catching on the sides of bumps quite as aggressively.

I worry less about tips catching than just the stiffness and size of the ski being unrelenting unless going Mach 2 through the chop.
    Decisions Decisions