Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast

Thread: Coping with MRI

Coping with MRI

Some of you guys must have been through an MRI, right? My wife needs one to diagnose hip issues she is having. But she is also somewhat claustrophobic. She tried to get this done once, but ended up bailing out. They offered her a sedative, but said it would have to be a different day (this scan involved an injected dye, and they said the dye would dissipate by the time the sedative took effect). So, I'm tryign to get her to reschedule, take whatever they want to give her, and go for it. But thought some of you might hvae suggestions for how to deal with it.

(and, no, an "open MRI" is not an option, since the only joint in town that owns one of those, does not do the particular type of imaging that is needed here.)

Good places have headphones available. Make a playlist on a digital device that is calming and have them play that and pipe it through the headphones. Close her eyes, relax and it's done.
    Brought to you by Carl's Jr.

Last time I had an MRI the machine was so fking loud I couldn't hope to drown out the noise with the music I had playing. Maybe MRI machines have changed since then?

MRI's must suck for claustrophobic people, no doubt sedatives are the only way for some.

Have her put a crazy Drum and Bass or dubstep track on there and pretend the machine is part of the song. LOL.

Yeah, they are loud as fuck, but anything to help? I still say a little music is better than anything and close the eyes. I'm fine in them, but I could see how they would suck with others. Frankly, I get more anxious on sedatives so that would probably freak me out more unless it was something heavy like morphine.
    Brought to you by Carl's Jr.

No, they haven't changed, still loud as hell.

Do they ever use nitrous oxide? I use it for the dentist for anything painful or complex, not because I can't deal with the pain, but because of the time compression effects it has for me. Feels like it's two minutes later and the dentist is telling me he's all done. And those two minutes were usually spent thinking about something highly complex like how cool the "color" white is.

Blindfold

Claustrophobia is an issue with MR's. The noise is from the signal change on the magnet and the RF being used in that sequence.

My best suggestion would be to talk to the schedulers and nurses at the scheduled location (IMI?) to see what they can do for sedation. Sometimes concious sedation is necessary (versed and fentanyl) to get a patient through the study, other times Xanax is all that is needed. Sleep deprivation seems to also help. Rarely do they "snow" a patient for an MR. Nitrous is used once and a while for deep surgical sedation to get the patient down, along with a cocktail of other verseds and fentanyl's, then they move onto the aerosol's (isoflurane) for intubated sedation.

A good MRI technologist will be able to manage a patients claustrophobia, usually. Make sure she is comfortable first and use distractions (talking to patient from control room to inform of remainder of time of study, warm blankets, etc.) to get her mind off the bore of the magnet.

Agreed, do not do Open MRI as their resolution is better now, but still limited.

spook Guest
    just tell her when she's dead it's forever

3T systems have the ability to reduce total time in the MRI as compared to 1.5T systems.

Never had one, never stayed at a Holiday Inn, but is drinking an option? I know if it was me a bottle of red beforehand would mellow things out a lot...
    Something about the wrinkle in your forehead tells me there's a fit about to get thrown
    And I never hear a single word you say when you tell me not to have my fun
    It's the same old shit that I ain't gonna take off anyone.
    and I never had a shortage of people tryin' to warn me about the dangers I pose to myself.

Patterson Hood of the DBT's

Work a 12 hr shift, then drive 13 hrs all night before a 9:00 am appointment. I layed down, heard a thump or two and then the tech was waking me up.
    Quote Originally Posted by Smoke
    Cell phones are great in the backcountry. If you're injured, you can use them to play Tetris, which helps pass the time while waiting for cold embrace of Death to envelop you.

The sedatives are a good idea not only for the claustrophobia, but also to reduce risk of having to restart because you twinged at the wrong moment.
    Living vicariously through myself.

Quote Originally Posted by Jamespio View Post
    Do they ever use nitrous oxide?
    Good thinking.

Quote Originally Posted by Downbound Train View Post
    And there will come a day when our ancestors look back...........

Why would claustrophobia be an issue for a hip MRI?

When I had my knee done I went in feet first into the gantry, I assume hip would be the same and she wouldn't need to go further then the waist.

That said if she has that much problem, just take the drugs offered.

No nitrous oxide in the room because you can't have metal anesthetic machine near the MRI machine. If she is really bad she can be knocked out with propofol, I heard Micheal Jackson's MD is available.

I agree it is a constitutional right for Americans to be assholes...its just too bad that so many take the opportunity...
    iscariot

They just suck, and she will basically have to harden the fuck up for 40 minutes. Loud music is the key, as others have said. They will likely have the mirror contraption allowing her to see outside the tube, but that thing just kept reminding me that I needed a series of mirrors to barely see my feet.

During my last MRI, I swear the tech was pumping in music from his own shitty band hoping one day Rick Rubin would need his cabeza scanned. It was hell on Earth.

Smoke weed
    "We had nice 3 days in your autonomous mountain realm last weekend." - Tom from Austria (the Rax ski guy)

They do occassionally use anesthesia machines near MR's, however all the instruments and cylinders are non ferrous.

Quote Originally Posted by gretch6364 View Post
    Smoke weed
    that'd work too...can't bust you because you smell like it. Patient/tech/physician confidentiality

Quote Originally Posted by mtnjam View Post
    non ferrous.
    Hopefully they have a better understanding of how magnets work than you?

Magnets, how do they work?

I agree it is a constitutional right for Americans to be assholes...its just too bad that so many take the opportunity...
    iscariot

Quote Originally Posted by PNWbrit View Post
    Hopefully they have a better understanding of how magnets work than you?
    and you do? All I'm saying is that most cylinders are made of some sort of iron alloy, thus making it magnetic. Non magnetic metals (titanium, etc.) are somewhat OK.

and you do?
    Got change for some...... Nickel.

Quote Originally Posted by PNWbrit View Post
    Got change for some...... Nickel.
    seriously, is that really what the MR magnets are made from? I know that Iron, Cobalt and nickel are magnetic, but are the MR's made with an alloy of nickel?

I have a pretty damn good understanding of scintillation scanners, but clearly not MR's

seriously, is that really what the MR magnets are made from?
    I have no idea,

I was simply pointing out that you don't seem to know what

non ferrous.
    means.

Quote Originally Posted by hutash View Post
    Why would claustrophobia be an issue for a hip MRI?

When I had my knee done I went in feet first into the gantry, I assume hip would be the same and she wouldn't need to go further then the waist.
    They also want to image the SI joint, and there are some other considerations I don't fully understand (hey, I'm a fuckin lawyer because science was never my strong suit) and they need to put her in farther than she's comfortable with.

Quote Originally Posted by gretch6364 View Post
    Smoke weed
    Affects everyone differently. Last thing I'd want to see is her go on a "manic" high right before we try to stuff her in a tube.