Travel smart mags, advice sought

Wwmd in this situation:

Flying Friday afternoon from syr-clt-slc. Clt is a complete shit show right now, all incomings for today are cancelled. Due to the large percentage of clt/phl bound flights, syr is packed with delangry passengers. My flights are still listed as a ok, 24 hours out. Our flights are the last option frm syr to slc for the day, either one has problems we're hosed.

I was thinking it might make sense to go to airport at like 6am to see if they can pre-emptively get us to slc via ord or dtw, freeing up seats in/out of clt, ensuring we get there and maybe getting us in earlier. If not we go grab breakfast and come back later.

The wife thinks I'm fucking nuts and got kinda angry wih m3 for suggesting this. Fwiw, she's kind of a bad traveler, really anxious. I'm relaxed about everything except being seated next to smelly obese mouthbreathers and being stuck somewhere without a toothbrush. She freaked out when i told her that in syr, under normal conditions, there is no need to arrive any earlier than 1.5 hours ahead of time. Just to give you an idea of what I'm dealing with.

What tricks are there to ensure we`re in slc by saturday am?

Sent from my Transformer TF101 using TGR Forums
    Quote Originally Posted by Tunco perfectly summarizing TGR View Post
    It is like Days of Our Lives', but with retards.

You're hosed.

Thing to do is to call the airlines right now. They probably won't do anything, because they're worried about the people stuck in airports right now, rather than tomorrow afternoon, but you never know.

Quote Originally Posted by Jamespio View Post
    You're hosed.

Thing to do is to call the airlines right now. They probably won't do anything, because they're worried about the people stuck in airports right now, rather than tomorrow afternoon, but you never know.
    Heh, tried calling the airline earlier. The message didn't say to hold for an operator, nope, just "call back later". WTF?

So, uh, if anyone can impersonate my wife, I might have a Solitude Liftopia ticket for Sunday for ya. Luckily, I didn't buy mine yet.

syracuse - arrive 20 minutes pre departure time and you are set

Crushed a couple valium then mix in your wife's coffee, just in case.

Quote Originally Posted by dumpy View Post
    Heh, tried calling the airline earlier. The message didn't say to hold for an operator, nope, just "call back later". WTF?
    Means shit is so bad they are not even pretending any more.

Good luck tomorrow.

Quote Originally Posted by DBdude View Post
    syracuse - arrive 20 minutes pre departure time and you are set
    Yeah, no shit. I usually shoot for a little over an hour just to be safe, but I've gotten there 45min pre-departure and still had time to kick back a couple of double Jamos before boarding my on time flight. It's downright silly how quick and hassle free that airport is, I'll deal with the limited food options and general crappiness of the place any day in exchange for the ease.

i live in CLT and I fly out of there about 3-4 times a month. I can tell you that we did get lots of snow. About 9 inches or so. That being said, it clear now and sunny. What may really screw you up is the storm affecting the megapolis's in the Northeast now.
    What you need to do is move from Syracuse to a real city that has multiple flights. How do private businesses operate from upstate and Western NY any longer without lots of flights.

Quote Originally Posted by ncskier View Post
    i live in CLT and I fly out of there about 3-4 times a month. I can tell you that we did get lots of snow. About 9 inches or so. That being said, it clear now and sunny. What may really screw you up is the storm affecting the megapolis's in the Northeast now.
    What you need to do is move from Syracuse to a real city that has multiple flights. How do private businesses operate from upstate and Western NY any longer without lots of flights.
    Yeah, my main concern is that the glut of stuck travelers in SYR (headed to CLT and PHL, amongst others) and CLT (headed wherever) will take precedent or that compounding delays will just FSU. The large CNY diaspora in NC makes me even more nervous, gotta imagine a lot of folks are making Charlotte their destination.

Yeah, Syracuse may only have 2 flights to each of the big hubs (CLT, ATL, PHL, DTW, ORD, JFK) per day, but fuck, we don't get totally shutdown by anything less than a foot. Supposedly the airport has the largest single blade snowplow ever made: http://www.syracuse.com/weather/snow/stories/index.html.
    We've also got 3 other similar size airports within 90 minutes if need be.

Limited flights have no chance of killing business here. Taxes, restrictive local governments and the general attitude of the public takes care of things before air travel plays a role.

Quote Originally Posted by Jamespio View Post
    Means shit is so bad they are not even pretending any more.

Good luck tomorrow.
    yes +1, unfortunately the east coast seems to be a shit show - 6000 cancelled flights across US according to flight tracker

kind of in the same boat. if we make it, lets meet for beers or solisunday. In 13 years, this is the 2nd time we have had departure affected by weather.

try this site: http://www.flightview.com/TravelTool...BDL&view=delay

good multi airline status tool.

Yeah, my main concern is that the glut of stuck travelers in SYR (headed to CLT and PHL, amongst others) and CLT (headed wherever) will take precedent or that compounding delays will just FSU. The large CNY diaspora in NC makes me even more nervous, gotta imagine a lot of folks are making Charlotte their destination.

Yeah, Syracuse may only have 2 flights to each of the big hubs (CLT, ATL, PHL, DTW, ORD, JFK) per day, but fuck, we don't get totally shutdown by anything less than a foot. Supposedly the airport has the largest single blade snowplow ever made: http://www.syracuse.com/weather/snow/stories/index.html.
    We've also got 3 other similar size airports within 90 minutes if need be.

Limited flights have no chance of killing business here. Taxes, restrictive local governments and the general attitude of the public takes care of things before air travel plays a role.
    Sorry its screwing up your trip. I had a similar situation MLK weekend trying to get back to CLT from Burlington VT. Storm hammered DC, NYC, PHI airports. When you get a storm like this, it must knock out so much capacity due to the density of the Northeast its almost unfathomable. Good luck. I was in Utah 2 weeks ago for the beginning of this storm cycle. Be patient and you will make it at some point.

It is wiser to do what you suggest, arriving early and trying to get on the earliest flight. because that last flight is a much bigger gamble.

Eh....why not just have a happy holiday in Minoa or maybe Cicero instead?

Just watch out for the drivers in Cicero....they are sucky snow drivers.
    "The reason death sticks so closely to life isn't biological necessity - it's envy. Life is so beautiful that death has fallen in love with it; a jealous, possesive love that grabs at what it can." by Yann Martel from Life of Pi

Posted by DJSapp:
    "Squirrels are rats with good PR."

Quote Originally Posted by Alaskan Rover View Post
    Eh....why not just have a happy holiday in Minoa or maybe Cicero instead?

Just watch out for the drivers in Cicero....they are sucky snow drivers.
    No way brah, Solvay is the place to be!

So on a non-retarded note, should I check into my current flight? I can't get anyone on the phone tonight to see about being rerouted. If I check into my flight, will it prevent me from switching flights?

Look on the website for your flight, as trying to get them on the phone is generally useless.

By Friday afternoon they "should" have a general grip on things, but it is so wacky right now it's hard to say.

I was supposed to be in DC for a meeting today, leaving from San Diego. We knew something was up when we were suddenly told that our flights were changed through Minnehopeoless, on to DC. I told DL that I KNEW I wouldn't get in to DCA last night, so stop fucking around and rebook me home (FL) via Minn. They wanted $ for a new ticket but having stature (2m miler + Delta Diamond), helped to get me on the 7:30 this morning to FLL.

Anyway, if you have any status on your airline try to use it, and, if possible see where the connecting flight to yours is coming from, and track that, as it will give you a general feel for having a chance versus being screwed.

ALSO - as the airlines like to take care of their best customers first, you MIGHT want to get bumped if they make a good enough deal. Delta this morning was $600 a head to come in later.

Dumpy, MMP, I'm sitting in a hotel at BWI with a 7:15 AM SLC flight coming up. If we get out of here I'll be in Solitude starting tomorrow afternoon, pm me if you guys make it out.

should I check into my current flight? I can't get anyone on the phone tonight to see about being rerouted. If I check into my flight, will it prevent me from switching flights?

check in now! get in the system and claim you spot, get in front of the passive a gressive human in the morning and kindly ask to improve your situ.... don't count on it though

MMP, Ice- that would be sweet to meet up with you guys. We're only at Soli for one day though (Sunday), then headed up to a condo in Huntsville for some PowMow/SnowBasin fun. Let's hope we all make it.

Here's to safe and hassle free travels, this could be a wild ride, but more than likely it will just be annoying.

Sweet. See you both this week. Plan to head to Ogden Monday or Tuesday. Safe travels.

Quote Originally Posted by MMP View Post
    Sweet. See you both this week. Plan to head to Ogden Monday or Tuesday. Safe travels.
    You sir make good travel plans.

Sent from my HTC6500LVW using TGR Forums

3 hops in this situation is going to be rough more so because it is the last flight out. Especially between the fact that many planes are not leaving from the East Coast and there are many airports that can't handle removal of snow in the same manner as say SYR or Buf. Try and see where your planes are coming from, and definitely try and get on earlier flights if allowed without major fees.

Your fucked! Mostly because your on US Air.

Next time drive to ROC and fly SWA. Hell your probably better off driving there right now.

Nah, sitting in syr sipping a whiskey. Flight to clt a little delayed, flight from clt to slc delayed just a hair more. All on track, life is good. If any mags are hanging around clt and see a dumbass in a Burke mtn. Hoodie with an arcyterex wearing hottie, ask for change(I have no idea what else she is wearing, I just know the coat cause I rip on her cause her massively discounted sac bought jacket retails for more than I paid for my first few cars)

Sent from my HTC6500LVW using TGR Forums

On a plane MF on a plane ! Detroit rock city here I come.