Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast
    as someone who teaches a lot of kids that age:

clothing: kids have to pee every five minutes. it is really, really annoying if you have to take off fifteen layers everytime. big, puffy jacket or overall thing works just fine. I have never had a kid complain about being too warm. get gloves that are easy to put on (=roomy mittens), this makes life easier for everybody. tell the kid from the get go that they have to announce if the have to pee with some time to spare...

gear: boots should not hurt under any circumstances. buy them 2 sizes too big if you have to. skis: better too short than too long to start off with.

lessons: if you have never skied with a kid, get him a lesson, then go somewhere the kid can't see you, don't hover. groups can be more fun for the kids, especially if you are putting him in lessons for a whole week. private might make more sense if you only want a lesson once and then do it yourself. do half day lessons, not full day. I am not a fan of the harnesses but some people love them so whatever works for you. If you do get one do not let the kid "pull" you. the harness is an emergency brake if something goes wrong, they should be braking themselves most of the time.
    Ich bitte dich nur, weck mich nicht.

Quote Originally Posted by Undertow View Post
    This vid was a huge help when taking my GFs little man out for the first time...

http://m.youtube.com/watch?v=Ba-XwY-fUXk
    I fucking love teh memes that pop up here. My first thought upon scanning the title was "make sure they don't french fry when they should pizza"

Killer advice by all, so I'll reiterate some to really pay attention to:

1. Lessons are great but I would spend the first day with the kid and...

2. Bring a small multiday touring pack (30-40L), enough to carry change of clothes, plenty of YUMMY snacks, and sugary drinks, and attachments for 2 pairs of skis. If you don't have one already, go ahead and get one, then you'll have one which is a bonus. I might be mistaken, but from your tone it doesn't sound like money is a big deal so either get yourself something you want and/or ask around in gear swap, sure you can get hooked up. Throw a pup tent in there, put up and try to defend or attack with snowballs.

Bottom line, make it a self-contained adventure where you can stop and go into the woods and build a fort. Teach him to pee in the snow, don't wait in line for food which as a non-parental unit you will likely wait too long to feed since they will say they aren't hungry. also see post above about carrying the kid out on meltdown but...

3. Make sure you go get hot chocolate and cookies and sit next to the fire and talk about the adventure. This crystallizes good times and they will be hooked, which leads me to...

4. No matter what, get the kid a decent (non-cotton) baselayer (we called them long johns when I grew up) from the likes of REI or sport chalet or indep. Most important layer

then I would look around for synthetic insulated ski jacket with some room for layering (not to wide on the bottom, some cuts suck) and pants at used clothing store or Walmart like store. They have decent stuff for what you will be doing. Make sure the pants fit. Then add in any other fleecy layer they already have, even fleecy sweatshirt for mid layer top. If it is too cold outside that this will not work, don't ski much and make more fun of it. New googles and mits. For some reason kids can get particular about headwear so they pick it out and you make sure it fits, and if they like it it will also be their bike helmet and they will use for multiple seasons as opposed to jacket and pants, as far as the gear goes...

4. Rent skis the night before the first time and have him try them out that night while you watch ski videos. If you think you will be going a lot, look around for kid deals, and finally....

5. Have a blast in the winter wonderland from their perspective. If the first day is good, next is lessons and then they will teach themselves to ski and you have the best friend for life.

Also don't drink too much schnapps because that shit gives you a headache within an hour and drinking with kids that age isn't really that fun. If you are an altered state of mind person, a little pot may actually enhance the experience. But be prepared for anything.
    Education must be the answer, we've tried ignorance and it doesn't work!

I have very little to offer that will actually help you but do have an amusing anecdote from this season.

First day of the season and I'm walking back to the truck after a couple of laps. Little guy is maybe 5-6 years old at the stairs that lead back to the car-park and is just in full-on meltdown mode. Hands and feet locked around the railing in a death-grip, succumbed to the racking, full-body sobs where it's only possible to get one syllable out per sob. What's he saying to Mom as she tries to prise him free of the railings?

"I. Want. To. Keep. Skiing! I. Just. Want. To. Keep. Skiing!"

So whatever they're doing, do that.

Get a new girlfriend?

Seriously though kids are a blast to ski with. But start with ski school, it'll steepen the learning curve. Plus give you an hour break...

Go to the salvation army or value village for some puffy outerwear, kids get coooold...

Maybe check the keep kids skiing thread in gear swap.
    Its not that I suck at spelling, its that I just don't care

I assume you are skiing in CA, so if you are not in Tahoe, skip Mammoth for kiddie lessons and go to June. They are cheaper, far less crowded, and better terrain for beginners (once you get on top of J1, might want to leave the GF at home if she is a non-skier.)

Valuesports in Bishop (and now in Mammoth) for cheap kids gear and clothing, or thrift stores.

I agree it is a constitutional right for Americans to be assholes...its just too bad that so many take the opportunity...
    iscariot

have the gf drop jr. off at lessons if that's your route, then head directly to chair.

my own children get nothing but the best so I teach them to ski.
    the proof is in my lil man tearing up the big boy hill and floating thru the powder.

skittles ftw!
    b

If this kid has never seen snow, I'd really push the "fun in the snow" aspect: snowball fights, snow angels, snowmen, I'm assuming this requires an overnight trip so maybe some night time sledding missions, making yellow snow is funny, etc. If you can get some time in a light, fluffy flake, non windy snowstorm, even better-cause just looking at the different flakes is fascinating at any age.

Man, never seeing snow, that kinda makes me sad, most of my favorite childhood memories involve snow and I didn't even ski until was 9 or 10. Actually one of my favorites was my crazy ass (in a good, fun way) grandpa taking me to spin donuts in his boat of a car, I was probably 6 and 30 years later it's still a semi vivid memory I can look back on and smile about.

Just keep it fun, keep him warm (again especially if he's not from a cold climate) and don't expect too much. Really don't expect a half day formal lesson and a half day with you, was that a joke? You'll be lucky to get him out for four hours total.

Fwiw, I don't have any kids, but I used to teach them and I'm that guy who likes to comment on everything like he knows what he's talking about.

Thanks for spreading the stoke!

Sent from my HTC6500LVW using TGR Forums
    Quote Originally Posted by Tunco perfectly summarizing TGR View Post
    It is like Days of Our Lives', but with retards.

Give yourself plenty of time. If a lesson starts at 10, get to the mountain at 8:30 and be able to take it easy getting suited up. No stress at all, make it fun all day long.

Best advise so far was to leave the hill with him wanting more!

Put the skis on at home and have him walk around the floor. This keeps him from flailing quite as much when he gets there. Pockets full of candy mom wouldn't give him other wise. Falls are rewarded, means their trying. Quit before the meltdown. At four he'll last longer, but it is exhausting being a gaper. Most of us with the exception of Rog have forgotten how hard it is to be falling non stop. On the hot chocolate, put a baggy full of it in your pocket. Hot water is free and you don't feel bad pouring it out after they only take two sips and are done. If he is a momas boy, have your girlfriend stay far away. If he is not trying, consider a lesson. Peer pressure is a wonderful tool if a kid is unsure.

Good luck! Skiing with kids is awesome. The love they have for every new experience makes lack luster days special.

On the gear, quality of performance doesn't matter. Its a wedge to a basic carved turn. Comfortable and warm is all they care about.

Quote Originally Posted by uglymoney View Post
    I say forget renting. You can buy everything used for the price of renting. Spit the cost with your girlfriend.
    This. I am floored by the prices of kids gear on craigslist in non-skitown DC. Broad variety and rock bottom prices. Don't poach the boots and planks I need for my 8 year old godson and 1.5 year old first issue, or I'll fucking cut you.

PM Iceman for proper attire
    PM BushwackinPA for instruction tips.

Just taught my 5 year old and 7 year old to ski a month ago. They love the snow but we are from the flatland of Kansas! Gear is key, they hate being cold. You can get awesome gear from online retailers for cheap, evo.com, the-house.com are where we buy most our gear. If that is a no no to post on this site sorry! Have fun, don't expect to lap just be cool and calm. Get them riding the chairlift asap as the surface lifts are a pain! We rented gear, it's really cheap like 10 bucks a day for kids. Our 5 year old skied free at Copper, don't know but I'd imagine it would be free for under 5 about anywhere. My kids could go for about 2-3 hours then they were tired. Have your gf hang out at the base and when the kids done drop him there to get a treat and head back out yourself for some turns. Have fun man!

You might check out this new cartoon book
    "Ski Tips for Kids." It's for both the kid and parents...I've seen it and it's pretty cool.

http://www.amazon.com/Ski-Tips-Kids-...+tips+for+kids

Quote Originally Posted by Canada1 View Post
    Put the skis on at home and have him walk around the floor. This keeps him from flailing quite as much when he gets there. Pockets full of candy mom wouldn't give him other wise. Falls are rewarded, means their trying. Quit before the meltdown. At four he'll last longer, but it is exhausting being a gaper. Most of us with the exception of Rog have forgotten how hard it is to be falling non stop. On the hot chocolate, put a baggy full of it in your pocket. Hot water is free and you don't feel bad pouring it out after they only take two sips and are done. If he is a momas boy, have your girlfriend stay far away. If he is not trying, consider a lesson. Peer pressure is a wonderful tool if a kid is unsure.

Good luck! Skiing with kids is awesome. The love they have for every new experience makes lack luster days special.
    X2 on all of this.

having the kid put on all his gear, boots and skis and walking around on a carpeted floor, learning how to turn around without stepping one ski over the other is excellent advice. Once they get on the snow he'll already know how to shuffle a bit.

Skittles are good but Life Savers will last longer.

Make everything about it be fun. If he gets cold, go inside for cocoa. If he wants to quit after 2 runs, you can try to coax him a little with bribes but be prepared to stop- this is easier at a place you have a pass and didn't have to buy a full day ticket.

I had a blast teaching my kids to ski and now they are almost to the age where they are going to start schooling me.
    Move upside and let the man go through...

oh i think you got a few more seasons once you start getting them into hairball situations

you have done a fantastic job with your 2 ski champs and have set a great example for me.
    b

Quote Originally Posted by Canada1 View Post
    On the gear, quality of performance doesn't matter. Its a wedge to a basic carved turn. Comfortable and warm is all they care about.
    Blasphemer! What kid can ski without double rocker, 120 flex boots, carbon poles, and a complete Gore-tex Pro outfit? Better yet put him on dynafits from the get go.

Start 'em young, start 'em right

I agree it is a constitutional right for Americans to be assholes...its just too bad that so many take the opportunity...
    iscariot

Lots of great advice,but my $.02 worth.

My boys wore one piece suits until they were about 10. They liked them because no snow went down their pants, up their back, etc. They don't just ski, they make snow angels, sled, slide down face first, and anything else that looks fun. I liked them because they would get a few years out of most sizes. I could by them a little larger than ski pants.

Gloves vs mittens. Mittens hands down. A pair of those stretchy liner gloves when dexterity is needed. Some type of clip/cord system to keep them connected. Think of chairlifts and dropped mitts!

Spare helmet liners and mittens in your pack. They eat their body weight in snow and sooner or later you'll need to replace a wet clothing item.

Helmets and goggles. If possible let them have some input in something or have some sheets of stickers for customization.

I absolutely agree with letting them try on the gear before hand. Let them "ski" on the carpet, in the grass, anywhere they can.

Cross country ski with them. The little skis use bindings that buckle right over their snow boots. My boys were on these when they were 18 months. I had a pulk and would let them ski and then tow them around while they ate snacks and slept. I realize that the OP has an older child, but the balance and weight transfer learned on skinny skis will definitely help on the steeper slopes.

Try to look at it from their eyes. Do little things that are fun. Don't make it all about skiing, make it about having fun playing in the snow!

Lots of good stuff in here, I think most importantly stay positive and make it fun, if he doesn't want to ski go sledding or just penguin slide on your stomachs, keep him entertained.

I've coached kids from 6-10 and worked with younger. They wear the same thing ever day no matter the temperature and never complain about their bodies being cold. Hand, feet, and faces get colder much faster than yours will. Highly recommend making sure he has a neckie or face mask.

Make sure the boots aren't too big. If they are and he falls his foot will more inside the boot and there won't be enough force to release the binding and that's when injuries happen. While just starting I doubt it would be much of an issue but we warn parents every year and I've seen legs break because of it.

Agree with everything said above. I have 5 yr old twins and have taken by myself since they were 3. That is the advice I utilized since the begginning.

Sent from my SCH-I535 using TGR Forums

Quote Originally Posted by klar View Post
    as someone who teaches a lot of kids that age:

clothing: kids have to pee every five minutes. it is really, really annoying if you have to take off fifteen layers everytime. big, puffy jacket or overall thing works just fine. I have never had a kid complain about being too warm. get gloves that are easy to put on (=roomy mittens), this makes life easier for everybody. tell the kid from the get go that they have to announce if the have to pee with some time to spare...

gear: boots should not hurt under any circumstances. buy them 2 sizes too big if you have to. skis: better too short than too long to start off with.

lessons: if you have never skied with a kid, get him a lesson, then go somewhere the kid can't see you, don't hover. groups can be more fun for the kids, especially if you are putting him in lessons for a whole week. private might make more sense if you only want a lesson once and then do it yourself. do half day lessons, not full day. I am not a fan of the harnesses but some people love them so whatever works for you. If you do get one do not let the kid "pull" you. the harness is an emergency brake if something goes wrong, they should be braking themselves most of the time.
    This is the advice I suggest you follow.

Sent from my SCH-I535 using TGR Forums

Dont worry there has to be snow to ski on
    I need to go to Utah.
    Utah?
    Yeah, Utah. It's wedged in between Wyoming and Nevada. You've seen pictures of it, right?

So after 15 years we finally made it to Utah.....

Thanks BCSAR and POWMOW Ski Patrol for rescues

8, 17, 13, 18, 16, 18, 20, 19, 16, 24, 32, 35

2021/2022 (13/15)

Excellent Whyturn - I'm gonna send the rugrat to Canada with you next week.

bklyn is offline who guards the guardians?
    Agree on having an introduction to the gear at home. Get them familiar with it all before going on snow. Choose a really nice day to go. Rule out stormy or cold days.

The only help device should be the edgie wedgie IMO. You can attach it to the skis and pull them around on the carpet at home to give a feel for balancing while in motion.

Devices that support their weight (harnesses, hoops etc) allow adults to select terrain too steep for the kid. Start flat and stay with low angle terrain. The power wedge is hard to unlearn and a sign of too much time spent skiing in survival mode. Let their body learn to support itself in motion. Choose a slope they can be successful stopping and turning on.

Kiddie fart bags are the best for warmth. Bathroom time is another story. Good bib pants are a more flexible compromise.

First day set a time limit. 45 minutes on snow is great for that age. Stop and take a break, maybe go out again later. Enjoy hot cocoa, candy, a great breakfast and lunch, sightseeing, wildlife, snow angels, snowballs... all the fun you can associate with a ski day.
    I'm just a simple girl trying to make my way in the universe...
    I come up hard, baby but now I'm cool I didn't make it, sugar playin' by the rules
    If you know your history, then you would know where you coming from, then you wouldn't have to ask me, who the heck do I think I am.

I started teaching my boy at 3. Pass and free tix for him meant easy in terms of timing. One day we went to the hill, he wasn't into that day so we had a snowball fight and left without skiing at all. But he is getting better every year.
    Again, don't rush it and have fun. I even bought new ski boots last year. I've been boarding for 25 yrs but skied before (and during that time)
    Quote Originally Posted by Conundrum View Post
    I'm the most extreme skier in my office. I'll see your III and raise you one level of radness.