San Francisco Boot Fitter Recommendations?

I have a buddy who just moved to San Francisco and needs a good boot fitter. I searched and found nothing. Any recommendations? He'll be skiing mainly Tahoe, so I guess someone up there would work, too.
    Last edited by auvgeek; 02-10-2014 at 10:04 PM.
    "Alpine rock and steep, deep powder are what I seek, and I will always find solace there." - Bean Bowers

photos

Which end of Tahoe?

The commonly-recommended Bay Area shop now is California Ski Company at Berkeley. No personal experience, but heard good things.

I do have personal experience with Starthaus and Cosmo in Truckee. Both are good. With Cosmo, call ahead and bring beer.
    Quote Originally Posted by Ernest_Hemingway View Post
    I realize there is not much hope for a bullfighting forum. I understand that most of you would prefer to discuss the ingredients of jacket fabrics than the ingredients of a brave man. I know nothing of the former. But the latter is made of courage, and skill, and grace in the presence of the possibility of death. If someone could make a jacket of those three things it would no doubt be the most popular and prized item in all of your closets.

Quote Originally Posted by LightRanger View Post
    Which end of Tahoe?
    Kirkwood, I think. I'm not super familiar with the area, but I think that's where he's mainly planning to ski.

Are there specific guys at those shops you recommend? Or will anybody there work out just fine? Feel free to PM me if you don't want to put people's names out there for the world to see.
    "Alpine rock and steep, deep powder are what I seek, and I will always find solace there." - Bean Bowers

photos

+1 for StartHaus in Truckee.

Quote Originally Posted by auvgeek View Post
    Kirkwood, I think. I'm not super familiar with the area, but I think that's where he's mainly planning to ski.

Are there specific guys at those shops you recommend? Or will anybody there work out just fine? Feel free to PM me if you don't want to put people's names out there for the world to see.
    The guy at Cal Ski that people recommend is Paul. Cosmo's Footwerks is one guy, Cosmo. Starthaus has multiple people. Jim is the main guy.

Truckee is a ways from Kirkwood, so let's see if any South Lake Tahoe people chime in. I know there's a good shop or two down there as well. I've heard Powder House recommended.
    Quote Originally Posted by Ernest_Hemingway View Post
    I realize there is not much hope for a bullfighting forum. I understand that most of you would prefer to discuss the ingredients of jacket fabrics than the ingredients of a brave man. I know nothing of the former. But the latter is made of courage, and skill, and grace in the presence of the possibility of death. If someone could make a jacket of those three things it would no doubt be the most popular and prized item in all of your closets.

+1 for California Ski Company

Quote Originally Posted by TahoeJ View Post
    +1 for StartHaus in Truckee.
    I don't live there, but when on a ski trip I had an ongoing issue with my boot that my local shop could not resolve... After talking to some locals the consensus was the StartHaus and I could not have been happier with service and outcome... Plus the fact that this is the shop Daron Rahlves uses for service was good enough for me... I am sure there are others, but StartHaus is a shop I would refer to anyone when in the area...

In South Lake Tahoe, I can recommend the following:

Sports LTD does a good job if you know what you need done. Ask for John or one of the other old-timers. I have a tough foot to fit but I know what I need...a lot of bootfitters are like "Shut up, I'm the expert, you're going to do this and buy this" and then you've spent $900 and your feet still hurt. John and co. listened, did what I asked, and got my boots dialed for me. Big thumbs up for that.

Tom Wohrman Sports has the giant water-cooled machine that can blow a 98mm shell out to like 115mm. Warning: Tom will talk your ear off. But he's been doing this stuff for decades and has seen every crazy bootfitting problem ever, so he can definitely fix yours.

Both shops include bootfitting in purchase price, so if you're shopping, you'll probably save money by buying from them. LTD carries Head, Fischer (including the Vacuum), K2, Salomon, Rossi, and some AT boots. Wohrman carries Alpina, 1st Degree, Daleboot (!), Dalbello, and maybe a few more. (I might have forgot some brands out of these lists.)

+1 for Cosmo in Truckee. Never had boots done at StartHaus but have heard great things and have had only positive experiences for everything else (mounts/tunes/waxes).
    "Dude - I'd kick his ass. I can take my ski-off so fucking fast." - Jongsy

Quote Originally Posted by Spats View Post
    Sports LTD does a good job if you know what you need done.
    Old thread, but for the record I want to add an endorsement of Tahoe Sports LTD in South Lake for boot work. Happened to be in that neighborhood and decided to give them a shot as I had heard some good things. Had Patrick there do specific punches on three shells and bake some liners. Patrick, Jay, and others there are very cool/good guys. They know what they are doing, seem to have good machines that achieve serious movement (important), and get the job done with great service. Overall, legit boot shop, would highly recommend for shell work and will be bringing my shells there in the future when I need tweaks.

I went to Start Haus with my hard to fit feet. I got a very good fitting pair of boots (Tecnica Cochise Pro, although I'm not partial to any brand).

I can't believe people like California Ski Company. I've been in a couple of times when I needed something last minute and had to deal with all sorts of attitude. Maybe they have a great bootfitter that I don't know about, but I sure wouldn't trust them.

Start Haus--good people.

Re CalSki - Paul and Earl have done a good job with my boot work. I also watched Eric work with a novice skier and he was informative without being condescending. Seems to know his stuff.

Not the best place to go at last minute; works better if you make an appointment.

Is there anyone decent in San Jose, specifically with respect to cooking intuition liners? a 90-120 minute drive to Berkeley doesn't sound amazing.
    Quote Originally Posted by Dantheman View Post
    ...I would have dove into that bush like Jon McMurray.

While we’re on this topic, I’m looking for a great surf board shaper in the Kansas City area. If anyone knows someone, give a holler...