Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 LastLast

Thread: Belize

Quote Originally Posted by Soups View Post
    Good info. Thanks.
    Having to present a neg test even though vaxxed on arrival is new. We arrived just before that went in to effect. I know while there, they were changing the curfew to 7 pm. I don’t know if that’s changed yet again. I think if you book everything through a gold standard businesses you should be good. Sorry I’m not much more help. We never left the resort this trip since we dove 8 of our 9 days. A family that dove a lot with us did a few inland trips. I can say the Hamanasi resort is lovely and the staff is amazing. It’s my second time there and already planned another trip for next August.

2nd on the Lamanai Outpost. The ruins there are bad ass and you can catch tarpon in fresh water during the right time of year.

Sent from my SM-G960U using TGR Forums mobile app
    `•.¸¸.•´><((((º>`•.¸¸.•´¯`•.¸.? ??´¯`•...¸><((((º>

"Having been Baptized by uller his frosty air now burns my soul with confirmation. I am once again pure." - frozenwater

"once i let go of my material desires many opportunities for playing with the planet emerge. emerge - to come into being through evolution. ok back to work - i gotta pack." - Slaag Master

"As for Flock of Seagulls, everytime that song comes up on my ipod, I turn it up- way up." - goldenboy

Bump. Anyone been to Belize recently? Ambergris Caye is the clubhouse leader for a laid back island/beach vacation in November, but looking for recent feedback (on specific places or in general). Willing to consider alternative locations too. GF wants to do a little diving so that has to be part of the equation.

Not looking to dirtbag it, but don't need a 5* resort either. We do want easy and casual.
    "fuck off you asshat gaper shit for brains fucktard wanker." - Jesus Christ
    "She was tossing her bean salad with the vigor of a Drunken Pop princess so I walked out of the corner and said.... "need a hand?"" - Odin
    "everybody's got their hooks into you, fuck em....forge on motherfuckers, drag all those bitches across the goal line with you." - (not so) ill-advised strategy

Quote Originally Posted by Danno View Post
    Bump. Anyone been to Belize recently? Ambergris Caye is the clubhouse leader for a laid back island/beach vacation in November, but looking for recent feedback (on specific places or in general). Willing to consider alternative locations too. GF wants to do a little diving so that has to be part of the equation.

Not looking to dirtbag it, but don't need a 5* resort either. We do want easy and casual.
    Placencia fits that description. Reefs are so-so however in Belize.

From over diving, the hurricane a few years or what? They used to be top tier but that was a long time ago

Went last year in April. Thought Placencia was just so-so. Water was kind of stagnate and warm and muddy when you walked out. Could have been time of year or location, no idea. Stayed at "The Placencia". If I were to do the beach portion again I would spend more and stay out on a caye. The snorkling day trip we did was fantastic.

Now the jungle, thats where it was at for us. Stayed outside San Ignacio at Sweet Songs jungle lodge. Fantastic place, nice pool. We got the tree house and I still dream about it. Tubing down the river smoking weed was awesome. If you do that, definitely hit Xunantunich. Easily done on your own, just grab a guide when you pull into the ferry. Also, ATM cave is a must do, we went through a guide service off TripAdvisor, dude was awesome. One of the cooler experiences I've ever done.

We also drove by some killer looking jungle lodges along the Hummingbird Highway on the way to Placencia. Dont remember the names though. That was an awesome drive. Just be careful of the speed bumps, they are legit and come out of nowhere.

Everything is pretty expensive, $12 six packs of their plain beer Belikin. Just stick with the green bottle. All the others weren't as good. Food was pretty mediocre.

Sent from my SM-S911U using Tapatalk

Quote Originally Posted by mcski View Post
    From over diving, the hurricane a few years or what? They used to be top tier but that was a long time ago
    Combo of the 2 from what I was told. I went over 20yrs ago and was underwhelmed both on Ambergris and Placencia. I doubt its recovered in that time. Placencia stuff was out on far out cayes. Still fun...I don't complain about any underwater experience.

Haven't been to the Blue Hole, but thats not reef diving that I know of. Just a 10-20 minute deep dive for sharks.

Beach, town, water for relaxing and grub was good...some nearby excursions for fun too. Jungle resorts and play near the Guatamala Border were fun too as someone indicated above, but Danno didn't say that was his objective.

Beaches weren't as nice IMHO (others may disagree, sandflies, etc), but the diving was way way better down the coast in Roaton if thats an option. Plus its a fun vibe.

Quote Originally Posted by Soups View Post
    Went last year in April. Thought Placencia was just so-so. Water was kind of stagnate and warm and muddy when you walked out. Could have been time of year or location, no idea. Stayed at "The Placencia". If I were to do the beach portion again I would spend more and stay out on a caye. The snorkling day trip we did was fantastic.

Now the jungle, thats where it was at for us. Stayed outside San Ignacio at Sweet Songs jungle lodge. Fantastic place, nice pool. We got the tree house and I still dream about it. Tubing down the river smoking weed was awesome. If you do that, definitely hit Xunantunich. Easily done on your own, just grab a guide when you pull into the ferry. Also, ATM cave is a must do, we went through a guide service off TripAdvisor, dude was awesome. One of the cooler experiences I've ever done.

We also drove by some killer looking jungle lodges along the Hummingbird Highway on the way to Placencia. Dont remember the names though. That was an awesome drive. Just be careful of the speed bumps, they are legit and come out of nowhere.

Everything is pretty expensive, $12 six packs of their plain beer Belikin. Just stick with the green bottle. All the others weren't as good. Food was pretty mediocre.

Did you drive south of Placencia? When I was there that was pretty much end of the road for safe passage. I've heard things have extended since and wonder how that experience is! Would be cool to go to Punta Gorda.

Quote Originally Posted by sirbumpsalot View Post
    Did you drive south of Placencia? When I was there that was pretty much end of the road for safe passage. I've heard things have extended since and wonder how that experience is! Would be cool to go to Punta Gorda.
    Nope. Stayed on the peninsula, our hotel was actually north of Seine Bight and Placencia "downtown". But yes, Punta Gorda could be a cool adventure. Just far driving for a sub 10 day trip, especially if you include the jungle. Also, gas was expensive down there.

Oh also, totally forgot!

If going to Placencia, or anywhere really, watch out for scorpions and check your bags! Never saw one, but my girlfriend had this guy stowaway in her luggage. Randomly found him crawling around on her living room floor one afternoon two days after getting home. We tried to keep it alive, but he died a day later.

This is bringing up great memories. Want to go back now. Enjoy the trip!

Last edited by Soups; 06-11-2023 at 07:33 PM.

We went back to Belize last year and enjoyed it. Had a kid and grandma with us this time. We stayed on Ambergris Caye both times and it’s changed a lot in the last 15 years. San Pedro is definitely more busy. We stayed about ten minutes north of town and enjoyed the condo we stayed at. Lots of places to eat nearby. We didn’t dive this time, but snorkeling was good.

You might put Roatan on the list as well.

Sent from my iPhone using TGR Forums

Im headed to Belize at the end of the month with a 7 buddies. We have a place just north of San Pedro for most of the trip but do need to fill a night the day we arrive, any suggestion on where to spend our first night/next day? sounds like we are going to fish, scuba/snorkel and cave tube. anything we are missing or guides you would recommend. I have thrown out visiting some of the ruins but no one really jumped at that.

We stayed just north of San Pedro in November. Can't recommend a place to stay because our place, while excellent, was a small B&B with 4 cabanas, wouldn't work for your group. We did check out the Ramon's place mentioned in this thread and it seemed nice and clearly a diving/snorkeling hub.

We used White Sands Dive Shop (a few miles north of San Pedro) for snorkeling and Elite Adventures (under the 303 Bar, closer to San Pedro, just north of the bridge) for snorkeling (me) and diving (my GF) and would recommend either for diving and snorkeling. Good and competent folks at both.
    "She was tossing her bean salad with the vigor of a Drunken Pop princess so I walked out of the corner and said.... "need a hand?"" - Odin
    "everybody's got their hooks into you, fuck em....forge on motherfuckers, drag all those bitches across the goal line with you." - (not so) ill-advised strategy

The Truck Stop would be a fun hangout for a big group, it's just north of San Pedro (a bit north of the 303 Bar mentioned above). Bars, food "trucks", a pool, TVs, games.

awesome thanks. I have looked a truck stop, seems like a fun spot. is secret beach any good?

FYI, secret beach is not exactly secret, lol. It was fun, there's certainly a lot to be said for sitting at a picnic table in the water and having someone bring you drinks! (we hung out at Blue Bayou on secret beach) If your schedule is full, I don't think you'll have really missed anything by not doing the long bumpy drive out there, but if you're wanting to tool around the island in a golf cart, it's a fun destination.

Belize

Lamanai is pretty cool if you have time to kill on the mainland. Sounds like your groups agenda is more on the beach side of things. Secret Beach is definitely not a secret but like Danno said not a bad place to sit in the water and get served cocktails.

Samuel L. Jackson as Jules Winnfield: Oh, I'm sorry. Did I break your concentration?

It's not even much of a beach, lol. At least it wasn't at the Blue Bayou side.

I'm in Belize currently and can confirm it's the teats.

Sent from my SM-S918U1 using Tapatalk
    "All God does is watch us and kill us when we get boring. We must never, ever be boring."

Quote Originally Posted by The Reverend Floater View Post
    I'm in Belize currently and can confirm it's the teats.

So jealous. We pulled the trigger on a place on the Sittee River just outside of Hopkins. Can’t wait to get down there for some extended teats time myself.

Samuel L. Jackson as Jules Winnfield: Oh, I'm sorry. Did I break your concentration?

If you scuba make the trip to the blue hole and also wall dive there.

The reef on ambergris was trashed twenty years ago. More sewage and tourists today. The long boat ride is worth the awesome diving.
    The only dive on the mainland that was cool was the night dive. Spooky and cool. Only night dive I’ve done.
    . . .

Quote Originally Posted by teleee View Post
    So jealous. We pulled the trigger on a place on the Sittee River just outside of Hopkins. Can’t wait to get down there for some extended teats time myself.

You know any fly guides down that way? Buddy is headed there in March.

"All God does is watch us and kill us when we get boring. We must never, ever be boring."

Quote Originally Posted by teleee View Post

Man, that's awesome. I was eyeballing that river mouth for fishing when I was in the boat out to Glovers 5 years ago. I hope you have a great time there.

Quote Originally Posted by The Reverend Floater View Post
    You know any fly guides down that way? Buddy is headed there in March.

I am not at home at the moment but when I get home I will get the number of our guide - Floyd has been our guide there for years. I will shoot his info to you.
    John B the river is pretty good fishing, it’s kind of the go to when it’s to rough to run out to the flats. You never know what you might pull out of there.

thanks. yeah blue hole is on the list, I will look into the wall.