Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2
    I would probably go see a physical therapist, had good luck with Danny at Canyon Sports therapy. Not all PTs are created equal! They can do a quick gait analysis, and check out movement patterns. Another thing you should be aware of is your pelvic alignment, it can cause functional leg length discrepancies, which can cause issues. Good luck man, you'll find the right program and get it figured out. I know how frustrating it can be, but keep working at it and you'll see results.

Leroy, don't waste your money on going to an orthopod. they are not gonna operate. it is not gonna help. BTW, I am a musculoskeletal radiologist and I never fail to be impressed by the kinesiology expertise that PT have.

curious, when you had your ACL surgery was it patellar tendon graft?

I would do everything Jtrue said. I would start by finding a good physical therapist. you need a full evaluation and then a good exercise program.

If you have already done that, then try every exercise you can find on youtube, find the ones you like and then do them religiously. luckily most of the exercises can be done several times a day, every day.

like someone else said, lots of 1 legged exercises. cause those hip stabilizers to fire like crazy. mini one leg squats while holding onto a counter can cause that VMO to fire like crazy. I did a ton of those after dislocating my kneecap.

that is the other thing, some of are screwed by are already abnormal anatomy and are prone to lateral patellar subluxation and patellofemoral pain.
    "A man on foot, on horseback or on a bicycle will see more, feel more, enjoy more in one mile than the motorized tourists can in a hundred miles."
    — Edward Abbey (Desert Solitaire)

Concerning orthotics, here's a link that explains a lot of the current research. A lot of people make money from prescribing and fabricating custom orthotics but they don't really have the evidence to back up their work:

http://www.runningwritings.com/2011/...ken-model.html

From my personal experience with glut max denervation after a back injury, I'm of the firm opinion that the strength, tone, and flexibility of your pelvic muscles (glut max min and med mainly) strongly affect whether you pronate or supinate. As an example, I've been an over-pronater all my life, however after my back injury the foot on my affected side was stuck in an everted-supinated position. I had no nerve damage or EMG confirmed weakness in any muscle other than the glut max. As I've recovered, my foot has gradually begun to pronate again with one giant, sudden improvement after a particularily painful dry needling session on my glut med.

Edit: I'd love to hear how the Compex unit works out.
    Last edited by jma233; 02-16-2014 at 11:51 AM.