Page 5 of 7 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 LastLast

Thread: Whatcha tying?

Looks like you are practicing keepemwet so did you keep it or catch n release ?
    Lee Lau - xxx-er is the laziest Asian canuck I know

They are protected here... catch and release.

I actually stopped naming the flies because my favorite fly I had made, thus far, Bob was lost on this trip. Then, my next favorite a fish taco that ended up with too much space at the eye so it got a head was lost. He was named after my favorite co-worker, Manny.

The hoh bo spey I caught the fish with didnt have a name yet, so no more names.

Now they get descriptors like little weirdo and pink guy.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	20190101_105439.jpg 
Views:	125 
Size:	1.00 MB 
ID:	262799Click image for larger version. 

Name:	20181228_172226.jpg 
Views:	128 
Size:	672.2 KB 
ID:	262800

Nice job MtnGirl, this thread makes me smile.
    "Zee damn fat skis are ruining zee piste !" -Oscar Schevlin

"Hike up your skirt and grow a dick you fucking crybaby" -what Bunion said to Harry at the top of The Headwaters

Quote Originally Posted by neckdeep View Post
    It appears to have the broader head and long jaw length of a bull trout. If the head is a little large for the body and the upper jaw extends well past the eye, it is probably a bull trout. This is the time of year when bull trout migrate down from small tribs to winter over in holes in the river.
    So I was looking this up and apparently in western Washington and southern BC bull trout are in the lower parts of the river below the barriers that block sea run fish and Dolly Varden are higher up and unable to get to the sea. This is opposite from most places.

Quote Originally Posted by mtngirl79 View Post
    So I was looking this up and apparently in western Washington and southern BC bull trout are in the lower parts of the river below the barriers that block sea run fish and Dolly Varden are higher up and unable to get to the sea. This is opposite from most places.
    There are four different types of bull trout. Their habits tend to keep them separate populations.

The rarest are anadromous bulls in the Puget Sound and BC coastal watershed. They are resident in the lower river systems and can travel between them in salt water. They generally spawn in the creeks along that habitat and they don't need to travel above the dams.

There are riverine bulls that are resident in large river systems and migrate up tribs to spawn.

There are lake dwelling bulls that mature in lakes and make spawning runs out of the lake.

There are the tributary resident bulls that winter over in whatever green water they can find in the smaller rivers or big creeks.

Dolly Vardens have three forms that correspond to bulls but dollys do not have a headwaters/tributary resident form.

Here is my favorite, "if I could only pick one" fly for steelhead, the Babine Special. It is a "two-fer". Fished on the bottom under an indicator, it gets bit by steelhead, salmon, dollys, rainbows, coastal cutts etc, basically anything that eats a roe pattern. It also works pretty well when swung in a traditional quarter cast and swing presentation; its got the basic size and color of a Polar Shrimp (a classic attractor pattern) that can annoy a feisty steelhead into striking.

Name:  download (1).jpg
Views: 565
Size:  4.9 KB
    Last edited by neckdeep; 01-07-2019 at 10:52 AM.

I haven't done the indicator thing.. my friend seemed to have a negative attitude towards it?

We do the cast and let it swing down stream and strip it back in and take a step down stream and cast again thing..

I have been tying lots of hoh bo spey because that's what caught the fish and also big flashy intruder types because they are fun...

A dollar says mtngirl's bull was an anadromous fish. Nice work! Here's a brief read about bull trout from a retired WDFW Fish Bio.

https://www.washingtonflyfishing.com...threads/83193/

That's interesting. The fish was caught near the mouth of a bigger tributary to a pretty big river.

Quote Originally Posted by mtngirl79 View Post
    I haven't done the indicator thing.. my friend seemed to have a negative attitude towards it?

We do the cast and let it swing down stream and strip it back in and take a step down stream and cast again thing..
    Yeah, some anglers like to make up little rules. Swing vs drift, dry vs wet. Whatever. That tradition stuff descends from the elitist British gentlemen who developed fly fishing during the Victorian period when salmonids were the exclusive quarry of the gentry. Angling had to have rules of class and manners the same as everything else in upper class British society. It's as archaic as the gear they used back then. The point is to effectively cover as much water as possible. Success is measured by fish to hand, not by form. Having those arbitrary prejudices just limits the water you can effectively fish.

Quarter cast and swing has its limits. Its a good choice for covering a lot of square footage in medium to large water. Its a poor choice of technique for narrow streams and pocket water. Steelhead small water often requires that you get a fly down fast and have it ticking drag free along the bottom. I've caught 25-30" steelhead out of snag and boulder filled creeks barely three rod lengths wide. You can't do that swinging flies on a sinking line. Even in larger rivers, nymphing is sometimes more practical when you need to put a fly down deep fast to get it directly to a piece of structure.
    Last edited by neckdeep; 01-08-2019 at 04:02 PM.

Whatcha tying?

^Found the fruit booter

Quote Originally Posted by neckdeep View Post
    Success is measured by fish to hand
    Well, I guess that explains it.

Aw...Whatsa matter? Drake too slow? Haven't showed anyone up this week? Bitter guide syndrome got you down, as usual? Whatever. If I spent my summer kissing rich man's ass for tips, I'd probably be bitter too. Most fly fishing guides are.

Shit, I thought you could take a light jab.

Drake’s long dead. I’m not a guide.

Timely comments, though. Just got these stickers today. PM me an address and I’ll send you a care package.

Name:	IMG_6263.JPG 
Views:	103 
Size:	272.3 KB 
ID:	263472

No bickering please.

I got my own pole today so I'm now all in on the fishing thing.

Do we get to make pole jokes?

Quote Originally Posted by Underoos View Post
    Shit, I thought you could take a light jab.

Drake’s long dead. I’m not a guide.

Timely comments, though. Just got these stickers today. PM me an address and I’ll send you a care package.

Name:	IMG_6263.JPG 
Views:	103 
Size:	272.3 KB 
ID:	263472
    You're the savior the fly fishing industry didn't know they needed.

Neckdeep, you might give a listen to Ben's podcast on the Drake, I think you might get what he's up to, mainly making fun of himself, a little better.

Nobody cares about my new pole?

We all care about your pole

How big is it? Do you hold it with one hand or go double fisted?

Heh. I'm not ready to go spey yet.

8w sage fountain and the new ross animas.Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_20190108_180852_195.jpg 
Views:	98 
Size:	857.2 KB 
ID:	263519

Quote Originally Posted by snapt View Post
    you might give a listen to Ben's podcast on the Drake,
    Here’s a link.

https://soundcloud.com/user-95965900...-and-on-and-on

I caught another fish! I thought it was another bull trout but it has different markings on back...?

Brook trout? Brookie bull hybrid? Just a different bull?

Not great pictures

Name:	20190116_122358.jpg 
Views:	177 
Size:	747.3 KB 
ID:	264903Click image for larger version. 

Name:	20190116_122356.jpg 
Views:	182 
Size:	775.0 KB 
ID:	264904Click image for larger version. 

Name:	20190116_122354.jpg 
Views:	126 
Size:	713.6 KB 
ID:	264905Click image for larger version. 

Name:	20190116_122337.jpg 
Views:	107 
Size:	1.47 MB 
ID:	264906Click image for larger version. 

Name:	20190116_122333.jpg 
Views:	110 
Size:	1.45 MB 
ID:	264907

i think that's another bull

While their coloration can be variable, bull trout are generally gray infused with green. The body is covered with small white or pale yellow spots. Some spots along the side may be deep orange to red. The leading edges of the fins along their bellies are white.

The quickest and easiest way to identify a bull trout is by the dorsal fin. If there is NO BLACK - PUT IT BACK. Also no spots on dorsal fin.

Fishing shop guy also said he was just a bull trout cause he couldn't be anything else.

Whatcha tying?

first attempt at a foam popper, love fishing these things

Name:	Image1586474337.280666.jpg 
Views:	96 
Size:	130.1 KB 
ID:	324699

Whatcha tying?

But...that’s a gurgler.