Electric Baseboard Heat

So, we've got electric baseboard heat in the house.... I know.. but we have other shit to fix first.

Each heater has it's own thermostat... and I want to put in programmable ones. I went to lowes the other day (man I don't like that place) but they didn't have any that work with electric baseboard (why would that be?)..

I went to look them up on the internet and there is some shit I clear don't get, like Programmable Line Voltage Thermostats vs. Programmable Low Voltage Thermostats.

I obviously don't need a floor sensing one..

Any clues/help? I need like 4-6 of these.. so $$ can be an issue.

I can't wait to put in some sort of central system..
    www.dpsskis.com
    www.point6.com
    formerly an ambassador for a few others, but the ski industry is... interesting.
    Fukt: a very small amount of snow.

The ones you need are line voltage as electric heat thermostats have 240v inputs and outputs. Turn that shit down!

Something like this
    www.apriliaforum.com

"If the road You followed brought you to this,of what use was the road"?

"I have no idea what I am talking about but would be happy to share my biased opinions as fact on the matter. "
    Ottime

Quote Originally Posted by Vt-Freeheel View Post
    The ones you need are line voltage as electric heat thermostats have 240v inputs and outputs. Turn that shit down!

Something like this
    Thanks.. and I sound like an old man.. telling my wife to turn down the heat and put on a damn sweater
    www.dpsskis.com
    www.point6.com
    formerly an ambassador for a few others, but the ski industry is... interesting.

Stick with the simple ones you have. Or install a simple wall mounted round turn knob with temps. The fancy programmable ones suck. Then get a monitor heater. Then stop using the electric.

rog

Damn, your utility bills have to be expensive. What was your electric bill last month?
    "Can't vouch for him, though he seems normal via email."

Quote Originally Posted by icelanticskier View Post
    Stick with the simple ones you have. Or install a simple wall mounted round turn knob with temps. The fancy programmable ones suck. Then get a monitor heater. Then stop using the electric.

rog
    No.

The old ones need to be replaced.. ie, they don't work well any more, some get stuck on, and are dangerous so I need to replace them anyhow, I may as well be able to turn them on and off automatically during the day.... my house isn't just a set and forget situation. I have 6 that I would have to touch every day if I used those old ones.
    www.dpsskis.com
    www.point6.com

Quote Originally Posted by Below Zero View Post
    Damn, your utility bills have to be expensive. What was your electric bill last month?
    We have one in the $500 range every year, most during the winter are $200 - $300, but summer is like $40.... we have some solar panels too.
    www.dpsskis.com
    www.point6.com

I think that's gonna be tough, you basically have six different systems that you're trying to route through one thermostat. I'm sure it could be done but I don't see how it can be done simply and cheaply.

When you get the moneys ready call your utility about rebates on a ductless mini split system. Super fast payback.

or heat with wood if ya got lots of woods nearby. Works for us here in maine. Barely touch the electric or the monitor heater. free wood-free heat

and its a great workout

rog

Can't a/c in the summer with wood

Quote Originally Posted by grskier View Post
    We have one in the $500 range every year, most during the winter are $200 - $300, but summer is like $40.... we have some solar panels too.

All things considered, that's not too bad if you don't have any other heating bills. Must be insulated pretty good.

Quote Originally Posted by skialpy View Post
    Can't a/c in the summer with wood
    a/c is for banks and malls. Too hot where ya live? Move

rog

Quote Originally Posted by grskier View Post
    Any clues/help? I need like 4-6 of these.. so $$ can be an issue. [/B]

I can't wait to put in some sort of central system..
    Upgrading your thermostats to a networked solution is going to be expensive so you might just want to skip that step and upgrade the entire heating system.

The Solo by Nuheat will do what you want for around $160/thermostat. It is made for in-floor heat but you don't need to use that feature because it also has an air temp sensor inside. I have one for the radiant tile in by bathroom and the programmability is powerful and easy to use. The build quality is top notch. I haven't used the network function but I do know that one thermostat is set to master and the rest are set to slave. They do need to be wired together with low voltage two conductor wire for communication. Each thermostat can control up to 3600 watts at 240V.

For your application you might want to keep looking to see if you can find one with wireless communication although I bet anything suitable will be well over $100/unit.

Good luck.

Who knew? Rog is also a HVAC expert.

Quote Originally Posted by Timberridge View Post
    Who knew? Rog is THE expert. period
    fify

the rog

Not worried about networking at this point.. Just need to be able to turn the heat on and off at different times if the day... And would live for it to jot be a chore
    www.dpsskis.com
    www.point6.com