Page 2 of 7 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 LastLast
    If the boarders are worried the skiers like it, I'm guessing the landings are too far out for the boarder's comfort, as skiers generally carry more speed.

Quote Originally Posted by Atrain505 View Post
    haha...look I guess I should change my stance.
    The examples you guys give are standard traveling. Should it be standard for the olympics...hell no.

Hotel rooms without lightbulbs/without a door even...standard, sucks but seen it plenty of times.
    Dead or dying stray dogs in the street...standard, sucks but seen it plenty of times.
    Jesus, where the hell are you going? Sounds like our standards are very different!

But IMO its not standard when the dogs are dead/dying in the street because a company was paid to to poison them by the hundreds.

Quote Originally Posted by cyborg View Post
    Haven't read the whole thread yet, but, ^^this.

A true sportsman would ride the course and take it easier. Seems like he just is scared but doesn't wanna lose. Gotta keep dem sponsorship checks flowing.
    I don't agree with your last statement.. especially when competing at that level, on that type of course.. there really isn't a lot of middle gears.. you gotta get up to full speed.. maintain at full speed, etc. I guess he could do single corks instead of doubles, etc.. but the kid just wants to repeat in the pipe.. and isn't a top tier (meaning typical medal threat) in slope.

I didn't realize that someone couldn't fill his spot though.. that sucks.
    www.dpsskis.com
    www.point6.com
    formerly an ambassador for a few others, but the ski industry is... interesting.
    Fukt: a very small amount of snow.

Hugh Conway Guest
    Quote Originally Posted by spankthepow View Post
    Jesus, where the hell are you going? Sounds like our standards are very different!
    never planning on going to much of south america asia or africa (outside of luxury hotels)? eesh, there's fewer bed bugs or vermin in a new place, that's a plus. HTFU

Quote Originally Posted by systemoverblow'd View Post
    Arguablly the best slopestyle rider in the world got injured in practice.
    Hard to say if the course is completely to blame on that one.

http://snowboarding.transworld.net/1...ochi-olympics/

This isn't the first time White has dropped out of a slopestyle comp either.

Not all the boarders dislike the course, the top contenders seem quite stoked on it.

The Olympics aren't like the X Games, there are quite a few athletes at Sochi whom probably don't get to ride larger 80-90ft tables on a regular basis like the top 15 or so athletes. Inequitably the bottom guys are going to feel a little out of their element.

Danny Davis posts a pic of a press conference and calls it "just another shaunference". I can't really judge Shaun having never been in his shoes, but I think most wish he was more humble and down to earth.

Danny's next post he standing on top of a rowdy bc couloir line stoked. He on the other hand is totally real and down to earth.

Quote Originally Posted by Hugh Conway View Post
    never planning on going to much of south america asia or africa (outside of luxury hotels)? eesh, there's fewer bed bugs or vermin in a new place, that's a plus. HTFU
    I've actually spent a lot of time in SE Asia. TP in the can, no hot water, no a/c, bunk room with a bunch of ppl...far from luxury. Lived in a village in Southern Thailand where I taught English to young Burmese refugees. I can rough it.

I just don't think that lacking light bulbs and doors every time you travel is necessarily 'standard', at least for me. What's standard to us is based of our own unique experiences.
    Last edited by spankthepow; 02-05-2014 at 03:54 PM. Reason: ETA

Quote Originally Posted by grskier View Post
    I don't agree with your last statement.. especially when competing at that level, on that type of course.. there really isn't a lot of middle gears.. you gotta get up to full speed.. maintain at full speed, etc. I guess he could do single corks instead of doubles, etc.. but the kid just wants to repeat in the pipe.. and isn't a top tier (meaning typical medal threat) in slope.

I didn't realize that someone couldn't fill his spot though.. that sucks.
    Touché, I'll agree with that. However, I think if you're a top tier athlete and agree to take the spot, you don't just bail. If he just wants to repeat in the pipe, he shouldn't have taken a slope style spot.

Actually, now that I think about it, do they not have back-ups? I vaguely remember hearing that some cyclists or swimmers went to London as back ups. Maybe I'm imagining things though...

Hugh Conway Guest
    I've actually spent a lot of time in SE Asia. TP in the can, no hot water, no a/c, bunk room with a bunch of ppl...far from luxury. Lived in a village in Southern Thailand where I taught English to young Burmese refugees. I can rough it.
    So, what's the malfunction? They raise dogs for food in Vietnam. Dogs die in the street all the time in SEAsia, and every little bit above you said was "below your standards" and you were shocked at ATrain saying, is not uncommon broadly there. I get it's not Olympics, I don't get this.

But IMO its not standard when the dogs are dead/dying in the street because a company was paid to to poison them by the hundreds.
    Every 3rd world country I have been to where you stay in affordable, i.e. relatively cheap accommodations. Sure I'd love better but I'm not expecting it in the 3rd world. Stray dog culls in major metropolis' across the world is not something new either. Been done before. Ethical? Depends on the circumstances. New? Hell no.

As far as Shaun White it sucks that he went this long and someone missed out on a spot. Majorly sucks. With that said if his mind isn't 100% then he made the right decision. He should have focused on pipe from the start. Definitely not a pussy. You don't get to the top by being a pussy. Has he let fame get to his head over the years? It would be hard not too.

Quote Originally Posted by cyborg View Post
    Actually, now that I think about it, do they not have back-ups? I vaguely remember hearing that some cyclists or swimmers went to London as back ups. Maybe I'm imagining things though...
    "The U.S. team later announced it would not fill the vacated spot with a replacement, and White's absence will mean he'll forfeit the chance to become the first Winter Olympian with at least four events to win every event he's entered."

Read More: http://sportsillustrated.cnn.com/-ol...#ixzz2sUG8K4Fu
    Brought to you by Carl's Jr.

McMorris is competing with a broken rib. Balls of steel on that one, can't imagine how much it must hurt on even minor falls.

NYtimes article on him not too long ago...seems like a douche

http://www.nytimes.com/2014/01/12/ma...t-anymore.html

Quote Originally Posted by Atrain505 View Post
    ...Has he let fame get to his head over the years? It would be hard not too.
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	ImageUploadedByTGR Forums1391638656.316862.jpg 
Views:	190 
Size:	56.7 KB 
ID:	150093

I'd feel pretty cool

Quote Originally Posted by Hugh Conway View Post
    So, what's the malfunction? They raise dogs for food in Vietnam. Dogs die in the street all the time in SEAsia, and every little bit above you said was "below your standards" and you were shocked at ATrain saying, is not uncommon broadly there. I get it's not Olympics, I don't get this.
    That was more in response to "HTFU". And for the record, I wasn't attacking A-Train. I think we all just have different opinions of what standard travel is. Anyways, this part of the discussion probably belongs in the padded room.

Back to SW.

This comp will be interesting to watch regardless. Anyone know when this is set to be aired?

Quote Originally Posted by ak_powder_monkey View Post
    ....All top level slope style courses are super dangerous. It's an 80 foot table, if he doesn't want to hit them he should hit the ladies course....
    Really? Are you speaking from experience? Got any video or pics of you hitting an 80 foot kicker in a slopestyle comp? It doesn't take a lot of balls to sit at a computer and call White a Pussy but you gotta have HUGE balls to take a beater like this in the morning and then get back up and a WIN comp in the afternoon to qualify for the Olympics.....

Shaun White's scorpion on Jan. 16, 2014....

Edit: I will say that he pissed people off at Northstar last winter by closing down parts of the park for training sessions and then not showing up and for walking around the base area with his posse like he owned the place, but those are PR problems, not signs of a lack of talent.
    Last edited by sftc; 02-05-2014 at 06:08 PM. Reason: Put in the correct video
    # # #

"...You must be a big skier then." I said "no, I'm a petite size 2." Awkward silence.... - Parvo

Heard Hugh lost a testy in the tram line at Kitzbühel via altercation with the local monoboard team circa '93. Has been bitter about game theory since.- Klauss

^^^ am I interested in watching SW scoripon? Sure.

Do I want to sift through a 2 1/2 hr video to find it? Fuck no.

Fail

Discuss...
    I'm not a fan of his, and could really give two pisses about what he does/doesn't do...with that said...

He makes more taking a piss than you did all last year (you know - in the thread you nuked cuz you were being a bitch about your ski instructor aspirations and expectations, Rutecki...). Let me know how many golds you have on your mantle. He didn't get those by accident. I wish I was a pussy like him.

At least he doesn't whine about women on Internet forums...
    Last edited by axebiker; 02-06-2014 at 10:45 AM.
    Gravity. It's the law.

Quote Originally Posted by grskier View Post
    This....

Wondering why the skiers are drooling over this course and the boarders are like no bueno.
    Because snowboarders are busy flapping their arms between features
    Quote Originally Posted by Hohes View Post
    I couldn't give a fuck, but today I am procrastinating so TGR is my filler.
    Quote Originally Posted by skifishbum View Post
    faceshots are a powerful currency
    get paid

Quote Originally Posted by JayPowHound View Post
    ^^^ am I interested in watching SW scoripon? Sure.

Do I want to sift through a 2 1/2 hr video to find it? Fuck no.

Fail
    Fixed, all better now...
    # # #

"...You must be a big skier then." I said "no, I'm a petite size 2." Awkward silence.... - Parvo

Heard Hugh lost a testy in the tram line at Kitzbühel via altercation with the local monoboard team circa '93. Has been bitter about game theory since.- Klauss

...looks to me like there are fairly short trannies though.
    you're thinking of Japan, in the Ginza but the back alley type places...
    ... jfost is really ignorant, he often just needs simple facts laid out for him...

This comp will be interesting to watch regardless. Anyone know when this is set to be aired?
    I believe it is tomorrow night actually. Go to the Olympics site and the whole lineup day by day is there.
    Brought to you by Carl's Jr.

Good god he's funding a documentary about himself. He's not even trying to keep it quiet.

Clearly he was thinking "the world needs to l know more about me, Shaun White. Better call a documentary filmmaker and see how much it costs."

He's got his moment and he's squeezing it fiercely. I'd probably do the same thing if I wasn't so lazy, but man, funding your own documentary!?!?

Kids these days.

# # #