Recommend me a reel for a 3wt

It's cold as balls in Bozeman, so naturally I'm thinking about fishing while I stare at the slushy river. I picked up a Winston BIIt 7 1/2 ft 3wt for a steal a couple months ago and haven't gotten a reel for it yet for obvious reasons. What do you guys have or like? Haven't really done any research so far so not partial to any brands specifically. Or should I just wrap the line around my hand since it's a reel on a trout stick thanks for the help guys

I like the Galvan brookie.
    Well maybe I'm the faggot America
    I'm not a part of a redneck agenda

I also really like the the Galvan Brookie. I have one on my 4wt. It is nice and light and modern looking. Also, super smooth and super fun to fish. I have caught a couple of decent rainbows in the 18 to 20 inch range with it on the Ark, Blue, and S. Platte, and I have to say, if was a freaking blast.

Prior to getting the Galvan I had pretty much always used a reel with a disc drag and while catching fish is always fun...playing an average fish in current and having it take line off your reel a couple times and reaching up with a finger or your palm to slow it down is just so much fucking fun.

That said, if you are looking for something a little cheaper, the Orvis Battenkill reels have super nice machining for $99 and feel really smooth. If you need something a little heavier to balance the rod, the LL Bean Pocket Water has gotten great reviews and is only $79. Might be a bit heavy for a graphite 3wt though.
    Last edited by gretch6364; 02-04-2014 at 07:28 PM.
    "We had nice 3 days in your autonomous mountain realm last weekend." - Tom from Austria (the Rax ski guy)

Thanks guys. The galvan looks pretty sweet. I can get a deal on most brands so don't need a super cheap reel dollarwise, not that I want to drop a buncha coin on a 3wt reel. The drag system seems pretty sweet and I'm all about simple(not a huge fan of my konic on my TFO). I'd be mostly fishing for small brookies and cutts around Montana but might get into some high lake pigs with it as well.

I hope this works...using a different photo hosting site. Caught all these on the brookie, and they all pulled a nice chunk of line off the reel a couple times.

image by hawley_nathan, on Flickr

"We had nice 3 days in your autonomous mountain realm last weekend." - Tom from Austria (the Rax ski guy)

When I bought it, I had to purchase online becuase they had just come out and no one local had them. This is what the drag looks like:

Untitled by hawley_nathan, on Flickr

Then there is a little ball bearing on a spring that hits those ridges and "clicks." It is super simple and I have not changed it from the factory settings. I really like it.

Sage Click's are pretty sweet too.

Unless I can get a good deal it's prob more than I want to spend but has anyone tried the Abel creek large arbors?

Ross Evolution LT ?

It is light and has good stopping power.
    I have a one, it has put some nice fish in the net.

You could find one for a decent price out there.

A LSD Steakhouse somewhere in the Wasatch
    3 weight????
    might as well tenkara
    "When the child was a child it waited patiently for the first snow and it still does"- Van "The Man" Morrison
    "I find I have already had my reward, in the doing of the thing" - Buzz Holmstrom
    "THIS IS WHAT WE DO"-AML -ski on in eternal peace
    "I have posted in here but haven't read it carefully with my trusty PoliAsshat antenna on."-DipshitDanno

Quote Originally Posted by DeathVan View Post
    Ross Evolution LT ?
    I have one on my 6wt. Nice reel...but seems overkill for a 3wt IMHO. If you are gonna spend that kind of money, and Abel TR would be a great choice.

How are you supposed to look cool back at camp?

fwiw I like to fish undersized gear on oversized fish, it makes me feel big and strong!
    -not sure what font to use for sarcasm, so I went with comic sans

Quote Originally Posted by DeathVan View Post

fwiw I like to fish undersized gear on oversized fish, it makes me feel big and strong!
    -not sure what font to use for sarcasm, so I went with comic sans
    Haha. Since my 3wt is a fiberglass 7 footer, it doesn't get fished on any streams wider than probably 50ft and the biggest fish I have caught on it was smaller than any of the fish posted in this thread. Although I have hooked into a big one when I had to fish it on the S. Platte because I lent out all my other rods that day...I didn't catch it though...not enough back bone for my limited fish fighting skill set. I felt sad.

I don't really like to fish undersized gear for the job...I have however become a big fan of click and pawl drags.

Snapt...the Sage Click certainly is a cool reel as well. Especially now that it comes in black.

I picked up an Orvis BBS reel at one of their outlets this summer and it does the line holding duties just fine.
    Be careful about buying snowboard goggles for skiing. Snowboard goggles come in right eye and left eye (for goofy-footers) dominant models. This can make it hard to see correctly when skiing because you are facing straight down the hill, not sideways.

Quote Originally Posted by skifishbum View Post
    3 weight????
    might as well tenkara
    haha. was waiting for it

i know you're joking but this is the motto on my boat(the old yellowstone drifter needs some love this winter)

thanks for the replies fellows. Really liking the galvan and the abel creek series large arbor but no shops have any around so it makes it hard to see how it'll balance out on the rod. oh well not like i'm headed out creek fishing any time soon, it was a balmy -30 when i woke up without wind chill.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	1897827_785534154794882_192943254_n.jpg 
Views:	63 
Size:	41.6 KB 
ID:	150165  

I have a new Bauer Rogue 1 for you. Cost.