Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 LastLast
Results 51 to 75 of 112
  1. #51
    Join Date
    Aug 2005
    Location
    ne pennsylvania
    Posts
    3,324
    ^^^spoken the truth....I amazed every time I go there, and not just with pizza - amazing restaurants it seems on every block.

  2. #52
    Join Date
    Nov 2003
    Location
    Stuck in perpetual Meh
    Posts
    35,288
    City Pie on 72nd & Amsterdam is pretty fucking good.

  3. #53
    Join Date
    Oct 2003
    Location
    OOTAH
    Posts
    2,468
    Amy Ruth's in Harlem for chicken and waffles. I dream about it.
    Samuel L. Jackson as Jules Winnfield: Oh, I'm sorry. Did I break your concentration?

  4. #54
    Join Date
    Oct 2003
    Location
    Joe's Garage
    Posts
    5,855
    You go to the halal guys for gyros and souvlaki. Not hot dogs, guys at like 55 and 6th are supposed to be the best, though not sure the line is worth it.
    No Roger, No Rerun, No Rent

  5. #55
    Join Date
    Dec 2010
    Posts
    7,530
    Quote Originally Posted by OldLarry View Post
    You go to the halal guys for gyros and souvlaki. Not hot dogs, guys at like 55 and 6th are supposed to be the best, though not sure the line is worth it.
    I've never been 100% comfortable with the street meat.. Why that'd be different than a sausage sandwich or a hot dog, I couldn't explain...
    Quote Originally Posted by Hugh Conway View Post
    Hugh Conway sucks
    Quote Originally Posted by Meadow Skipper View Post
    I guess stfu might be right about steel toed boots
    Quote Originally Posted by pedoherp69 View Post
    I know actual transpeople.
    Quote Originally Posted by rokjoxx View Post
    We is got a good military, maybe cause some kids get to shooting sports early here.

  6. #56
    Join Date
    Jan 2013
    Posts
    340
    Street meat is always suspect, yet always delicious. Such a quandary!!!

  7. #57
    Join Date
    Apr 2007
    Location
    Gates of Hell
    Posts
    4,739
    Quote Originally Posted by stfu&gbtw View Post
    That means he likes it so much, he's willing to ride the 7 back and forth before heading to dinner...
    Or that I just consider anything outside of Manhattan bum fuck Egypt and they all blur into one place to me. Queens, Bklyn - same shithole, different name . PL is indeed in Billyburg. And yes, the platform drinks are still cheap @ GCT. That (and the aforementioned bat hits) is what keeps me sane on my commute home.
    Going where the wind don't blow so strange
    Maybe on some high cold mountain range

  8. #58
    Join Date
    Apr 2007
    Location
    Gates of Hell
    Posts
    4,739
    Quote Originally Posted by OldLarry View Post
    You go to the halal guys for gyros and souvlaki. Not hot dogs, guys at like 55 and 6th are supposed to be the best, though not sure the line is worth it.
    You talkin 'bout Rafiqui? I haven't found it to be that much better than any of the other street meat carts. I always get the lamb over rice and salad with the yogurt sauce. Pretty tasty, but it gives me heartburn for a minimum of 6 hours. And dogs out of the water vs off the grill is simply a no brainer. Dirty water dogs FTW.
    Going where the wind don't blow so strange
    Maybe on some high cold mountain range

  9. #59
    Join Date
    Dec 2010
    Posts
    7,530
    Quote Originally Posted by jgb@etree View Post
    Or that I just consider anything outside of Manhattan bum fuck Egypt and they all blur into one place to me. Queens, Bklyn - same shithole, different name . PL is indeed in Billyburg. And yes, the platform drinks are still cheap @ GCT. That (and the aforementioned bat hits) is what keeps me sane on my commute home.
    Ah, a true Westchesterite...

    "It's only NYC if there's a metro north stop".

    Lol @ Rafiqui... Haven't heard that in a while..
    Quote Originally Posted by Hugh Conway View Post
    Hugh Conway sucks
    Quote Originally Posted by Meadow Skipper View Post
    I guess stfu might be right about steel toed boots
    Quote Originally Posted by pedoherp69 View Post
    I know actual transpeople.
    Quote Originally Posted by rokjoxx View Post
    We is got a good military, maybe cause some kids get to shooting sports early here.

  10. #60
    Join Date
    Apr 2006
    Location
    Minnesota
    Posts
    2,178
    Empanada Mamas in Hells Kitchen.
    Five minutes into the drive and you're already driving me crazy...

  11. #61
    Join Date
    Jan 2013
    Posts
    340
    Quote Originally Posted by jgb@etree View Post
    Or that I just consider anything outside of Manhattan bum fuck Egypt and they all blur into one place to me. Queens, Bklyn - same shithole, different name . PL is indeed in Billyburg. And yes, the platform drinks are still cheap @ GCT. That (and the aforementioned bat hits) is what keeps me sane on my commute home.
    LOL...silly dentist.

    Every nyc foodie knows that some of the best culinary adventures involve a bridge or tunnel!!

    Peter Luger being a notable example. The myriad of uber-authentic asian joints in Flushing, Queens being another.

    Westchester...not so much.

  12. #62
    Join Date
    Apr 2007
    Location
    Gates of Hell
    Posts
    4,739
    Quote Originally Posted by DickMerkin View Post
    LOL...silly dentist.

    Every nyc foodie knows that some of the best culinary adventures involve a bridge or tunnel!!

    Peter Luger being a notable example. The myriad of uber-authentic asian joints in Flushing, Queens being another.

    Westchester...not so much.
    Sorry my joke ruffled your feathers, Dick. So you must live in Bklyn or Queens. Heh.

    Fortunately, I am neither a dentite or Westchesterite. And I am most certainly NOT a 'foodie'.
    Going where the wind don't blow so strange
    Maybe on some high cold mountain range

  13. #63
    Join Date
    Oct 2003
    Location
    Joe's Garage
    Posts
    5,855
    Quote Originally Posted by DickMerkin View Post
    LOL...silly dentist.

    Every nyc foodie knows that some of the best culinary adventures involve a bridge or tunnel!!

    Peter Luger being a notable example. The myriad of uber-authentic asian joints in Flushing, Queens being another.

    Westchester...not so much.
    Never understood the appeal of the outer boroughs. Seems like a purgatory- neither the burbs nor the city. Also don't get people in the village who pay through the nose to live above the bong and dildo store, or TriBeCa to live outside the holland tunnel or next to canal street.
    No Roger, No Rerun, No Rent

  14. #64
    Join Date
    Sep 2001
    Location
    The Cone of Uncertainty
    Posts
    46,926
    Wait, Bong and Dildo store?



    ^^^our OP.

  15. #65
    Join Date
    Dec 2010
    Posts
    7,530
    Quote Originally Posted by OldLarry View Post
    Never understood the appeal of the outer boroughs. Seems like a purgatory- neither the burbs nor the city. Also don't get people in the village who pay through the nose to live above the bong and dildo store, or TriBeCa to live outside the holland tunnel or next to canal street.
    Living in the city is great, but I've had a couple of great places in brooklyn, and one in queens... Nice neighborhoods, larger apt's, lower costs, good restaurants, commute to the city on a metrocard, don't need a car...

    What part of the outer boroughs don't you understand?
    Quote Originally Posted by Hugh Conway View Post
    Hugh Conway sucks
    Quote Originally Posted by Meadow Skipper View Post
    I guess stfu might be right about steel toed boots
    Quote Originally Posted by pedoherp69 View Post
    I know actual transpeople.
    Quote Originally Posted by rokjoxx View Post
    We is got a good military, maybe cause some kids get to shooting sports early here.

  16. #66
    Join Date
    Oct 2003
    Location
    Joe's Garage
    Posts
    5,855
    Quote Originally Posted by stfu&gbtw View Post
    Living in the city is great, but I've had a couple of great places in brooklyn, and one in queens... Nice neighborhoods, larger apt's, lower costs, good restaurants, commute to the city on a metrocard, don't need a car...

    What part of the outer boroughs don't you understand?
    Don't get me wrong- there are very nice parts of each borough. I just don't think the deals are that great/ neighborhoods are that cool, etc. to be worth having to argue with a cab driver of paver whether he legally has to take you home at 1:00 in the morning.
    No Roger, No Rerun, No Rent

  17. #67
    Join Date
    Dec 2009
    Location
    in a box on the porch
    Posts
    4,233
    Decent Italian at this place in Mid-town, Trattoria Dell'Arte.

  18. #68
    Bobby Stainless Guest
    WD50

    .....

  19. #69
    Join Date
    Dec 2010
    Posts
    7,530
    Quote Originally Posted by OldLarry View Post
    Don't get me wrong- there are very nice parts of each borough. I just don't think the deals are that great/ neighborhoods are that cool, etc. to be worth having to argue with a cab driver of paver whether he legally has to take you home at 1:00 in the morning.
    Certainly, the deals are harder to find... A couple of years ago, I took a trip through the old neighborhood in Sunset Park Bklyn (50th btwn 4th and 5th)... I used to have the top two floors of a brownstone there for $800/month. When I went back, those places had been subdivided and a 2br/1ba was going for $1850. But those were still huge compared to the studio you'd get in the city for that money, and the neighborhood was a lot nicer than when I lived there...

    As for getting home at night - no argument there. Car service will take you, but it's $50 at least... When I lived in Bay Ridge, I just stopped going out in the city. Bought a bike and never really went north of 68th st.
    Quote Originally Posted by Hugh Conway View Post
    Hugh Conway sucks
    Quote Originally Posted by Meadow Skipper View Post
    I guess stfu might be right about steel toed boots
    Quote Originally Posted by pedoherp69 View Post
    I know actual transpeople.
    Quote Originally Posted by rokjoxx View Post
    We is got a good military, maybe cause some kids get to shooting sports early here.

  20. #70
    Join Date
    Oct 2003
    Location
    Joe's Garage
    Posts
    5,855
    Quote Originally Posted by stfu&gbtw View Post
    Certainly, the deals are harder to find... A couple of years ago, I took a trip through the old neighborhood in Sunset Park Bklyn (50th btwn 4th and 5th)... I used to have the top two floors of a brownstone there for $800/month. When I went back, those places had been subdivided and a 2br/1ba was going for $1850. But those were still huge compared to the studio you'd get in the city for that money, and the neighborhood was a lot nicer than when I lived there...

    As for getting home at night - no argument there. Car service will take you, but it's $50 at least... When I lived in Bay Ridge, I just stopped going out in the city. Bought a bike and never really went north of 68th st.
    NYC living is a series of trade offs at almost every level of income. I suppose that's not really news-
    No Roger, No Rerun, No Rent

  21. #71
    Join Date
    Jan 2013
    Posts
    340
    Quote Originally Posted by OldLarry View Post
    Never understood the appeal of the outer boroughs. Seems like a purgatory- neither the burbs nor the city. Also don't get people in the village who pay through the nose to live above the bong and dildo store, or TriBeCa to live outside the holland tunnel or next to canal street.
    Well OldLarry...let me 'splain it to you!!

    -First off...it CAN be the burbs. Many parts of Queens, Bklyn, and even *gasp* Da Bronx can rightly be considered "The Burbs".

    -Paying half or even a third of the rent you'd pay in Manhattan is kinda cool.

    -I have 2 cars, and I don't have to move them all over the neighborhood for the street sweepers, or pay hundreds of dollars to garage them.

    -Being able to sleep, without sirens, gunshots, or loud music is kinda great.

    -In the boro-burbs, we have secret spots that don't get blown up by Village Voice, or TimeOut NY.

    -The outer boros are where the actual NY'ers live. Pretty much all of 'hattan is filled with lame transplants from Ohio who watched too much Sex and the City...Out in the boros, we keeps it real!

    -And the best part...Anytime you do wanna take advantage of all the "big city" has to offer...you are literally 10-15 miles from midtown...an easy subway, railroad, or express bus ride home.

    -Oh, one last thing. Very few annoying Bong and Dildo stores out in the boroburbs. We like it that way.

  22. #72
    Join Date
    Dec 2010
    Posts
    7,530
    Quote Originally Posted by DickMerkin View Post
    -The outer boros are where the actual NY'ers live. Pretty much all of 'hattan is filled with lame transplants from Ohio who watched too much Sex and the City...
    That's what everyone in the outer boroughs tells themselves... But if you can find it, nothing beats a good apt in a nice neighborhood in the city. Used to live on w85th, btwn Columbus and Amsterdam... Had a nice place on the 2nd floor, back of the building, middle of the block, across the street from a school. Quiet, walk to work, a hundred restaurants within walking distance, easy access to the subway, central park, museums, yankee stadium 20 mins by subway. That place was easily the best apartment I ever had. But like Larry mentioned, everything is a trade off. That place was great, as long as you didn't mind the heat going out 6 times a winter, and paying $2500/month for 350 sq. feet...
    Quote Originally Posted by Hugh Conway View Post
    Hugh Conway sucks
    Quote Originally Posted by Meadow Skipper View Post
    I guess stfu might be right about steel toed boots
    Quote Originally Posted by pedoherp69 View Post
    I know actual transpeople.
    Quote Originally Posted by rokjoxx View Post
    We is got a good military, maybe cause some kids get to shooting sports early here.

  23. #73
    Join Date
    Oct 2003
    Location
    Joe's Garage
    Posts
    5,855
    Quote Originally Posted by DickMerkin View Post
    Well OldLarry...let me 'splain it to you!!

    -First off...it CAN be the burbs. Many parts of Queens, Bklyn, and even *gasp* Da Bronx can rightly be considered "The Burbs".

    -Paying half or even a third of the rent you'd pay in Manhattan is kinda cool.

    -I have 2 cars, and I don't have to move them all over the neighborhood for the street sweepers, or pay hundreds of dollars to garage them.

    -Being able to sleep, without sirens, gunshots, or loud music is kinda great.

    -In the boro-burbs, we have secret spots that don't get blown up by Village Voice, or TimeOut NY.

    -The outer boros are where the actual NY'ers live. Pretty much all of 'hattan is filled with lame transplants from Ohio who watched too much Sex and the City...Out in the boros, we keeps it real!

    -And the best part...Anytime you do wanna take advantage of all the "big city" has to offer...you are literally 10-15 miles from midtown...an easy subway, railroad, or express bus ride home.

    -Oh, one last thing. Very few annoying Bong and Dildo stores out in the boroburbs. We like it that way.
    You sound really defensive dude. Sorry chicks wouldn't return your calls from a 718 number ...
    No Roger, No Rerun, No Rent

  24. #74
    Join Date
    Oct 2003
    Location
    Joe's Garage
    Posts
    5,855
    Quote Originally Posted by stfu&gbtw View Post
    That's what everyone in the outer boroughs tells themselves... But if you can find it, nothing beats a good apt in a nice neighborhood in the city. Used to live on w85th, btwn Columbus and Amsterdam... Had a nice place on the 2nd floor, back of the building, middle of the block, across the street from a school. Quiet, walk to work, a hundred restaurants within walking distance, easy access to the subway, central park, museums, yankee stadium 20 mins by subway. That place was easily the best apartment I ever had. But like Larry mentioned, everything is a trade off. That place was great, as long as you didn't mind the heat going out 6 times a winter, and paying $2500/month for 350 sq. feet...
    Thank you. One of my best friends lived on that exact block for years in a huge rent controlled spread he inherited from his grandmother. Is that the original Lenny's right there?
    No Roger, No Rerun, No Rent

  25. #75
    Join Date
    Dec 2009
    Posts
    1,086
    Lugers is overrated steak. The bacon is great though. Caramel cone holy cow for dessert!!!!!!


    Headed to koi Thursday night for the first time.

    DBGB has great burgers.

    I do not like the burgers at Shake Shack but the concretes are top notch.

    Need to go to DiFara's for pizza.
    "up in the ski resorts, up in hills they move ki's and had skis making drops on snowmobiles"- GZA

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •