Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 LastLast

Thread: Beast 14

Hi, I just received my Beast 14's with the 105 brake. These my 1st Dynafits. A couple of questions:

1) How wide a ski would a 105 brake fit? Would a V-Werks Katana 112 work?
    2) The locking lever on the toe piece doesn't seem to be solid laterally - there's a slight plasticky/chattery sound when wiggling it. Since it is the same on both toes, I presume this is normal. I wonder if it is to accommodate for temperature expansion of the axis to which the lever is attached. Kind of weird since it does not inspire much confidence in durability (I have an Onyx and no such thing there)

Quote Originally Posted by meina222 View Post
    Hi, I just received my Beast 14's with the 105 brake. These my 1st Dynafits. A couple of questions:

1) How wide a ski would a 105 brake fit? Would a V-Werks Katana 112 work?
    2) The locking lever on the toe piece doesn't seem to be solid laterally - there's a slight plasticky/chattery sound when wiggling it. Since it is the same on both toes, I presume this is normal. I wonder if it is to accommodate for temperature expansion of the axis to which the lever is attached. Kind of weird since it does not inspire much confidence in durability (I have an Onyx and no such thing there)
    The brakes don't bend all that much so best to try them out first and be gentle with the bending and try it in a vise. Don't get all gorilla on them in the cold

That's normal for the locking lever of Dynafits. It's not a structural element.

Quote Originally Posted by rhorjus View Post
    Just got my Beast 14's mounted!

I mounted with the binding freedom inserts and they work great.

One thing to note though: The POZI head screws that you get from Binding Freedom are too tall on the heel piece for the forward pressure to run freely. This is also important for getting into the binding. You will have to go with the completely flat type M5 screws.

I can confirm that the lengths are:

12MM for heel (full flathead type)
    14MM for toe (either full flathead or custom POZI screws from Binding Freedom)

Any questions Im here to help!
    Did you mount free hand or with a template?

Any idea how these are going to perform on inbounds East Coast hard pack? I'm considering getting them but this unknown has me hesitant to pull the trigger on them.

Quote Originally Posted by Driver View Post
    Did you mount free hand or with a template?
    Had them mounted at a place in Nederland, CO. They had a jig in the end so saved me some crazy free hand work. They had just got it in when i took the skis in.

Anybody actually ski the things who can compare them to the 16's?

Been on the 14's the second half of the season. ca 20 days. Haven't been on the 16's so cant compare that but to me they feel bomber. Release when they should, no chattery feel, very connected and secure. I have them on 185 cochise's and weigh 67 kg sans gear, and I ski moderately fast fwiw.

Thanks. Next question.

Would the 120 brakes stick out too far on 98 waisted skis, or do they retract pretty well? I'd be swapping bindings 98 and 115 waisted skis.

Quote Originally Posted by I've seen black diamonds! View Post
    Thanks. Next question. Would the 120 brakes stick out too far on 98 waisted skis, or do they retract pretty well? I'd be swapping bindings 98 and 115 waisted skis.
    No problem whatsoever. I have Beast 16 120mm's (same heel) shared across three pairs of skis with inserts with waists of 118mm, 108mm & 88mm.

Anyone else ever have issues with the first riser - the darker grey one - getting "locked" into the brake? As soon as I step on the riser it clicks into place behind the brake, and then it is quite a struggle to get it out of there and back to ski mode. I can wedge my pole tip under it and pry up from the ski to pop the riser free, but this just seems like way too violent of a motion to be correct. Thoughts?
    I think the potato gun proved the stability.

Quote Originally Posted by ODHGABFE View Post
    Anyone else ever have issues with the first riser - the darker grey one - getting "locked" into the brake? As soon as I step on the riser it clicks into place behind the brake, and then it is quite a struggle to get it out of there and back to ski mode. I can wedge my pole tip under it and pry up from the ski to pop the riser free, but this just seems like way too violent of a motion to be correct. Thoughts?
    It gets better over time, is my experience. In the beginning it feels like you're breaking the binding (or pole - more likely to actually happen).

I still pry away at that first riser. Sure it's loosened up over time but it sure is stiff

Quote Originally Posted by ODHGABFE View Post
    Try this:

Keep your toes in and locked. Raise the lighter high riser to meet your boot sole at an angle (see photo). Step down on the high riser. This will push the heel unit back in its track against the forward pressure spring, and because the brake is fixed will release the lower riser.

You will probably have to fiddle around with the angle of the riser for a little while as it takes some coordination between pole tip and boot pressure. Err on the steeper side. You'll probably lock the high riser in the first few attempts, but it gets really quick and easy w practice. It will take a good deal of pressure on the riser, but use consistent, smooth force, slowly ramping up. Stomping down will just cause the riser to engage or jump out of the way, you want to start to overcome the spring and any heel friction while maintaining your boot's grip on the riser. Stomping on an unsupported piece of plastic is probably never a good idea anyway (but we are already prying at them). After doing this, I step down again to engage ski mode and then strip skins for a really fast transition and no wallowing in snow. When you get the hang of it, the beast transitions as easily as any dynafit.

I've been doing this for a couple years after a friend showed me (previously a pry-er), I haven't noticed any problems in the forward pressure. When you get the hang of it, it works so smoothly I swear this was a design feature that dynafit didn't bother translating to english. But if anyone knows better let me know.
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_2260.jpg 
Views:	175 
Size:	911.1 KB 
ID:	262512

That's a great tip. Can't wait to try it.

Sent from my iPhone using TGR Forums

WHOA. Thanks, i had no idea!

Quote Originally Posted by strange meadow lark View Post
    Try this:

That's the ticket! Took me a couple tries at first, it took more downward pressure with the the heel than I anticipated. When I just pressed with some weight the whole heelpiece (including locked riser and brake) just moved backwards, but then with a little more pressure, viola! Thanks a ton
    I think the potato gun proved the stability.

Glad it worked for ya!

Used your tip today. Worked 1st try, very easy on a side hill. Can't believe this feature hasn't been widely shared.

Yeah it seems like it must have been designed in. Seems like it was a casualty of “user manuals” that just serve as a legal warning to take bindings to an authorized dealer before each run.

These things are being unloaded for next to nothing now. Is there a problem with this binding or just better alternatives out there now?

Some people argue it is still the be(a)st for downhill. Get one if you don't need skinning without raisers and don't mind the weight. I never skied them but regret not to have profited from the low price the last time I needed bindings.

Blurred, you seen them cheap somewhere ? Backcountry blew them out at 175 but I was too slow to pick up on that deal. Would like to get a pair if I found 'em at the right price.

seems like I should revive my gear swap listing
    Aggressive in my own mind

So I was trying to show my buddy the trick to return to ski mode today and he broke the taller heel riser. Anyone know where to get a replacement?

Quote Originally Posted by altacoup View Post
    So I was trying to show my buddy the trick to return to ski mode today and he broke the taller heel riser. Anyone know where to get a replacement?

Contact Dynafit NA. They will send you one in the mail posthaste. It's an easy swap if not a little tricky to get the spring in just right.

Sent from my SM-G965U using Tapatalk