Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 4 LastLast

Thread: Beast 14

Beast 14

Newer cheaper lighter Beast coming out. This could be a contender for those of use who don't need 16DIN on a backcountry rig and don't want to spend $1K (well... I guess $850 now). Anyone have any inside knowledge?

General thoughts?

Do you need to ski with the toes locked out to avoid pre-releases? Do the toes have their own separate release value adjustment?

Mounting pattern anyone?

More/Less/Same elasticity & shock absorption as current Beast? Hard snow consideration...

Whats with all the Gold ano they're doing?

Does it still require the extra metal heel spur? I'm assuming so since heelpiece looks the same.

Do I want one? Or do I want a Beast 16?

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Dynafit_BEAST-14-copy.jpg 
Views:	862 
Size:	309.0 KB 
ID:	150012

be the first to review one here.
    b

That sure as hell looks like a Rad toe.

I thought the toe twisting was a big part of the Beast16 elasticity?
    watch out for snakes

It is a radical toe on a look pivot type turntable. Personally would have rather seen the opposite- a beast 16 toe with a radical style heel that didn't release laterally (no "heel float" when turning on firm groomers) would be nice.

Quote Originally Posted by scottyb View Post
    That sure as hell looks like a Rad toe.

I thought the toe twisting was a big part of the Beast16 elasticity?
    It is a Radical toe...just a Radical 2.0 toe so it rotates!

I am going to say this will need the exta metal spur. When I looked at the Beast at a shop the salesman there told me the spur is there to force the heel piece of the binding back when you step in, thus engaging forward pressure when you are in the binding.

This looks sweet, but I am willing to guess it is still out of my price range for tech bindings.
    Thanks Shane

Quote Originally Posted by cpj.slc View Post
    I am going to say this will need the exta metal spur. When I looked at the Beast at a shop the salesman there told me the spur is there to force the heel piece of the binding back when you step in, thus engaging forward pressure when you are in the binding.

This looks sweet, but I am willing to guess it is still out of my price range for tech bindings.

$750 Retail...Beast 16 goes down to $850. No flat tour mode on either. Weight of Beast 14 is notably less. Cool binder.

ANSWERS IN BOLD

Quote Originally Posted by Judo Chop! View Post
    Newer cheaper lighter Beast coming out. This could be a contender for those of use who don't need 16DIN on a backcountry rig and don't want to spend $1K (well... I guess $850 now). Anyone have any inside knowledge?

General thoughts?

Do you need to ski with the toes locked out to avoid pre-releases? IF YOU ARE A HACK YES Do the toes have their own separate release value adjustment? NO

Mounting pattern anyone? HEEL SAME AS BEAST. TOE WILL BE DEPENDENT ON MOUNTING PLATE BUT WILL BE DIFFERENT THAN RADICAL TOE

More/Less/Same elasticity & shock absorption as current Beast? Hard snow consideration... DUNNO

Whats with all the Gold ano they're doing? FOR THE BLING

Does it still require the extra metal heel spur? I'm assuming so since heelpiece looks the same. YES

Do I want one? Or do I want a Beast 16? FOR MASSIVE TGR STREET CRED YOU WANT THE 16 SINCE EVERYONE ON HERE IS "AGGRESSIVE EXPERT" MAKE SETH THEIR BITCH
    Further data and reviews are cancelled till further notice or more snow is forthcoming.

Quote Originally Posted by LeeLau View Post
    ANSWERS IN BOLD

Do you need to ski with the toes locked out to avoid pre-releases? IF YOU ARE A HACK YES

Do I want one? Or do I want a Beast 16? FOR MASSIVE TGR STREET CRED YOU WANT THE 16 SINCE EVERYONE ON HERE IS "AGGRESSIVE EXPERT" MAKE SETH THEIR BITCH
    Well, I am 6'6"/250 ...and a hack.

I think product samples are around May. So just saying don't hold your breath.

cool. thanks. Won't be buying anything until next fall anyways. Just want to establish expectations.

Beast 14

Anyone seen one yet or played with one? Not sure I need the extra 2 RV, since I usually run 11/12 on my Salomons. Curious what you lose by going to a Radical toe over the Beast 16 toe, any guesses? Put another way, does the Beast 16 toe add anything else other than rotation and a different lever? Also wondering if the toepiece mount pattern for the Beast 14 (and Radical 2.0) is the same as the Radical 1.0?
    Last edited by Lindahl; 08-19-2014 at 07:54 PM.

Lee answered mounting pattern above (and for some reason I can't quote it).

It's my understanding that the 16 gets / got DIN certification. I don't know if that actually affords anything in reality? Maybe the toe release is more consistent 16 vs. 14?

I'd like to try the 16 (if so) with vulcans as a full time backcountry setup that also sees a decent amount of inbounds if the Vulcan skis well.

Just had a shipping advice that a Beast 14 will be arriving at my shop on Tuesday so I'll hopefully be able to answer all questions then

Does that mean you're also getting the Radical 2.0?

Is the toe available as a separate part?

Quote Originally Posted by Ivan Oder View Post
    Does that mean you're also getting the Radical 2.0?
    Is the toe available as a separate part?
    My stock delivery is still a couple of months off but I'm just getting one Beast 14 toe & heel for use as a shop demo, but they are fully functional & production spec etc. Trying to get the same set-up in a Radical 2.0 but still haven't had a shipping date for that.

The Radical 2.0 toe (only) isn't shown on my 14/15 parts list but that doesn't mean it won't be available.

The Radical 2 & the Beast 14 share the same toe so have the same toe mounting locations but those locations are different to both the Radical 1 & the Beast 16.

The new jig (part no. 48232/9999 or 48233/9999, depending on the width) is for the Radical 2, the Radical 2 Test, the Beast 14, the Beast 14 Test & the Beast 16.

I'm told that the Radical 2 heel mounting locations are different than the Radical 1/all old Dynafit models but I'm trying to find out if the Radical 2 heel has the same locations as the Beast 14/16 (which'd be ideal) or if it's something different.

Wait really? Heel mount locations are different too? Its the same heel unit wasn't it? Wierd...

^^^ I read that as:

3 different toe patterns:
    -Radical 1.0
    -Radical 2.0 and Beast 14
    -Beast 16

2-3 different heel patterns:
    -Radical 1.0
    -Beast 14 and Beast 16
    -Radical 2.0 (maybe same as Beast, maybe not, definitely different than Radical 1.0)

I still really want a Speed Radical 14... ugh

Quote Originally Posted by Lindahl View Post
    Wait really? Heel mount locations are different too? Its the same heel unit wasn't it? Wierd...
    ???. Sorry but I don't understand the question?

Quote Originally Posted by adrenalated View Post
    ^^^ I read that as:

3 different toe patterns:
    -Radical 1.0
    -Radical 2.0 and Beast 14
    -Beast 16

2-3 different heel patterns:
    -Radical 1.0
    -Beast 14 and Beast 16
    -Radical 2.0 (maybe same as Beast, maybe not, definitely different than Radical 1.0)
    Yep, that's what meant.

Just opened my delivery from Dynafit & it contained more than I thought:

- a Radical 2 ST toe & heel
    - a Radical 2 FT toe & heel
    - a Beast 14 toe & heel

I only had time to fondle 'em for a few mins but I can confirm the following mounting hole patterns for Dynafit bindings either in circulation or for 14/15(exc race models) :

Four different toe patterns:
    - original 5 hole toe (ie TLT Vertical/Comfort etc)
    - Radical
    - new Radical 2.0 & Beast 14
    - Beast 16

Three different heel patterns:
    - original pattern (ie TLT Vertical/Comfort etc) & Radical
    - new Radical 2
    - Beast 14 & Beast 16

I'll post up some mounting hole location pics in the next few days.

Beast 14

Yeah, I'd love to know about any possible hole sharing with mount points being within .5cm of each other.

I think I need to wash after saying that...

Quote Originally Posted by Lindahl View Post
    Yeah, I'd love to know about any possible hole sharing with mount points being within .5cm of each other.

I think I need to wash after saying that...
    +2

I'd love to know what overlap there might be between the Radical and the Beast 14 hole patterns with the same BSL and mounting location.