Who uses tax software?

Is this the year I do it myself? Tried the home tax software applications about ten years ago, and they sucked. Then my taxes got complicated and I wanted a relationship with an accountant for other reasons. Now, my taxes are simpler. Should I go with turbo tax or some other brand?

I used to use Turbo Tax but have used H&R Block the last 3 years. I was doing my own taxes when I was freelance and it was a pain, but doable. Now, no kids, no mortgage, working fulltime, stupid easy.

Best thing is you can always try it for free. See how you do. You only pay upon completeion and there is no harm to doing them online and not filing with them. Except for maybe a waste of your time.
    Brought to you by Carl's Jr.

A buddy went with TurboTax last year and had a $10K screw up. Dunno all details, but I do know the guy is very detail oriented so I blame the software.

I use HR Block. Mortgages, w2 income and three business entities. Never had a problem.

Turbotax user for the last 10 years. Mortgage, 1099-int, S-corp K-1's, loan interest on the S-corp investment, new home-buyer credit, extensions, and 4 years worth of adjusted returns (work related K-1 changes after the fact) all handled fairly nicely.

It does have it's quirks, and plenty of things I don't like, but it doesn't screw up calculations. It may lead you down the road of mis-inputting some numbers when things are complex, but it doesn't screw up calcs.
    I've concluded that DJSapp was never DJSapp, and Not DJSapp is also not DJSapp, so that means he's telling the truth now and he was lying before.

http://www.nytimes.com/2013/02/10/bu...ewanted=2&_r=0

I use Taxact just because it is local and cheap I know a girl that works there who was able to answer any questions I had when I started with it. After a couple years it goes pretty fast.

Mrs. C (who is an accountant though not in tax) uses turbotax for our return and then has a friend who does tax check it. Seems simple enough to me when I look at it as she's inputting the info. Our taxes aren't particularly complicated right now though since we just have regular W2/1099 income and deductions/credits to deal with and no more K1's. YMMV.
    Brandine: Now Cletus, if I catch you with pig lipstick on your collar one more time you ain't gonna be allowed to sleep in the barn no more!
    Cletus: Duly noted.

Guy here at work uses TT. Says it costs him $50 a year. Don't know how long it takes him, but I just dropped all my docs off at my tax man's office. I think that took about 3 minutes.

Taxes are just something I don't want to deal with. Worth the $200 I pay. I'm done. My co-worker is still debating on when he's going to sit down and fuck with TT.

Quote Originally Posted by GiBo View Post
    Guy here at work uses TT. Says it costs him $50 a year. Don't know how long it takes him, but I just dropped all my docs off at my tax man's office. I think that took about 3 minutes.

Taxes are just something I don't want to deal with. Worth the $200 I pay. I'm done. My co-worker is still debating on when he's going to sit down and fuck with TT.
    It really doesn't take long. I spent an hour max the other night while having some wine and watching the tube on the couch. Both state and federal have accepted as of this morning and I'll have my refund within 21 days. And it cost me $30.
    Brought to you by Carl's Jr.

My accountant charges $375.

I've been using HR Block's software. This year's going to be more of a bitch because of un-reimbursed work-related moving expenses, a mortgage refi, and the sale of a house.

Usually we are just 1099/W2 and done. I had to file an amended one year when a late 1099 showed up. Not a big deal.

One thing to watch for that I have noticed is that some of the software packages will miss certain credits. For example, there are two different types of education credits and my wife and I were eligible to claim both. I had to go back through the software package and force it so that I wasn't leaving $500 or so on the table. So definitely idiot-check it before you hit send, but they seem to work pretty well.

We use HR Block website... super easy.
    www.dpsskis.com
    www.point6.com
    formerly an ambassador for a few others, but the ski industry is... interesting.
    Fukt: a very small amount of snow.

TurboTax takes less time than driving to the accountant's office.
    Living vicariously through myself.

Funny that some have the total opposite experience as me.

I used HR block for a few years without any issues. Then we had kids and weren't married yet. HR block didn't ask me all the questions it should have and our returns got screwed up.... Not really a bid deal to fix, but it happened.

After using HR it was immediately obvious that TT software was designed better... Much better. Turbo tax goes WAY more in depth with questions to make sure everything is OK, and is organized well. Not sure how it is now, but HR software was buggy too and turbo tax has always been issue free. The HR setup was a Clusterfuck too as far as being organized.

Sent from one of those fancy cellular telephones
    If it's green, smoke it...if it's pink, poke it

BUY THESE------> 193 iM 103 - $50 http://www.tetongravity.com/forums/s...d.php?t=179797

TT - and look for discount codes from banks and investment companies. Usually you have to use a special URL they provide.
    "Steve McQueen's got nothing on me" - Clutch

Quote Originally Posted by grrrr View Post
    TurboTax takes less time than driving to the accountant's office.
    Well, I was driving by that way anyway for lunch, so it really didn't take any time.

Just talked to my co-worker. He said it took 20 minutes. Maybe I'll look into TT next year...

Quote Originally Posted by Benny Profane View Post
    My accountant charges $375.
    Depends on just how much easier your return truly is this year, but 375 bones is not much money for a tax accountant to make up for and then some.
    Live Free or Die

i've used freetaxusa.com for the last 6-7 years. But my taxes are pretty straight forward. I have my income, i have my house and it's write offs. I have my kid and daycare to write off, car taxes, etc. I've ran the #'s through turbotax and H&R's website, they all come out relatively the same. If I had rental properties, investments, etc I'd probably pony up for an accountant.