Page 10 of 13 FirstFirst ... 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 LastLast
    Wow, I’m intrigued and now regretting going with the zed on my lighter setup and ion lt on my pow skis...

Comments on brake width? Would the 108mm fit a 112mm ski? Or do I need the 120mm.

It fits a katana vw with minimal bending

Quote Originally Posted by stuntmanbo View Post
    It fits a katana vw with minimal bending
    That’s the ski

ATK raider 14 DIN binding

More brake input please. Can anyone comment on the fiddle factor? Transitions with gloves on doable?

Just watched some videos. Looks slick. Just tipped me in favor of these vs plasticy tectons.

Quote Originally Posted by CaliBrit View Post
    Just watched some videos. Looks slick. Just tipped me in favor of these vs plasticy tectons.
    I think the decision between the two boils down to whether or not they'll see a significant # of days inbounds where the smoothness of Vipecs/Tectons might prevail.

I can see applications for both.

... Thom
    Galibier Design
    crafting technology in service of music

Quote Originally Posted by galibier_numero_un View Post
    I think the decision between the two boils down to whether or not they'll see a significant # of days inbounds where the smoothness of Vipecs/Tectons might prevail.

I can see applications for both.

... Thom
    Was sold on the tectons until I read through the thread. Seems like a bit of a shit show. Brakes sizes, icing, plastic braking, boots denting. I’ll wait for someone else to do an elastic toe. I’ll try atk and it’s bomber reputation. We shall see!

Was sold on the tectons until I read through the thread. Seems like a bit of a shit show. Brakes sizes, icing, plastic braking, boots denting. I’ll wait for someone else to do an elastic toe. I’ll try atk and it’s bomber reputation. We shall see!
    The big one for me is the boot denting which seems to have been addressed with the reshaped bumper.

I haven't experienced icing with my Vipec Blacks, but I ski in a Colorado Snowpack.

Plastic breaking? That's a new one to me.

Brake sizes ... can't disagree with that.

Having said that, I'm loving my Helio 200s (for pure touring), which gives me serious lust for an R12.

... Thom
    Galibier Design

More brake input please. Can anyone comment on the fiddle factor? Transitions with gloves on doable?
    On the FR14? It's easy. I skin in very thin nordic gloves or leather Kinco's if it's cold. Kinco's make it a bit harder to push the lever, but not a big deal. Also I've maybe done 50 or more transitions and only had one lap where icing was an issue under the brake. That was just due to heavy snowfall + deep pow and it took a few extra seconds to clear the ice out. It wasn't a big deal.
    Last edited by kathleenturneroverdrive; 02-12-2020 at 10:40 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by kathleenturneroverdrive View Post
    On the FR14? It's easy. I skin in very thin nordic gloves or leather Kinco's if it's cold. Kinco's make it a bit harder to push the lever, but not a big deal. Also I've maybe done 50 or more transitions and only had one lap where icing was an issue under the brake. That was just due to heavy snowfall + deep pow and it took a few extra seconds to clear the ice out. It wasn't a big deal.
    Brilliant thanks. I’ll pull the trigger.

Idk how much it matters to anyone, but here’s the FR14s with spacer and without brakes.

Was super easy to remove brakes and just required a small torx bit (can’t remember what size). 3 screws per brake - you can only remove them when the brakes are in the stowed position otherwise it’s hard to reach the middle screw.

Careful not to lose that little spring for the button.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_0348.JPG 
Views:	193 
Size:	223.1 KB 
ID:	315400

Sent from my iPhone using TGR Forums
    aerospace eng with a gravity fetish
    ig

Quote Originally Posted by macon View Post
    Idk how much it matters to anyone, but here’s the FR14s with spacer and without brakes.

Was super easy to remove brakes and just required a small torx bit (can’t remember what size). 3 screws per brake - you can only remove them when the brakes are in the stowed position otherwise it’s hard to reach the middle screw.

What's the spring for?

Sent from my Redmi Note 8 Pro using Tapatalk

That mechanism holds the brake up while skinning

Quote Originally Posted by kathleenturneroverdrive View Post
    That mechanism holds the brake up while skinning
    Ok, thanks, i thought was done kind of elasticity help

Sent from my Redmi Note 8 Pro using Tapatalk

I could be off base but that looks like it would quickly pack full of snow and negate the weight savings, at least with the snow I often tour in.

Thanks for photographing. Can one screw on the "stomp pad" portion of the brake to cover up the spring/latch assembly, or do we have a small fabrication task to create a cover plate?

Thom
    Galibier Design

Quote Originally Posted by nickel View Post
    I could be off base but that looks like it would quickly pack full of snow and negate the weight savings, at least with the snow I often tour in.
    Potentially. I'll report back if I find that to be the case. I am more interested in skiing with a leash than I am skiing brakeless. Figured I'd take off the brakes and if it sucks I'll put them back on.

Cheers!

Quote Originally Posted by galibier_numero_un View Post
    Thanks for photographing. Can one screw on the "stomp pad" portion of the brake to cover up the spring/latch assembly, or do we have a small fabrication task to create a cover plate?

Thom
    great question, you can actually remove the spring and latch assembly with the brake as well. Very easy, they drop right out ...and the spring has a tendency to shoot out. I just photographed it like this so I'd remember how to reassemble when/if I reinstall.
    aerospace eng with a gravity fetish
    ig

Had a few more days on my set-up, no more pre releases which is good, Without breaks it does fill up with a bit of snow but works its way out. It's more not having the brakes to muck about with in transitions etc for me. Wicked binding hopefully this pandemic fucks right off so I can feel good about sending it again, meh, probably next year.

So Snuck out for a few more days on it. No more Pre-release but broke the freeride spacer. Might be better call to run them w/breaks so it doesn't get snow bunked up in there. Damn they ski nice though.

Quote Originally Posted by LSeed View Post
    So Snuck out for a few more days on it. No more Pre-release but broke the freeride spacer. Might be better call to run them w/breaks so it doesn't get snow bunked up in there. Damn they ski nice though.
    Sounds like a mini-project to make a brake cavity cover (if you want to run brakeless)?

... Thom
    Galibier Design

^^ that would be a good idea, it was just one of the sliders came off. didn't notice till i was skinning up for another lap. still skied fine 2 debating either that or just running San's pads and seeing if I even notice a difference. Binding skis really nice though, was railing steep corn turns and felt like I was on an alpine rig.

Well both toe pieces on mine now have issues already which is not good. Just emailed Telemark pyreenes where i bought them about sorting out warranty.

Name:	P1130314-2.jpg 
Views:	280 
Size:	1.67 MB 
ID:	331418
    Overall not massively impressed with the new toe piece, The binding skis good but I have had a few easy pre-releases that I think were related to the Toe piece failing interested to hear what other people notice as most of the good press on this binding was with the OG Toe piece. Hopefully they sort it out nice with warranty for me.

Summer Ski stoke for attention. Glad the toe piece didn't rip on me in the middle of this line or it would be a different article.

Name:	P1130305-1.jpg 
Views:	250 
Size:	2.39 MB 
ID:	331419

burly, what/where is that?

Mt Harrison N Couloir in the Canadian Rockies.