Page 8 of 13 FirstFirst ... 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 LastLast
    I never adjust the vertical and lateral values differently on my ions

Sent from my Moto G (5) Plus using TGR Forums mobile app

Quote Originally Posted by JRainey View Post
    freeraider 14 heel with speed radical toe pieces.
    That there could be an issue. You have dropped your toe by 3mm in comparison to the ATK toe, which I think is actually a really good toe piece. I've used mine mostly with a 6mm shim to flatten out the delta. Have stomp block contact with boot, and no pre-release yet.

Nice skiing, btw.

Quote Originally Posted by rod9301 View Post
    I never adjust the vertical and lateral values differently on my ions

I don't have ions but if I don't go 1 extra on the vertical adj for my dynafits I will walk out of them. Sometimes if i catch it quick I can just stomp back in
    Lee Lau - xxx-er is the laziest Asian canuck I know

Quote Originally Posted by XXX-er View Post
    I don't have ions but if I don't go 1 extra on the vertical adj for my dynafits I will walk out of them. Sometimes if i catch it quick I can just stomp back in
    I had dynafits too and never had this issue. I adjust both at 11, so maybe this is the reason.

Anyway, tomorrow I'm getting, or receiving, my new setup, Salomon mtn 95 with Salomon mtn bindings, which have a shaped spring, and we'll see. I will use the expert spring.

I'm getting a bit sick of sidehilling on my Katanas, though I love that ski.

Well if you crank the settings higher than they need to be you could run the same settings with no pre-release issues
    Lee Lau - xxx-er is the laziest Asian canuck I know

Quote Originally Posted by thecazdog View Post
    That there could be an issue. You have dropped your toe by 3mm in comparison to the ATK toe, which I think is actually a really good toe piece. I've used mine mostly with a 6mm shim to flatten out the delta. Have stomp block contact with boot, and no pre-release yet.

Nice skiing, btw.
    No, that minuscule difference in pin angle in the back shouldn't make any difference. Most manufactures combo heels and toes in different ways. Even the speed radical, vs radical 1. One had toe shim, the other doesn't. Now, for lateral release the clamping power at the toe affects overall release value, but this can be adjusted for.

I could be a touch tight on the stomp block, but like I said I've gotten rowdy on these with success. Just noting a limitation if you do get some ice in there. I've gone tele and looked and confirmed ice.

The design of the heels contribute to the lack of elasticity in both vertical and lateral.

Vertical: The pins split in parallel, where other binding "Y" out with the boot comes in and out. This "Y" effect allows for slightly more contact length between pins and boot insert during release.

Lateral: The lateral release mechanism is basicall a ball sitting inside a dentent, this just has less range of return to center force.

Both of these may be minor in the overall functioning of release, but were confirmed by big dawg binding engineer.

I've got two pairs of heel pieces and like them, but they have their design realities like any product.
    Last edited by JRainey; 08-22-2018 at 07:07 AM. Reason: axis change

Quote Originally Posted by thecazdog View Post
    Yep, used the 6.4mm. The Free Raider 14 is about neutral with the shim, the R12 2.0 is about 5 or 6mm higher at the heel than the toe. Both are fine for me.
    Hmmm? The 12 is supposed to have ~10-11 mms of ramp according to Wildsnow and Blister. Does the 14 have less ramp to begin with? I see most people claim around ~10mm for it as well. If the 14 has 5-6mm of ramp to begin with (due to the wider mount plate?) it makes it far more interesting than having to buy shims etc

Could anyone let me know whether these 102mm brakes fit 104mm waist skis?
    Bending or 108mm needed?

The 108 fit my BMT 109 without bending.
    It’s a bit tight though, the brakes touch the ski on both sides.

Thank you.
    I'll take the 102mms.

I recently bought ATK Freerider 14 2.0 and I planned mounting them today. I just realised that there are 24 screws for this binding. Mounting template suggests 8 screws for each toe piece. I have no intentions to use it as a telemark binding nor do I want to drill the hell out of new pair of skis. I looked through pics of previous version of 14 and Raider 12. They both use just 4 screws in the toe. There are 4 "inner" screw holes near the spring and 4 "outer" holes - like a wider pattern. Do I remember correctly that going with wider pattern = stronger mount?

ATK raider 14 DIN binding

My understanding is they did the original hole mounts same as dynafit then added the outer hole mounts for wider skis.

Outer holes should have stronger mount for wider skis. There are lots of caveats about where the mounts would go into with different skis and their respective thickness. For instance the volkls that have stronger reinforced areas are best drilled in those areas.

Sent from my iPhone using TGR Forums

Quote Originally Posted by mtnwriter View Post
    My understanding is they did the original hole mounts same as dynafit then added the outer hole mounts for wider skis.

Outer holes should have stronger mount for wider skis. There are lots of caveats about where the mounts would go into with different skis and their respective thickness. For instance the volkls that have stronger reinforced areas are best drilled in those areas.

I thought the same, but never found any confirmation in installation instruction or anywhere else. I guess I'll just go with wider mount

ATK raider 14 DIN binding

The inner holes are for compatibility with their other, lighter, bindings. The outer holes are for a stronger mount pattern. Go outer only.

So are the inner holes the same as the old dynafit pattern?

Anyone Played around on the newest version? Breaks on the heel piece again, toe piece looks notably different? Possible to Remove breaks entirely? Cheers

^I just got the new version, labeled ATK FR 14, and will on my Wildcat 108 tours. I'm an engineer by trade and my god these are so well made. I think I'm personally gonna leave the brakes on even with the freeride spacer... maybe even try running them inbounds once or twice here and there. It looks like the brakes might be removable even while they're mounted, but I'm not positive on if they're even removable at all right now. The brake interface has a sliding AFD on it. The freeride spacer also slides left/right to reduce friction with translational forces. Pretty clever.

Mounting them next weekend - should I get some quiverkiller inserts for them? Can't decide how necessary that is (are they even worth it?)... just don't wanna end up kicking myself in a few years.
    aerospace eng with a gravity fetish
    ig

Quote Originally Posted by macon View Post
    ^I just got the new version, labeled ATK FR 14, and will on my Wildcat 108 tours. I'm an engineer by trade and my god these are so well made. I think I'm personally gonna leave the brakes on even with the freeride spacer... maybe even try running them inbounds once or twice here and there. It looks like the brakes might be removable even while they're mounted, but I'm not positive on if they're even removable at all right now. The brake interface has a sliding AFD on it. The freeride spacer also slides left/right to reduce friction with translational forces. Pretty clever.

Mounting them next weekend - should I get some quiverkiller inserts for them? Can't decide how necessary that is (are they even worth it?)... just don't wanna end up kicking myself in a few years.
    Damn, their stuff is well made. I got a deal on BD Helio 200s (Haute Route), and this has me looking at the R12 for another application (don't need rv of 14).

... Thom
    Galibier Design
    crafting technology in service of music

ATK's build quality and design is plain redonklous.

I have a pair of FR14s on order. I too do not need 14din, but getting them with the freeride spacer included was just easier. I am planning to mount them on wren108s , which is a pretty strong testament to how i think they will deliver.

I am also about to remount my wren96s with 12 2.0s, though that is mainly driven by the need to sell some other skis with the cheaper Atomic Backlands that are on the w96s not a performance upgrade (Backlands are awesome too). 2.0s are bit more finnicky, but still - the cnc'ing is just soo nice

I’ve got the new version of FR14 but haven’t skied them yet. Brakes are easily removed by unscrewing 3 small screws. If you mount with inserts it’s very easy to add/remove free ride spacer.

Quote Originally Posted by kid-kapow View Post
    ATK's build quality and design is plain redonklous.

I have a pair of FR14s on order. I too do not need 14din, but getting them with the freeride spacer included was just easier. I am planning to mount them on wren108s , which is a pretty strong testament to how i think they will deliver.

I am also about to remount my wren96s with 12 2.0s, though that is mainly driven by the need to sell some other skis with the cheaper Atomic Backlands that are on the w96s not a performance upgrade (Backlands are awesome too). 2.0s are bit more finnicky, but still - the cnc'ing is just soo nice
    I wrote this in another thread, but it bears repeating. When I got my Helio 200's, I was having doubts about mounting them to my GPOs. They were so tiny looking, and I put out a "feeler" ad up on gear swap. Everyone told me I was nuts to consider selling them (they were right). A day or two later, I pulled my wife's skis out for an inspection. The Dynafit Verticals she has on them look so flimsy in comparison (and I used to ski on them). That answered that question quickly.

Only one day of inbounds testing on them, and one mellow tour so far and they're everything I hoped for. A pair of R12s ought to compliment these nicely (on another pair of skis). I run about 7.5 lateral, so the FR 14s are a bit much for me. The freeride spacer definitely interests me, however.

... Thom
    Galibier Design
    crafting technology in service of music

I've been on the Raider 12 2.0s for a few years and they've been great. I absolutely love the heel riser system. What I really want is super light, stripped down binding like the Haute Route with the exact same heel riser as the Raiders.

Mounted

taking em out Sunday, looking forward to it

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_9928.JPG 
Views:	154 
Size:	180.8 KB 
ID:	308901

aerospace eng with a gravity fetish
    ig

A little birdie (BD rep) told me that next years BD Helio 350 is going to quite nice, and the FR14 happens to weigh around 350g

Just pulled the Trigger. Tossing them on a Pair of 4Frnt hoji's. Super stoked.